QWERTZ, QZERTY, AZERTY and Dvorak as virtual keyboard layout(s)?
i have looked, ( forum, faq, q&a, guides, manuals etc etc) so if i have missed it, be gentle on the flaming!!!

would it be at all possible to be able to choose the keyboard layout for text inputs?

the abc layout is last. after everyone spending years with a qwerty keyboard, using the abc board is a nightmare.

surely others out there agree with meHuh?

if i had the slightest clue of programming etc i would make the time to try, but i don't so i can't!!

so to the xbmc gods out there, can we have a qwerty keyboard?

cheers for all the hard work, past present and future.

tiggzz Smile
you don't need to know how to program - it's fully skinnable.

you "just" have to rearrange the buttons in virtualkeyboard.xml inside the skin.

this will involve a fair amount of work though as the <onleft> etc. tags will also need updating.

i'm sure that many people will be appreciative if you do this.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

dialogkeyboard.xml

@TIggzz are you going to do this?
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
well, i asked, and i got my reply!!!

ok let's do it!!

but before i do, just a couple of things to clear up,
in the list, does it have to be in a certain order? or do the co-ordinates take care of that?

could i just change the description and id to match the key swaps?

niceone

tiggzz :d

hmmmm.......

problem, the key count is 9, 9, 8 for the abc board, and 10, 9, 7 for a qwerty. so there may need to be whole keyboard changes, which i'm sure is going to be more than just a re map of keys Sad

tiggzz
tiggzz,

yes, as you found out, you need to completely re-arrange the keyboard because the number of keys in each row dont match a standard qwerty keyboard.

the posx and posy tags determine the location of upper right corner the key. the height and width tags are the offset from that corner.

the id's are used to identify each key. the onleft, onright, onup, ondown tags use the id's the "destination" key.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
wahey!!!!!

all keys re mapped, shift, and caps lock had to move, but going to play with them tomorrow,

once the board looks right, i just need to re map all the key pushs so the cursor goes where you expect / need it to, then it's done!!

but for now tv and bed, will complete this after work tomorrow.

thanks for the direction

Smile

tiggzz ( plus qwerty keyboard if all but a bit jumbled )
*yes i did serch "qwerty" with no results, so i feel this topis is valid. thanks!

is there a way to change that onscreen keyboard into the qwerty layout? for some reason, i am able to identify and select the leters much more quickly when using the "paddle." the abcdef layout has been bugging the snot out of me making me want to hook up a keybord. i know this sounds stupid, but my local friends agree with me on this. thanks for looking.

~yes, i know my spelling and grammer sucks, but it seems my computers can still understand me Smile
(kakureru @ july 31 2005,10:01 Wrote:yes i did serch "qwerty" with no results
well you didn't do a good job at it (guess you didn't search from "the beginning"). merging your post into existing thread.
i use project meyham ii as my skin and i don't like the current keyboard layout. i'm used to a qwerty keyboard.

is there a way to change the keyboard to qwerty ?

thanks,
zoti
no there is no qwerty keyboard. however, the keyboard is completely customizable via a skin file. you can rearrange all the keys however you like (its just a pain in the ass to do so.)
i think someone was working on this and posted that they were almost done. maybe search for qwerty and find the thread.

wth here ya go: http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....y;st=15
ok. i'd like to go ahead and try to create a qwerty keyboard.

i need to understand a little bit more about the xpr file. i figure the keyboard.png file is compressed in the xpr file. how do i extract it and compress it back again ?
the dialogkeyboard.xml file seems self explenatory.

thanks,
zoti
you dont need to extract it from the xpr file... all the source images are available in cvs for the pm3 skin. you can use a cvs client to retrieve the entire cvs repository, or download the images you're interested in from here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs....ia
that whole cvs thing is a little too much for me. i'm working on the dialogkeyboard.xml file and so far so good.

i hope i will have a working version in a few hours.
i would suggest you use an older dialogkeyboard.xml file or maybe you are.

the new ones layout is not like a real keyboard so a qwerty layout may not work as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QWERTZ, QZERTY, AZERTY and Dvorak as virtual keyboard layout(s)?0