Wake On Lan Windows 7
Hey guys,
I'm trying to get my Revo 3700 to Wake On Lan with my XBMC Android remote. I have the setting enabled in BIOS and also under the network adapter on the Revo. I also have the mac address of my Revo in the Android remote settings, but its still not turning on. I'm wanting to turn the Revo on when it is completly shutdown. It is a wired connection. I'm running XBMC inside of Windows 7. I saw that port 9 was set as the WOL port on my android phone, so I setup port forwarding on my router so that it has the static IP address of my Revo and forwarding UDP port 9. Still not powering up my system. I've searched the forums and internet and still not finding anything. Can someone help me out?

Thanks
Make sure "allow this device to wake up computer" is checked in network adapter section in "device manager"
I would start by trying to get the wake on LAN working from a PC using one of the popular WOL clients (I use wolcmd.exe from http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-cmd.aspx).

I had a quick play with my Revo 3610 and I found the WOL to be erratic. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, with no obvious reason why. Since I routinely use wolcmd with several other hosts on my network I assume the 3610 BIOS isn't as good at handling WOL signals as it could be.

JR
Also make sure your network gear can handle WOL. I added a green gigabit switch to my network that does not support WOL.

Before i had no problems with WOL on my revo 3600. Testing with a known good WOL client is good idea also as stated above.
Thanks for the repies guys, I will try these when I get home tonight
OP - did you ever get this working? Curious as I too am trying to get WOL working with my Acer Revo 3700. I feel like I've tried pretty much everything and still no dice (see my post here for the settings I've tried: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/14...-revo-3700)

The LAN port isn't lit up on the back of my machine when its in sleep/hibernate/off mode so I know it's still not set up properly despite everything I have tried. Very frustrating!

Acer's customer service is appalling obviously (you get what you pay for) and they have suggested booking the machine in for repair when I asked in detail why it's not working and showed them the steps I have taken. It's because they probably just don't know how to do it themselves! Oo
By any chance do either of you have your acer's hooked up to a "green" switch? Some of the green switches don't pass thru WOL.
kmanpilkers Wrote:OP - did you ever get this working? Curious as I too am trying to get WOL working with my Acer Revo 3700. I feel like I've tried pretty much everything and still no dice (see my post here for the settings I've tried: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/14...-revo-3700)

The LAN port isn't lit up on the back of my machine when its in sleep/hibernate/off mode so I know it's still not set up properly despite everything I have tried. Very frustrating!

Acer's customer service is appalling obviously (you get what you pay for) and they have suggested booking the machine in for repair when I asked in detail why it's not working and showed them the steps I have taken. It's because they probably just don't know how to do it themselves! Oo

I just looked over your other post. It looks like you covered everything I was going to suggest. One last thing, do you have the latest bios for the 3700? WOL was not enabled for my 3600 until there was a bios update.
One last thought. Are you using a wired Ethernet connection? I don't believe WOL works thru WIFI.
mrfatboy Wrote:One last thought. Are you using a wired Ethernet connection? I don't believe WOL works thru WIFI.

WOL does indeed work through WIFI. I use it all the time at work
Quote:By any chance do either of you have your acer's hooked up to a "green" switch? Some of the green switches don't pass thru WOL.

No "green" switch on my network as far as I know, just a Cisco/Linksys router -WAG120N.

Quote:I just looked over your other post. It looks like you covered everything I was going to suggest. One last thing, do you have the latest bios for the 3700? WOL was not enabled for my 3600 until there was a bios update.

Yep - I have BIOS revision P01.A4 as available from the Acer drivers page.

Quote:One last thought. Are you using a wired Ethernet connection? I don't believe WOL works thru WIFI.

Yes - I was making this mistake to begin with because I hadn't read that WOL as standard doesn't work via Wi-Fi (even the machine sending the packets apparently has to be wired) because the extra information in the header of a Wi-Fi originating packet would mess it up. The Revo is wired however and I have since taken the step to make sure that my laptop is wired whenever I'm testing this (was on WiFi before).

Like I said though, I still think the issue must be with the machine itself, as no matter what I set, the ethernet port LED still does not light up either when it's in sleep, hibernate, or off. To the best of my knowledge, on any machine where the ethernet still has power and is ready to receive magic packet, the LAN port LED must be lit up or flashing intermittently right? I think this is the problem. Once I can get this to happen I will be able to get it to work, or at least know that it's not the Revo's fault!

All suggestions welcome though!
@getafix

Interesting. What type of system do you have? I know my revo 3600 will not wake from wifi. I thought i read it was that way for all systems. Learn something new every day Smile
kmanpilkers Wrote:No "green" switch on my network as far as I know, just a Cisco/Linksys router -WAG120N.

Yep - I have BIOS revision P01.A4 as available from the Acer drivers page.

Yes - I was making this mistake to begin with because I hadn't read that WOL as standard doesn't work via Wi-Fi (even the machine sending the packets apparently has to be wired) because the extra information in the header of a Wi-Fi originating packet would mess it up. The Revo is wired however and I have since taken the step to make sure that my laptop is wired whenever I'm testing this (was on WiFi before).

Like I said though, I still think the issue must be with the machine itself, as no matter what I set, the ethernet port LED still does not light up either when it's in sleep, hibernate, or off. To the best of my knowledge, on any machine where the ethernet still has power and is ready to receive magic packet, the LAN port LED must be lit up or flashing intermittently right? I think this is the problem. Once I can get this to happen I will be able to get it to work, or at least know that it's not the Revo's fault!

All suggestions welcome though!

Hey! I just remembered something. Its been awhile Smile My 3600 only wol from s1 not s3 sleep. Have you tried s1?
mrfatboy Wrote:Hey! I just remembered something. Its been awhile Smile My 3600 only wol from s1 not s3 sleep. Have you tried s1?

Yeah, tried changing this in the BIOs and when you sleep it the LAN port still doesn't light up in S1 sleep mode! Is the LED on yours lit up? This will tell me if it's config that still isn't right or if I can start looking at the actual software I'm using to send the magic packet. I've tried it regardless either way.

Received a reply from Acer today to tell me that the Revo 3700 actually isn't capable of WoL after all! But to top it off, they told me that with the settings I'm using I should still be seeing the LAN LED light up in sleep mode ... I kid you not!
kmanpilkers Wrote:Yeah, tried changing this in the BIOs and when you sleep it the LAN port still doesn't light up in S1 sleep mode! Is the LED on yours lit up? This will tell me if it's config that still isn't right or if I can start looking at the actual software I'm using to send the magic packet. I've tried it regardless either way.

Received a reply from Acer today to tell me that the Revo 3700 actually isn't capable of WoL after all! But to top it off, they told me that with the settings I'm using I should still be seeing the LAN LED light up in sleep mode ... I kid you not!

The green light is blinking on my network connection on the back of the 3600. I guess you are out of luck. Hopefully they will do a bios update.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wake On Lan Windows 70