• 2(current)
Which remote do you use?
The two remotes pictured have a built in gyroscope that disables the keys when they are upside down.
I keep it simple for my family and use my DirecTv remote on the AV1 switch.
Logitech Harmony 900. I like the versatility and, for me, I feel it has good battery life. I suppose for the price it ought to. The RF feature is nice given that it controls certain devices in a closet server room two rooms away.

I combined it with FLIRC, so that I could custom map each individual button to do whatever I like. I know there are other ways of doing it other than FLIRC but it is simple, cheap and ultimately a tax deduction since proceeds go to cancer research. Helping the world and watching 1080p... Besides, I had to buy a dongle anyway and this is inexpensive.

If you go with any Harmony remote, lag will be (in part) dictated by which device you tell it to emulate as some devices can not receive inputs as fast, so the Harmony slows itself down.
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:Just wondering, why do you also recommend this (quite a bit) older model over the many newer ones?

And aren't there issues with XBMC with lag/slowness when using them together?

I've had the 550 for quite some time. Probably around 4 years now. Had it long before I started using XBMC. Its great because it gets rid of all of my remotes and makes switching between devices a breeze. It has serious WAF. It does lag very slightly when compared to the original remotes but nobody besides myself can tell. I've heard the newer models don't lag. I will probably upgrade to a Harmony One if the 550 ever quits working (or I come across a sweet deal).
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
wsume99 Wrote:I use the Harmony 650. It's cheap for a Harmony but still very functional. The only real limitation is it can only control up to 5 devices.

I actually prefer the buttons on this model over the Harmony One.
Media server: unRaid 5.0.5 | CPU: Intel-Core i3-4360 | MB: Supermicro X10SL7-F | RAM: 16 GB Crucial ECC | CASE: PC-A77F | HD Cages: iStarUSA BPU-350SATA | PSU: Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 Active PFC F3 | HDD: WD Red | 25 TB array -WD Red 4TB Parity | 500GB WD Black Cache| Build Details
prongATO Wrote:I actually prefer the buttons on this model over the Harmony One.

It's annoying that the Harmony suffer the lag issue... despite being universal I would probably be using it MOSTLY for XBMC...
I use a Logitech Harmony One (HP RC6 IR receiver) to control my HCPC. I also use the XBMC remote app on my android phone and a rii mini on occasion. All work and work well.
davepuma Wrote:I use a Logitech Harmony One (HP RC6 IR receiver) to control my HCPC. I also use the XBMC remote app on my android phone and a rii mini on occasion. All work and work well.

Do you get lag controlling XBMC?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/mini-keyboard-wi...tre-517250

Any ideas if this would be any good for with xmbc?
Harmony One with Antec Veris EZ Receiver.

Works very well Cool
Rii Mini user here!

there's also a new version out that looks sweet! --> Rii Touch N7

+1 for Harmony 650. I bought an inexpensive MCE remote (Ortek VRC-1100 branded as CE Compass I think) from Amazon and the Harmony emulating the Ortek works fine w/ XBMC. I am using the nightly build but I think other recent versions work w/ MCE remotes (I gather not all MCE remotes are equal, but this one definitely works.). It did take me a while to figure out how to get the context menu to map to the Harmony buttons, but otherwise it seems really nice after a few days of using it. I've had really good luck w/ Logitech's support as well.
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:Do you get lag controlling XBMC?

No, there is no lag that I'm aware of.
The Xbox 360 wireless gamepad is the best out there. XBMC was to be controlled using the xbox controller. It works much better than the Rii Mini and remotes I've tried. Navigating with the xbox controller is so much easier and smoother than any other controllers I've used for xbmc.
eskro Wrote:Rii Mini user here!

there's also a new version out that looks sweet! --> Rii Touch N7

I use the Rii Mini as well and am generally happy with it. Previously I used one from Maplin and was disappointed.

My only complaint about the Rii is that the touchpad has double-tap and I have been unable to figure out how to disable it. This is annoying when using it in Windows, as my nails get it the way and I'm always accidentally double-tapping. Ye sad complaint Tongue

More importantly is that for me the range isn't very good, so sometimes I have to lean a bit forward on the sofa. I'm not even 2.5 meters away.

The pluses about it are it was inexpensive off ebay. It has a backlight, it's small and handy, and is easily recharged. The backlight is real nice too.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which remote do you use?0