Zotac Zbox or ASRock E350M1
I'm searching for a mini-htpc to replace my troublesome Xtreamer Sidewinder. I used to own Boxee Box and other HD media players too. They claimed to playback dts-hd and truehd audio. It does, but it has a lot of issues. I'm into dts-hd and truehd AQ than PQ. I saw the spec of the barebone Zotac ZBOX-AD02-U, and it supported dts-hd and truehd. It seem to fit my bill too. I'll use it mainly for playback bd iso, m2ts and mkv files with dts-hd/truehd, and occasionally streaming HD Netflix, Vudu, etc. I'm planning to include these options for roughly $418 and another $124 (I'm planning to upgrade my two Vista PC's anyway):

1. Zotac ZBOX AMD E-350
2. Seagate Momentus
3. Crucial CT2KIT51264BC1067
4. Logitech PlayStation 3 Cordless MediaBoard Pro (it's my PS3 bluetooth keyboard).
5. IOGEAR USB 2.1 Bluetooth Micro Adapter GBU421
6. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User)
7. XBMC
8. Boxee

I'm I on the right track to accomplish my mission for trouble free dts-hd/truehd playback? I do like your htpc idea for [Mini-ITX] Zacate 2x1.6Ghz + HD6310 ($213) option mentioned by Eskro. If I decide to go your route, it probably turn out to be about the same cost. Do you think Asrock is better than Zotac for my needs?

Here are some of my favorite bd movies with dts-ht/truehd sounds: Kun Fu Panda, How to Train a Dragon, Gnomeo and Juliet, Transporter 3, Avatar, The Forbidden Kingdom, etc are great movies to enjoy HD audio surround sound system, and the latest Gnomeo and Juliet is on the top of this list because it is 7.1 HD.
both will serve you right,,

just note that you cant add a Bluray Optical Drive to that ZOTAC model....

but in my build, yes you can!

its just something to remember....
eskro Wrote:both will serve you right,,

just note that you cant add a Bluray Optical Drive to that ZOTAC model....

but in my build, yes you can!

its just something to remember....
Thanks. Will your build work with all my options #2 to 8?
I'm pretty sure it can't do option 7 Wink
(joking)

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
first of all, the hard drive,,,
why not buy an 32GB SSD?

as for RAM, you need 240-pin DDR3 1066Mhz
eskro Wrote:first of all, the hard drive,,,
why not buy an 32GB SSD?

as for RAM, you need 240-pin DDR3 1066Mhz
I never own the SSD internal hard drive, and it seems to cost more than the standard 2.5" HDD. Is it faster? I preferred larger internal HDD for maximum storage. It'll be easier to bring it along the trip on vacation, and my kids can use it in the minivan and hotel.

I'll make sure that the RAM is 240-pin DDR3 1066MHz. I thought that XBMC can run on Windows 7, why is psuedo7 said it can't do it.
[RAM: 2x1GB DDR3 1066 CL7] G.SKILL ($28 + $1)

a 32BG SSD is $80....
a 40GB SSD is $100...

i do recommend getting an SSD, boots faster, windows feels snappy,
and produces virtually no heat and of course, its totally silent!
eskro Wrote:[RAM: 2x1GB DDR3 1066 CL7] G.SKILL ($28 + $1)

a 32BG SSD is $80....
a 40GB SSD is $100...

i do recommend getting an SSD, boots faster, windows feels snappy,
and produces virtually no heat and of course, its totally silent!

I'll probably go with these:

MI-008 Tower Black P4 Chassis with 250W Itx Psu+sata Power Supply
ASRock E350M1 AMD E-350 APU
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User)

Is there any other software I need to include in my already $380 price list to complete this system? Again, I need it for playback BD m2ts/iso/mkv with dts-hd/truehd. Occasionally, stream HD Netflix, Vudu, etc.
Reading this post can the Asrock e350M1 motherboard be used with openelec, rather than using windows??
paul elder Wrote:Reading this post can the Asrock e350M1 motherboard be used with openelec, rather than using windows??
I don't see why not.
Something to keep in mind is that ATI's drivers are a nightmare in linux
Thanks. That's good to know it seems a good price Smile
I just saw your post as I posted mine, I take it you would not recommend this board if your going openelec??
I decided to take slightly low road, which is very similar to Eskro suggested spec. I realy don't need a huge 8GB of RAM and 40GB of SSD. I can always add it later. Here is my new list:

1. APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
2. ASRock E350M1 AMD E-350 APU
3. OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
4. Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR1066D3N7K2/4G
5. SilenX IXP-74-09 120mm Case Fan. I'm not sure if this is necessary, but I go with Eskro suggestion.
6. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User)

It'll put me at roughly $358 to complete this mini-htpc. I might add a blu-ray drive too. I hope that it can playback dts-hd and truehd!
Here is what I'm thinking for blu-ray drive:

LITE-ON Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal BD-COMBO Model ihes108-29 - OEM

Eskro- I built the standard desktop htpc, but this is my first mini-htpc. The Apex Mi-008 box seem very small. Do you think it will fit a blu-ray driver above? Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac Zbox or ASRock E350M10