DHCP help
Hi all,

Just installed XBMC Live so much HTPC boots straight into it and as this is the only OS on my HTPC I'm finding it very difficult to configure!

I'm a complete noob with linux and can't find how to set it on. It's taken me an hour to find out that ctrl+alt+f2 brings up the comand-line Sad is there a more windows looking way to configure the box. I only have a er1402 so don't want to have to install another OS.

Thanks!
Code:
sudo ifconfig -a

to list all your network interfaces, probably eth0. Then do:

Code:
sudo dhclient <interface>

And it should get an IP address.
IAmNotAUser Wrote:
Code:
sudo ifconfig -a

to list all your network interfaces, probably eth0. Then do:

Code:
sudo dhclient <interface>

And it should get an IP address.

thank you! worked straight away, brilliant!

is there a website that lists useful commands like these?
ok it WAS great... :confused2:

rebooted the machine and it won't automatically get an IP, if I do the fix above it works but I don't want to have to do that everytime!

any ideas how to get it to automatically get an IP on bootup?

thanks
MrGooner08 Wrote:ok it WAS great... :confused2:

rebooted the machine and it won't automatically get an IP, if I do the fix above it works but I don't want to have to do that everytime!

thanks

Is the eth0 interface set for dhcp in the interfaces file?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Con...nfigure_IP
MrGooner08 Wrote:ok it WAS great... :confused2:

thanks

I was just about to reply saying how to get it doing every time. Just wanted to make sure that we knew what the issue was before suggesting permanent fixes if they weren't correct Smile

You need to edit the file /etc/network/interfaces. On XBMC Live you can either connect using WinSCP and transfer the file off, modify it and then replace it or use a console based editor such as nano. The command would be:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

You're going to be looking for something in that file that might look like

Code:
#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

Use the arrow keys to get to the # symbols and delete them, then save the file with Ctrl-X, followed by y and then enter.

If there is nothing like that in the file, then add the above in, but missing out the # symbols (they comment out anything after them).
As for this question:

MrGooner08 Wrote:is there a website that lists useful commands like these?

Lifehacker had a good post a while back: http://lifehacker.com/5633909/who-needs-...t-anything

Typing in something like "Linux command line beginner tutorial" will give you quite a few guides too; though I would possibly suggest creating a Ubuntu virtual machine for testing and learning as you don't want to accidentally hose your XBMCLive setup just once you've got it all working Wink
still not holding the config after a restart, not sure what else it could be?

starting to get a bit disillusioned with this already as the sound doesn't through the HDMI

any help is greatly appreciated
Can you post the output of

Code:
sudo cat /etc/network/interfaces
?

If it's in that file correctly then it should persist after reboot without issue. eth0 was the interface you found to begin with, yes?

Reagrding sound through HDMI - what HTPC are you using? I have to set my output device inside XBMC with my Shuttle XS35GT - I can't remember the commands to find the sound device off the top of my head so it would help to know your model whilst I'm searching for it.
fixed! I'd stupidly lets the code as "auto lo" and "iface lo"...
changed lo to eth0 and all is good again! Smile

As for the audio problem, the HTPC is an "emachines er1402"
MrGooner08 Wrote:fixed! I'd stupidly lets the code as "auto lo" and "iface lo"...
changed lo to eth0 and all is good again! Smile

That's excellent Smile although make sure auto lo and iface lo are present too. That's the loopback interface the machine uses to talk with itself and can cause issues if it's not available.

MrGooner08 Wrote:As for the audio problem, the HTPC is an "emachines er1402"

I'll do some research and get back to you shortly.
Ok, can you please paste the output of

Code:
aplay -l

This is mine:

Code:
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1

I want the HDA NVidia device, so inside XBMC I do:

Settings -> System -> Audio Output
Audio output: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 2.0
Audio Output Device: Custom
Custom Audio Device: plughw:1,3
Passthrough Output Device: Custom
Custom Passthrough Device: plughw:1,3

Where plughw:1,3 comes from card 1, device 3 from the aplay output. You can try that inside XBMC if you only have one device, otherwise it may require you to try a couple from the output to see which one works.
Can't copy and paste as it's on a different machine running XBMCLive, code is similar to yours but looks like this:

Code:
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 0/1

From this the audio settings should read plughw:0,3 for both but that isn't working, I've tried restarting the system but still no good
Ok, can you check that the device is unmuted running 'alsamixer' in the console? I seem to remember that being a common thing.

Inside alsamixer, move left and right with the arrow keys to any that have 'MM' inside the box at the bottom of the slider and press the 'm' key so that it turns to 'OO'. Then check inside XBMC the value is still plughw:0,3 and try the sound again.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else it could be.
IAmNotAUser Wrote:Ok, can you check that the device is unmuted running 'alsamixer' in the console? I seem to remember that being a common thing.

Inside alsamixer, move left and right with the arrow keys to any that have 'MM' inside the box at the bottom of the slider and press the 'm' key so that it turns to 'OO'. Then check inside XBMC the value is still plughw:0,3 and try the sound again.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else it could be.

fixed it!

set both audio output and passthrough output to:
Code:
hdmi:CARD=NVidia

not sure what possessed me to try that but I'm glad I did lol!

Thank you very much for your help IAmNotAUser, would have been f***** without your help Big Grin

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DHCP help0