Hmm.. push power and NADA?
So I have a

MI-008 case
Zotac GF9300 K-E
E5700 CPU
2x1GB ram

I installed everything... put in case, and nothing is happening! I don't think the motherboard has any leds on it to indicate status or anything... and the PSU doesn't seem to have a switch on it.

So I push power and get NOTHING. Where on earth do I start to figure out what's wrong? Sad

I have the 24pin plugged into mobo as well as that other 4-pin one. Sata driove connected... power running to PSU...
I just did a "paperclip test" and the PSU fan came on...
When i plug everything back in through motherboard and press the power button, PSU fan spins for like 0.1s... basically doesn't move but you can tell something happened. I can't repeat this without unplugging PSU power and re-plugging it back in and doing power button again...

when I press power button i see no cpu movement... or anything else...
I took out the ram from the slot closest to the edge of mobo.. further from fan

cpu fan moved, similar to PSU movement.. basically didn't move

Switched the ram to the free slot and it turns on!
Ugh... i've tried a bunch of combinations

It seems to "randomly" turn on like 20% of the time. Any ideas!? Sad

It seems if I ever plug in anything to the back panel or similar it shuts down. Is it possible it is short circuiting or similar?
Did you install the cpu or did it come preinstalled with the mobo.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
I've got it to boot up with everything installed.

It seems VERY finnicky. I put everything in myself.

Right now im leaning mostly towards a short circuit or similar issue. I basically can't plug anything into the back panel while it's plugged in. Everything will shut down.

But oddly when that happens I can't just turn it back on.. have to remove power.. wait a few... plug back in... wait a few... THEN press again - without adjusting the back panel :S
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:I've got it to boot up with everything installed.

It seems VERY finnicky. I put everything in myself.

Right now im leaning mostly towards a short circuit or similar issue. I basically can't plug anything into the back panel while it's plugged in. Everything will shut down.

But oddly when that happens I can't just turn it back on.. have to remove power.. wait a few... plug back in... wait a few... THEN press again - without adjusting the back panel :S

My best guess is theres not enough thermal grease under the heatsink and therefore overheating, and thus switching itself off to prevent the cpu burning out.
also faulty memory would stop it from booting.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
I did put thermal grease on the cpu - arctic silver 5...

Right now I have booted up and it seems there is no issue. However, I downloaded core temp and this is what I am getting:

model: intel pentium dual-core e5700 (wolfdale-2m)
lga 775 (socket t)
1399.98mhz (200x7.0)
1.2875v
revision r0
tj. max: 100c
core 0: 34 (low 34 high 34 load 0)
core 1: 42 (low 42 high 42 load 0)

How is this?

The thing is, it's running fine right now. I know if I wiggle my VGA cable it will shut off. Same if I try to plug in a USB device into the back. It is instant upon trying to do that..

The other weird thing is once it does turn off I can't get it to boot back up without removing ram and putting it right back in... as if I need a hardware change or to trigger something...

Any help!? Sad
If possible, remove the motherboard from the case and try to operate the system on a tabletop.
The fact that it shuts down when you wiggle anything on the back panel seems to suggest that one of the standoffs in the case may be touching a trace or pad on the mobo.

tobor
Tobor Wrote:If possible, remove the motherboard from the case and try to operate the system on a tabletop.
The fact that it shuts down when you wiggle anything on the back panel seems to suggest that one of the standoffs in the case may be touching a trace or pad on the mobo.

tobor

The zotac gf9300/mi-008 does not have standoffs... no space anyways!

What was suggested was to put a sheet of paper under the motherboard and screw through that... thoughts?
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:The zotac gf9300/mi-008 does not have standoffs... no space anyways!

What was suggested was to put a sheet of paper under the motherboard and screw through that... thoughts?

The case has standoffs otherwise your mobo is resting on the bottom of the case!

Don't use paper to insulate as you will need to make electrical contact with one or more standoffs to earth the mobo.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
DavidT99 Wrote:The case has standoffs otherwise your mobo is resting on the bottom of the case!

Don't use paper to insulate as you will need to make electrical contact with one or more standoffs to earth the mobo.

David

It doesn't have standoffs? What is does have is "raised bubbles" where it screws into. If that's what the standoffs are? :S
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:It doesn't have standoffs? What is does have is "raised bubbles" where it screws into. If that's what the standoffs are? :S

They are standoffs.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
motherboard shorting with the case is the 1st thing that came to mind when I read your problem.

did you mobo came with screws and little washers (little circle with a hole in them) that you might have forgotten to put between the mobo and the case?
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hmm.. push power and NADA?0