Shuttle XS35GTV2 Network and WLAN drivers missing
I thought the Live CD should run out of the box (dharma 10.1) with this baby.

Well on my new shuttle it doesn't. I have no network support on cable and wlan. Used the install feature of the live cd.

I may have to add some drivers. Which ones?

---
By the way, the ubuntu 10.4 activates wlan, but won't find ethernet either.

Is there any help or how to install stuff, that doesn't refer to the old XS35 hardware?
Is your ethernet card detected? Type

Code:
ifconfig eth0 up

and then

Code:
ifconfig

Do you see your ethernet device listed (eth0)? If so, add the following entry to your /etc/network/interfaces file to fix your ethernet connection settings so that it starts automatically on boot:

Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Then restart your networking:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
Thank you for the help. But thats not the point.

The new shuttle board has a JMicron gigabit ethernet, which isn't recognized. I don't even know if the 10.04 kernel has a support for it. 10.04 doesn't show any lan or wlan in ifconfig cause it doesn't recognize the wlan either. I believe the hardware on the shuttle xs35gtv2 is too new. So ifconfig shows loopback only.

ubuntu 11.04 regognizes the wlan, but not the lan. Unfortunately for 11.04 the xbmc is not ported yet so you have to let the source use the maverick unstable one. This may not work.

So I either try to get the Jmicron Gigabit work in the dharma live environment, but I dont know how, or I give a try to the unstable xbmc on 11.04 (resp. for 10.10), which seems to work fine on some ion2 (zotac) boards, maybe it works aswell on the shuttle.

So you could really help me if you tell me how to activate lan and wlan on 10.04 ubuntu.

Here is what lspci tells me:

JMC250 Jmicron Gigabit Ethernet and
Realtek RTL8180CE WLAN
OszilloVonGraf Wrote:Thank you for the help. But thats not the point.

The new shuttle board has a JMicron gigabit ethernet, which isn't recognized. I don't even know if the 10.04 kernel has a support for it. 10.04 doesn't show any lan or wlan in ifconfig cause it doesn't recognize the wlan either. I believe the hardware on the shuttle xs35gtv2 is too new. So ifconfig shows loopback only.

ubuntu 11.04 regognizes the wlan, but not the lan. Unfortunately for 11.04 the xbmc is not ported yet so you have to let the source use the maverick unstable one. This may not work.

So I either try to get the Jmicron Gigabit work in the dharma live environment, but I dont know how, or I give a try to the unstable xbmc on 11.04 (resp. for 10.10), which seems to work fine on some ion2 (zotac) boards, maybe it works aswell on the shuttle.

So you could really help me if you tell me how to activate lan and wlan on 10.04 ubuntu.

Here is what lspci tells me:

JMC250 Jmicron Gigabit Ethernet and
Realtek RTL8180CE WLAN

The Jmicron wesite says that the driver you need is the exact same as I need for my shuttle (first version)
This driver is in the kernel you are using in 10.04. It's just that it does not work with network manager, don't know why.

So you could try:
Code:
sudo modprobe jme
sudo depmod -a
sudo service network-manager restart

If this results in a working connection, you're in bussiness.

Assuming you got lucky, next thing to do is changing your network interfaces configuration to a static one and remove network-manager from your system.

I don't know about the wlan. I hate wlan.

Cheers, and let me know, please. I am thinking of buying another shuttle, I like them very much!

Bas.
The JMicron stuff installed fine now, thanks. I didn't have to remove the network manager.

I first tried the 11.04 ubuntu and installed the maverick XBMC. The platform worked fine, but streaming the films over the net (cifs/smb shares on a samba) didn't work.

So I will now retry now using 10.04 ubuntu. Anyway, the new shuttle is a fine piece of hardware. I installed an ocz drive, and it is amazingly fast. From the Ubuntu boot-logo to the loaded gnome desktop in 11 seconds. And absolutely noiseless.

I come back to you when I have the xbmc work.
OszilloVonGraf Wrote:The JMicron stuff installed fine now, thanks. I didn't have to remove the network manager.

I first tried the 11.04 ubuntu and installed the maverick XBMC. The platform worked fine, but streaming the films over the net (cifs/smb shares on a samba) didn't work.

So I will now retry now using 10.04 ubuntu. Anyway, the new shuttle is a fine piece of hardware. I installed an ocz drive, and it is amazingly fast. From the Ubuntu boot-logo to the loaded gnome desktop in 11 seconds. And absolutely noiseless.

I come back to you when I have the xbmc work.

Good to hear jmicron is no problem.

I have to warn you though, using a ssd is fine, but to get the proper trim support, you will have to format all your partitions as ext4 AND use at least a 2.6.33 kernel. Such a kernel does not come with 10.04.

You may be better of using Debian. I did, I too installed a ocz drive, and I'm fine now.

Let me know if you need help. I've got detailed instructions at hand.

Cheers,

Bas
So 2.6.32-32 down't make this refresh thing on ssds?
Okay, will update this later.

First, I used this guide
http://www.loggn.de/all-in-one-howto-ubu...-testing2/

(use babelfish.altavista.com for translation) Thought this libvdpau was important. Seems to speed things up.

Currently I'm stuck with audio on hdmi. Generally I get no audio at all on ubuntu to hdmi so I ask myself if I missed some "pass the audio crap to hdmi" on the system level.

xmbc config system audio-hardware naggs me with analog or hdmi, hdmi passthrough, Nvidea Alsa Intel Alsa iec598 settings. Doesn't seem to matter what you configure there none of them seems to work :-))

audio hardware initialization failure. how true. if it would work, i think i would have sound.

That's it for today. I'll continue tomorrow. Thanks for your offer to help me.
I don't use ubuntu anymore, sound troubles.
And on debian I get by far the best playback of movies etc. plus sound over hdmi is easy. I still have to add the clicks and wooshes though (navigation sounds) but I don't miss them so it will be a while.
Does the current debian build support ssd trimming?

In this case it may be worth giving it a try.

But I still ask myself if all this whole linux base just for starting xbmc and do streaming is the right way.

What do you think of solutions like OpenElec? http://www.openelec.tv/

Wanted to give it a try aswell. At least installing a new os doesn't take long :-))

On the other hand, I would like to add a dvb s2 usb solution later. Have you got any experience with, especially what model of hardware and chipset you have to buy to get full linux functionality with supported drivers?
The current debian (stable) does not support trim, as it comes with a 2.6.32 kernel
BUT it is very easy to make it do so, as opposed to ubuntu. It takes just some time.

Linux is a must-have for xbmc, windows has a very big footprint. Well, ubuntu is starting a big footprint too. So if you are running xbmc on a monster-giga-flops machine with windows, you should be fine.

Tried openelec, does not satisfy my needs. Plus the quality of playback movies etc is imho still better in debian.
This is probably because I can compile xbmc myself in debian. When I install the suplied packages there is no significant difference between debian, openelec and ubuntu.
This being said, there is indeed a significant difference between compiling on ubuntu and compiling on debian. The latter wins by far.

I have got a linux (ubuntu server 10.04) backend, running tvheadend with 5 dvb-c tuners, a smargo smartreader and newcs to communicate between the smartreader and tvheadend to decode the coded channels.
I live in the Netherlands and for tv broadcasting the cable providers deliver the best quality. So I did not play around with satelite setups.
I've almost managed to make xbmc work on xs35gtv2.
The only issue i have now is slow start of video playback (shows "working..." message for serverla minutes but moving back and forward while playback is nit delaied at all and no buffering pauses). It looks like networking issue. I'm using smb over wifi to access NAS. Previousely I've used sony vaio vgn-z11 laptop with ubuntu 10.4 to host xbmc and it was much better when accessing NAS over smb/wifi.

Here is notes , I was making during configuring the box:

1. Install XBMC-live

2. Build and install wifi drivers

download
driver for rtl8192CE from relatec (there are versions for different kernels)

tar -xvzf rtl8192ce_linux_2.6.0006.0321.2011.tar.gz
cp -r rtl8192ce_linux_2.6.0006.0321.2011 /usr/local/src/
ls /usr/local/src/rtl8192ce_linux_2.6.0006.0321.2011
make
make install
reboot

2a. Wired networking
cd /lib/modules/2.6.32-26-generic/kernel/drivers/net/
sudo modprobe jme
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

3. configure wifi
Edit /etc/network/interfaces and add the following:
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid “wlan network name”
wpa-psk “wlan key”

4. Install packets
vim mc ssh autofs

5. Update key mappings for RC (GotView)

/usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml

Add following before </keyboard></global>

<one mod="ctrl,alt,shift">ContextMenu</one>
<two mod="ctrl,alt,shift">ActivateWindow(videolibrary,tvshowtitles)</two>
<three mod="ctrl,alt,shift">ActivateWindow(musiclibrary,artists)</three>
<four mod="ctrl,alt,shift">ActivateWindow(pictures)</four>
<five mod="ctrl,alt,shift">ActivateWindow(videolibrary,movietitles)</five>
<home mod="ctrl,alt,shift">XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</home>
<r mod="ctrl">Queue</r>
<h mod="ctrl,alt,shift">Info</h>
<b mod="ctrl,alt,shift">ActivateWindow(MusicOSD)</b>
<f mod="ctrl,alt,shift">ActivateWindow(VisualisationPresetList)</f>
<f4 mod="alt">Close</f4>
<s mod="ctrl">Stop</s> <!-- Stop -->
<r mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(favourites)</r>

restart xbmc:
sudo service xbmc-live stop
sudo service xbmc-live start

6. Fix navigation sounds over hdmi

execute "aplay -l" and take note of the card # and device # of your HDMI playback device.

Then create a file ~/.asoundrc and put the following in there:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
device 3
}

Obviously with the correct card and device numbers for your configuration.

7. Change xbmc settings

Digital sound, for all output HDMI, no AC (not supported by TV)
Input device sends keyboard keys (for gotview RC)
knst Wrote:auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid “wlan network name”
wpa-psk “wlan key”

You could try commenting out the wlan interface so it is disabled and connect through the wired interface. If this solves your problem but you still want to connect via wlan, try commenting out the wired interface instead.
I think you should also disable network-manager, since you configured your interfaces to not being managed by network-manager.

Code:
sudo apt-get purge network-manager* -y

Cheers!

Update: btw, if you are running ubuntu natty, the module for your wlan nic is already in the supplied kernel, so building it yourself anyway might cause some problems!
So while running Natty, don't edit /etc/network/interfaces and don't remove network-manager, just do:

Code:
sudo modprobe jme
sudo modprobe rtl8192ce
sudo depmod -a
sudo service network-manager restart
I have to correct myself with the LAN drivers.

LAN is not a problem if the switch is a 10/100, it is a problem though if the switch is a gigabit switch.

In this case you get no link at all.

If you download the latest set of JME250 drivers from the JMICRON website and disassemble the JME, you see that there is a bug query in the code which is TRUE during access.

Now the code seems to enter specific register values if the bug is present,
but this won't cause my lan card to go online using 1000BaseTX-FD.

mii-tool doesn't recogize 1000BaseTX-FD. I'm stuck.

Anyone got a solution for this?
(2011-09-16, 17:48)OszilloVonGraf Wrote: If you download the latest set of JME250 drivers from the JMICRON website and disassemble the JME, you see that there is a bug query in the code which is TRUE during access.

Yes, I followed http://thefrozenfire.com/2011/09/jmicron...-in-linux/
and downloaded the latest version from ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/Ethernet/Linux/

so:
Code:
wget ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/Ethernet/Linux/jmebp-1.0.8.5.tar.bz
tar -jxf jmebp-1.0.8.5.tar.bz
cd jmebp-1.0.8.5
make
make install
modprobe -r jme
modprobe jme

At this point my network reconnected as gigabit Smile

Don't forget to update your initramfs !
Code:
update-initramfs -k all -u
ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full
(2012-03-30, 14:24)Kib Wrote:
(2011-09-16, 17:48)OszilloVonGraf Wrote: If you download the latest set of JME250 drivers from the JMICRON website and disassemble the JME, you see that there is a bug query in the code which is TRUE during access.

Yes, I followed http://thefrozenfire.com/2011/09/jmicron...-in-linux/
and downloaded the latest version from ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/Ethernet/Linux/

so:
Code:
wget ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/Ethernet/Linux/jmebp-1.0.8.5.tar.bz
tar -jxf jmebp-1.0.8.5.tar.bz
cd jmebp-1.0.8.5
make
make install
modprobe -r jme
modprobe jme

At this point my network reconnected as gigabit Smile

Don't forget to update your initramfs !
Code:
update-initramfs -k all -u
ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full

i have try but, there is following error:

Code:
maxx@maxx-XS35:~/jmebp-1.0.8.5$ make
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-27-generic'
  CC [M]  /home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.o
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c: In function âjme_alloc_and_feed_skbâ:
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:1121:4: error: too few arguments to function â__vlan_hwaccel_put_tagâ
    __vlan_hwaccel_put_tag(skb, vid);
    ^
In file included from /home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:45:0:
include/linux/if_vlan.h:337:31: note: declared here
static inline struct sk_buff *__vlan_hwaccel_put_tag(struct sk_buff *skb,
                               ^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c: At top level:
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:3444:1: error: expected â=â, â,â, â;â, âasmâ or â__attribute__â before âjme_init_oneâ
jme_init_one(struct pci_dev *pdev,
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:3732:1: error: expected â=â, â,â, â;â, âasmâ or â__attribute__â before âjme_remove_oneâ
jme_remove_one(struct pci_dev *pdev)
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:3901:20: error: âjme_init_oneâ undeclared here (not in a function)
  .probe          = jme_init_one,
                    ^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:3902:2: error: implicit declaration of function â__devexit_pâ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  .remove         = __devexit_p(jme_remove_one),
  ^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:3902:32: error: âjme_remove_oneâ undeclared here (not in a function)
                                ^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:300:1: warning: âjme_reload_eepromâ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
jme_reload_eeprom(struct jme_adapter *jme)
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:330:1: warning: âjme_load_macaddrâ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
jme_load_macaddr(struct net_device *netdev)
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:1276:1: warning: âjme_pcc_taskletâ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
jme_pcc_tasklet(unsigned long arg)
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:1468:13: warning: âjme_LC_taskâ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
static void jme_LC_task(struct work_struct *work)
             ^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:1572:1: warning: âjme_link_change_taskletâ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
jme_link_change_tasklet(unsigned long arg)
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:1662:1: warning: âjme_pollâ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
jme_poll(JME_NAPI_HOLDER(holder), JME_NAPI_WEIGHT(budget))
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:1687:1: warning: âjme_rx_empty_taskletâ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
jme_rx_empty_tasklet(unsigned long arg)
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:1724:1: warning: âjme_tx_clean_taskletâ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
jme_tx_clean_tasklet(unsigned long arg)
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:3360:1: warning: âjme_pci_dma64â defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
jme_pci_dma64(struct pci_dev *pdev)
^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-27-generic'
make: *** [modules] Error 2
maxx@maxx-XS35:~/jmebp-1.0.8.5$ make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-27-generic'
  CC [M]  /home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.o
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c: In function âjme_alloc_and_feed_skbâ:
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:1121:4: error: too few arguments to function â__vlan_hwaccel_put_tagâ
    __vlan_hwaccel_put_tag(skb, vid);
    ^
In file included from /home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:45:0:
include/linux/if_vlan.h:337:31: note: declared here
static inline struct sk_buff *__vlan_hwaccel_put_tag(struct sk_buff *skb,
                               ^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c: At top level:
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:3444:1: error: expected â=â, â,â, â;â, âasmâ or â__attribute__â before âjme_init_oneâ
jme_init_one(struct pci_dev *pdev,
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:3732:1: error: expected â=â, â,â, â;â, âasmâ or â__attribute__â before âjme_remove_oneâ
jme_remove_one(struct pci_dev *pdev)
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:3901:20: error: âjme_init_oneâ undeclared here (not in a function)
  .probe          = jme_init_one,
                    ^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:3902:2: error: implicit declaration of function â__devexit_pâ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  ^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:3902:32: error: âjme_remove_oneâ undeclared here (not in a function)
                                ^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:300:1: warning: âjme_reload_eepromâ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
jme_reload_eeprom(struct jme_adapter *jme)
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:330:1: warning: âjme_load_macaddrâ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
jme_load_macaddr(struct net_device *netdev)
^
/home/maxx/jmebp-1.0.8.5/jme.c:1276:1: warning: âjme_pcc_taskletâ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
jme_pcc_tasklet(unsigned long arg)
^

same people can help me?
thanks
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS35GTV2 Network and WLAN drivers missing0