• 3(current)
Which remote do you use?
all what you said about the Rii Mini is true fional...
i experienced the same thing...

But like you, im still more satisfied then not...
Its not perfect, could have been, but im still happy...

When i saw that new version called Rii Touch N7,
i wish i could jut try it and see if its any better overall!
it does look sweet!

But i cant allow myself to buy every gadget on earth just to try them Tongue
eskro Wrote:all what you said about the Rii Mini is true fional...

it does look sweet!

I know! I'm terrible at it. I have such a graveyard of remotes and keyboards piling in my closet! Smile

I have to say, I'm real tempted at trying this harmony one or the boxee remote. I don't know why, but I'm dying to try hehe.
eskro Wrote:all what you said about the Rii Mini is true fional...

it does look sweet!

Were you able to figure out how to turn off the double tap? Because it's the one thing on any touch-pad that annoys me. When I google for help, I get loads of people talking about "Device Setting" tab in the mouse properties...but that isn't there.
for Rii keyboard, first generation, with mouse pad on the side, I don't have a problem on the mouse double-tap at all.
kim1406 Wrote:for Rii keyboard, first generation, with mouse pad on the side, I don't have a problem on the mouse double-tap at all.

I'm not sure what generation mine is, second I think...2.4ghz
fional Wrote:Were you able to figure out how to turn off the double tap?

i looked around by there isnt so much info on this :/
eskro Wrote:i looked around by there isnt so much info on this :/

It's my only real criticism. What I did to help the responsiveness, is I attached the dongle to the charger cable..and slid that from the back of my case to underneath my case. It's still hidden, but about 1/4 meter closer which makes all the difference while sitting on the couch!
nostic Wrote:I use the boxee remote. I love this thing! It feels great in your hand, you have a full keyboard on the back and the top (where I spend 99% of my time) is minimal. You get full nav with left <> Right <> Up <> Down <> Select <> Back <> play <> Pause all on the top.

I mapped a couple buttons on the back of the remote to "Info" "Update video library" "reboot" "Fullscreen".

Plus it comes with a tiny USB RF receiver so you dont need LOS to operate. Only thing that I wish I could do is power on through the remote.

Love that remote.

Can I ask:

How much hassle to get working with XBMC? (XBMClive?)
I assume it can wake from sleep, so why not set power off = sleep, so it can wake XBMC?

Cheers
Rii Mini does not have double tap using Linux, might be a setting/adjustment/calibration in Doze. I just ordered the Rii N7, I need the F11 key for toggling full screen when I launch FF. I have FF set for FS/Kisok mode, but sometimes I want to get to the address bar.

Plus I am anxious to try it with the pad in the center, it's a little awkward on the right side when typing.
speed32219 Wrote:Rii Mini does not have double tap using Linux, might be a setting/adjustment/calibration in Doze. I just ordered the Rii N7, I need the F11 key for toggling full screen when I launch FF. I have FF set for FS/Kisok mode, but sometimes I want to get to the address bar.

Plus I am anxious to try it with the pad in the center, it's a little awkward on the right side when typing.

The centre pad should be nice, because then it leaves both halves for thumbs.
Sadly, it's not a setting or adjustment in Windows, because usually that is found in the Device Settings tab for a mouse - which isn't there. I could try installing Toshiba touchpad drives (yuck) it's definitely something that annoys me. That said, I still like the Rii and my angst over the double tap goes beyond the Rii and to laptops as well! Big Grin
Got to say that I like the Harmony universal remotes. My first experience with them was a Harmony 1000 touchscreen remote I got for my mom, who had ALS and no longer had the strength to press the buttons on her regular TV remote. The touchscreen was a big help, and the RF capability even better because she no longer had to worry about pointing the remote at the equipment when trying to use it.

At home, I use a Harmony 650 right now, and may get another soon. The 650 has lighted buttons and I like the key layout better than some of the other Harmony keypad-style remotes. It's also easier to use in the dark, etc. than the 1000 since you can feel your way around the remote once you learn it. The 1000 pretty much requires you to look at it.

I was worried that I would lose a lot of options with the 650 since it did not have a touch screen, and my Yamaha receiver remote especially had TONS of buttons for functions that were used infrequently, but enough that it would mean keeping the original remote around if the 650 couldn't handle it. Turns out, the 650 is actually better and more intuitive at handling rarely-used buttons than the 1000...The 650 has a small LCD screen and two programmable soft buttons on each side. You basically page through 4 option screens until you get to what you need. The 1000 does something similar, but getting there is not very intuitive and can be confusing.

As far as latency goes...my experience has been that the 1000 had a little latency, especially when initiating a task (turning on/off the appropriate equipment), but nothing serious. It was noticeable, but not irritatingly so. I can see no lag at all with the 650, at least with my Xbox, Yamaha Receiver, UVerse box, and Sony TV. Some people have indicated that at least some of lag may be due to timing limitations of the equipment being controlled, so keep that in mind.

Programming the Harmony remotes can be a little tricky -- even though the Harmony software does a good job of walking you through the process, there's almost always some small something you wind up getting mixed up, so plan on making at least two passes to get everything right. Big Grin Once you do, though, the things are great and WAF is high. One remote controls everything and, depending on your equipment, eliminates the need for the wife or kids to manually select inputs, etc.

Gripes: The 1000 seems to lock up every so often. By that I mean it appears to work, you can press buttons and interact with the screen, etc., but it does not actually send any commands. This requires removing the battery to reset the remote. Easy to do, but can be frustrating. Also, the RF support is great, but Logitech limits it to the higher-end models, which is understandable, but I wish they'd put a friendly keypad on at least one of those models. Big Grin
t2ffn Wrote:Love that remote.

Can I ask:

How much hassle to get working with XBMC? (XBMClive?)
I assume it can wake from sleep, so why not set power off = sleep, so it can wake XBMC?

Cheers

+1...very interested to see how difficult it is to get this working with XBMC.
LB06 Wrote:The remote that came with my Onkyo receiver: http://www.nl.onkyo.com/assets/1/2/0/2/0...2x3511.jpg

I really think it's a great remote. It can control hunderds of devices: TV, STU, DVD, HDDVD, VCR, BR, PVR, Consoles, my receiver (doh) and my HTPC.

To be honest I didn't expect this. When I bought the receiver I was thinking something more along the lines of a regular TV remote or maybe something like the Xbox 360 'universal' remote (support for 50 TVs max, no other devices). If I was lucky. But as it turned out the remote came with a PDF with ~ 15 pages of remote codes for all sorts and brands of devices.

I also like that it has some dedicated buttons for receiver and TV functionality, so I don't have to switch back to receiver mode to adjust the (master) volume, for instance.

Dislikes: well, everything can be better. My remote only has presets and although there are a lot of them, the buttons are not programmable individually and it cannot 'learn' anything new. RF would also have been nice but I really don't need it. Oh and it has no backlight.

but how do you control your htpc with it though?
i have Xsight Touch with rc6 aimpro21 ir Receiver
drose25 Wrote:Got to say that I like the Harmony universal remotes. My first experience with them was a Harmony 1000 touchscreen remote I got for my mom, who had ALS and no longer had the strength to press the buttons on her regular TV remote. The touchscreen was a big help, and the RF capability even better because she no longer had to worry about pointing the remote at the equipment when trying to use it.

At home, I use a Harmony 650 right now, and may get another soon. The 650 has lighted buttons and I like the key layout better than some of the other Harmony keypad-style remotes. It's also easier to use in the dark, etc. than the 1000 since you can feel your way around the remote once you learn it. The 1000 pretty much requires you to look at it.

I was worried that I would lose a lot of options with the 650 since it did not have a touch screen, and my Yamaha receiver remote especially had TONS of buttons for functions that were used infrequently, but enough that it would mean keeping the original remote around if the 650 couldn't handle it. Turns out, the 650 is actually better and more intuitive at handling rarely-used buttons than the 1000...The 650 has a small LCD screen and two programmable soft buttons on each side. You basically page through 4 option screens until you get to what you need. The 1000 does something similar, but getting there is not very intuitive and can be confusing.

As far as latency goes...my experience has been that the 1000 had a little latency, especially when initiating a task (turning on/off the appropriate equipment), but nothing serious. It was noticeable, but not irritatingly so. I can see no lag at all with the 650, at least with my Xbox, Yamaha Receiver, UVerse box, and Sony TV. Some people have indicated that at least some of lag may be due to timing limitations of the equipment being controlled, so keep that in mind.

Programming the Harmony remotes can be a little tricky -- even though the Harmony software does a good job of walking you through the process, there's almost always some small something you wind up getting mixed up, so plan on making at least two passes to get everything right. Big Grin Once you do, though, the things are great and WAF is high. One remote controls everything and, depending on your equipment, eliminates the need for the wife or kids to manually select inputs, etc.

Gripes: The 1000 seems to lock up every so often. By that I mean it appears to work, you can press buttons and interact with the screen, etc., but it does not actually send any commands. This requires removing the battery to reset the remote. Easy to do, but can be frustrating. Also, the RF support is great, but Logitech limits it to the higher-end models, which is understandable, but I wish they'd put a friendly keypad on at least one of those models. Big Grin

Thanks for writing this, that puts it in perspective for me. In Dublin I've been unable to find a store where I can actually "see" these remotes and play with them and being in the Midlands, getting to Dublin before everything closes is a chore enough!

I'm thinking of ordering the Harmony One, which is only 96 pounds off Amazon right now. How do you set up your Harmony 650 to handle things like the "C" key or switching subtitles? Do you assign those tasks to a button on the remote, or is it part of the LCD screen?

My Yamaha remote that came with my receiver and there are a few buttons I could assign to XBMC, in that I can have it emulate a different remote etc etc, but those buttons are labeled setup, options, top menu, and pop-up menu and I think I'd always be forgetting which one I'd assign to say toggling subtitles etc.

Smile Thanks for the info, I'm real close to ordering one. I think having this and then having the Rii mini keyboard for when I need to use Windows on it would be a deadly combo! Smile
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which remote do you use?0