Run VirtualBox from XBMCbuntu minimal install?
I would like to be able to watch Netflix on the XBMCBuntu box. Is it possible to install VirtualBox on an Ubuntu minimal install that's been augmented with XBMC? I have a copy of Windows XP that could be useful.
Antec Fusion Max Remote: Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo; 1GB DDR2; AMD Athlon 64 3500+; nVidia GT210 512MB DDR2; Boot: 320GB SATA; Media Storage: 2 x 1TB RAID 1 on Sil3114; Ubuntu 11.04 minimal + XBMC
You can install anything in xbmcbuntu. Personally I wouldnt call a htpc with virtualbox minimal.

Not sure how this relates to playing netflix in xbmc.
SO if I get this right... you want to install minimal ubuntu then install virtual box and run xp in the virtual box with xbmc?

however combo you want to do this is, running xbmc in a VM will restrict hw acceleration... but hey whatever floats your boat..
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Add the correct repository. Apt-get install.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
I figured since XBMC is merely an application sitting on top of my minimal Ubuntu install, Virtual Box would be as well. I was thinking of shutting XBMC down and then firing up VirtualBox, but since the install is minimal I don't know what the requirement are... does it need a UI (X Windows, GNOME, or something)?
for virtualbox questions ask in their forums... if you want to run window and xbmc just partitions the hdd and install each on each partition, specially since you don't know what requirements are. xbmc doesn't needs a Windows manager but virtual box may do.

For xbmc there's plenty of how-tos

Your intentions arent very clear to begin with, you jumble minimal linux + virtual box + xbmc + windows XP

Im sure I don't want to get involved with all that... but good luck with your project.
You're already running X for XBMC. You can launch it directly. (Simply by changing xinitrc).

You could even launch them both at the same time and possibly toggle between them.
-
Once again X3lectric rains on a parade where he wasn't invited, doesn't contribute anything to the thread and more or less insults what you're trying to do.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
My intent is as follows:

Boot into Ubuntu 11.04 XBMC. I've already got this working. I'd like to be able to Ctrl-Alt-F1 into a terminal and launch VirtualBox running Windows XP, or ideally, be able to select an option directly from XBMC (Programs or something) to launch VirtualBox/WinXP. The sole purpose of the VB/WinXP setup would be to watch Netflix via Silverlight. Is this even possible?

Also, not sure if 1GB of RAM is ok for VB/WinXP.
Antec Fusion Max Remote: Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo; 1GB DDR2; AMD Athlon 64 3500+; nVidia GT210 512MB DDR2; Boot: 320GB SATA; Media Storage: 2 x 1TB RAID 1 on Sil3114; Ubuntu 11.04 minimal + XBMC
You might want to look into "PlayOn TV" which will give you Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, and a bunch of other channels. This would be accessed as a UPNP device from XBMC. You could possibly have this run in your virtual box. But this may tax your system (make it run slow). However if you have another computer running xp, you could run PlayOn on there and have xbmc access it when needed. I got a machine with play on running on it, mysql server, and handles about 4 tb of movies and music. I have 2 Apple tv 1's (soon to be 3) connected to it and it handles every thing just fine.
What I am looking into is getting a roku for 50-55. I have a hdmi switcher from monoprice that I haven't used in a while. (with remote)

Try and get my remote to map with the ROKU's main keys and attach it to the hdmi switcher and when I want netfix or vudu or any of the crappy sites that support silverlight I would just select my source (XBMC or roku) and stream away. About a 100 dollar solution if you need to buy the hdmi switcher. Or just connect the roku to a add'l hdmi port on tv and change inputs. Rolleyes
atari800 Wrote:You might want to look into "PlayOn TV" which will give you Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, and a bunch of other channels. This would be accessed as a UPNP device from XBMC. You could possibly have this run in your virtual box. But this may tax your system (make it run slow). However if you have another computer running xp, you could run PlayOn on there and have xbmc access it when needed. I got a machine with play on running on it, mysql server, and handles about 4 tb of movies and music. I have 2 Apple tv 1's (soon to be 3) connected to it and it handles every thing just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion... I'll check it out.

Well, it's not exactly an open source solution and worse, it requires continual subscription. I wonder if there's a way to link my Win7 64-bit workstation to my Ubuntu based HTPC just for streaming Netflix via UPNP, though. I do have XBMC on the Win7 machine as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Run VirtualBox from XBMCbuntu minimal install?0