Which remote do you use?
would this work with the linux version of xbmc

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=844
I'm using a cheap MC remote.

Waiting for the TRC-1200.
MikeBuzz Wrote:would this work with the linux version of xbmc

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=844

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104995
fional Wrote:I'm thinking of ordering the Harmony One, which is only 96 pounds off Amazon right now. How do you set up your Harmony 650 to handle things like the "C" key or switching subtitles? Do you assign those tasks to a button on the remote, or is it part of the LCD screen?

My guess is that when you do your initial setup, something like the "C" key would probably be a button you would access through the LCD. However, the 650 does have four "color" buttons that you can set to most anything you want, I believe, so you could make the red button "C" and the blue for switching subtitles probably.

One nice feature of the Harmony remotes with some form of LCD screen is the "Help" button -- if some piece of equipment failed to come on, or the video input didn't get changed right, you can press Help and it will ask questions and walk you through fixing the problem -- very handy for the wife and technophobic people in your life!
drose25 Wrote:My guess is that when you do your initial setup, something like the "C" key would probably be a button you would access through the LCD. However, the 650 does have four "color" buttons that you can set to most anything you want, I believe, so you could make the red button "C" and the blue for switching subtitles probably.

One nice feature of the Harmony remotes with some form of LCD screen is the "Help" button -- if some piece of equipment failed to come on, or the video input didn't get changed right, you can press Help and it will ask questions and walk you through fixing the problem -- very handy for the wife and technophobic people in your life!

I think I'm going to order the Harmony One tomorrow! Thanks Smile

-- EDIT

Would you bloody believe it? I went to order and Amazon raised their price 10 pounds overnight. Blind me.
If the only A/V equipment you want to see is the monitor (TV), and maybe a few speakers, then hide your HTPC, A/V Receiver, Satellite or cable box, etc in a closet, and use a RF remote like this one:

URC RFS-200

It works flawlessly with this USB IR Receiver plugged into my HTPC. Plus, if your family drops remotes as much as mine does, you need something durable. This thing isn't gonna win any beauty contests, but it just works. All the buttons are in the right place, nice backlight, and the RF range is great, too; up to 100 ft. Plus, this combo pretty much fits any budget, at $88 shipped for the remote, RF base station, and USB IR Receiver!! The macros work great, too. My wife & 4 year old can turn XBMC on, or off, or switch between XBMC and DirecTV, all with the push of one button. The macros are easy to program, too. Any true A/V enthusiast knows that once you use macros, you'll never go back. Kinda like using a DVR versus watching live TV. Anyway, this is what works for me. Good luck!! Big Grin

Matt
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
beytarj Wrote:i have Xsight Touch with rc6 aimpro21 ir Receiver

That looks to be a Great Remote. RF, and almost idential to my new URC remotes, it has the menu, info , exit and guide buttons right around the arrows/select keys. Just like the orginal xbox1 remote with xbmc. For $69 at fry's, that is a steal.

I have found very few remotes that have a button layout like the original xbox1 remote. And I do not want to map keys for C or any other funtion, I want the simple one key thumb approach. Anything less is inferior. IMHO.
I considered the Xsight touch. Alas, you cannot assign unique IDs for the RF base & remote so it you have multiple rooms it doesn't work too well. Other than that, it appears to be a good remote.
@fional On the Harmony One you can map the buttons to whatever you what. I essentially have the C mapped to the Info button on the remote, which works better than the LCD.

I only use the LCD for rarely used commands since you can feel which and have to look. For commands you use often you will want to map it to an actual button. That way you can find it without looking. With some tweaking and trial and error it works very well.
jschoen Wrote:@fional On the Harmony One you can map the buttons to whatever you what. I essentially have the C mapped to the Info button on the remote, which works better than the LCD.

I only use the LCD for rarely used commands since you can feel which and have to look. For commands you use often you will want to map it to an actual button. That way you can find it without looking. With some tweaking and trial and error it works very well.

Fantastic! Had sort of a roller-coaster with Amazon today! This morning it went up 10 pounds in price from the day before, so I was trying to source it for less (I was annoyed...) when by mid-afternoon it went down 13 pounds. I ordered it and should get it next week Smile I have an HP RC6 IR Receiver off ebay coming in from Hong Kong that I ordered earlier, so this will be real fun.

I was looking at the TSU9300/9400 but could not find anything cheaper than 499 Euro. That looked cool tho as well!

Smile
I found the harmony remotes work better with XBMC on windows than they do XBMCLive as you can add the MCE Keyboard and MCE remote into the harmony settings for FULL control layout but sadly the MCE keyboard commands aren't recognised in XBMCLive. In XBMC Live i got on better with the Harmony by using the MCE Extender device type.

Just be aware that running the MCE USB Receiver on XBMCLive you will probably need to add a little code to get the Harmony to wake XBMCLive from sleep

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ubu...end_/_Wake

Basically just a case of adding

[HTML]echo "USB0" > /proc/acpi/wakeup[/HTML] into the file /etc/rc.local

(or whichever USB port your MCE IR is connected to)
Like your setup maddog... I have a similar one...

URC MX-810 with RF base station... All my equipment is in a closet in the other roomLaugh

I like this remote because its simple, yet the lcd is completely customizable incase I am in need of more buttons!

Yep, the MX-810 with mrf-260 base is my remote of choice for the HT Room. I use the URC 6 and the newer backlit URC WR7 with a top speed IR Receiver on my 4 other ion2 boxes. The URC6 el cheapo layout is just like the MX-810 except for the lighted screen. And it is indestructible, well I guess it may have problems if you run over it with a car.

Notice the menu, Guide, Info and exit/back buttons wrapped around the arrow keys. Just like the xbox1 original remote, very easy to use and control with one thumb. No remapping of keys for anything, PNP with xbmc/Ubuntu.

Only problem with the mx-810 is the display, it is bright and can not be adjusted. You just have to select dark color backdrops, but the good news is I can use it as a flashlight when moving around the room. Smile
I use the android remote. I have an old HTC Magic that I've decided to keep just for this purpose, and it works great. I can be anywhere in the house and adjust the volume, change the song ...
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
MidnightWatcher Wrote:I use the android remote. I have an old HTC Magic that I've decided to keep just for this purpose, and it works great. I can be anywhere in the house and adjust the volume, change the song ...

Yep it is great, I have a 7" tablet and a phone. What I like about that is I can stream my music and movies from my server to anywhere I am through the internet (car) or through the wireless local gateway.

It is the best, but has one little draw back. The one finger/thumb control without looking approach. I can pick up the remote and lower volume, pause or jump tracks just by feel. I can get to the context menu without looking, etc, etc, etc,.

I can not do that with my droids, and when in the HT room, it's kinda like brail, I need to feel my way around sometimes. Smile
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which remote do you use?0