Dts-hd ma 7.1
Question 
Hi fellow xbmc users

I use my new gaming pc with xbmc for now, but want's to build a HTPC from pimarily older hardware I have, but before buying more stuff and building it...

I have been googling an reading on the xbmc site to find information about the reasons for my pc/xbmc failing to deliver or find a 6.1 or 7.1 signal from either blu-ray discs or blu-ray mkv rips, now that a dvd disc with 6.1 works.

I think I learned so much that it wont be supported in xbmc untill version 11, and that I need a graphics card with 1.3a HDMI for the lossless blu-ray sound format?

In my new gaming pc I am passing my sound from a motherboard header to one of the nvidia 9600gt's and then by HDMI to my Harman/Kardon AVR 255 reciever. I believe that the header on the motherboard is just another spdif which wont support DTS-HD MA 7.1, so what would getting a graphics card with 1.3a HDMI help?
Secondly the old motherboard I have; asus A8n32 sli deluxe, don't even have that sound header to transfer the sound to HDMI, so what to do?
all i can say is that to pass-through HD-Audio
like Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD Master,
many users use these GPU cards in their HTPC

- Radeon HD5450
- Radeon HD6310
- Nvidia GT430
- Nvidia GT520
Newer (those that support HD audio) GPU's pass nothing to the mobo...HDMI out goes directly to AVR. Your older mobo (as long as it has a pci-e slot) will work just fine without that header provided you are using HDMI for video and audio.
Mallet21 Wrote:Your older mobo (as long as it has a pci-e slot) will work just fine without that header provided you are using HDMI for video and audio.

agreed, +1
Wow thanks for the quick answers!

Mallet21 Wrote:...GPU's pass nothing to the mobo...

No it is the other way around; mobo passes sound to the gpu (uses the mobo sound card), but I get your drift. And by the way I wrote something wrong my reciever plays the 6.1 dts core from a 6.1 dts-hd ma track, but still only a 5.1 dts core from a 7.1 dts-hd ma track.

At the AMD page for ATI Radeon™ HD 5570 it says:
Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
So that seems right as you say.

but a little bit weird what it says at nvidia:
Audio Input for HDMI: Internal
Seems a bit like I still need the header on the mobo to pass the sound to the gpu.

The good thing is though that all of the cards promises 7.1 lossless and 1.3 or even 1.4 hdmi. So thanks for that tip!
I also found the ZOTAC GeForce GT 210 Synergy Edition which should support lossless as well.

But are you shure I do not need the mobo sound header?
Nil0 Wrote:The good thing is though that all of the cards promises 7.1 lossless and 1.3 or even 1.4 hdmi. So thanks for that tip!
I also found the ZOTAC GeForce GT 210 Synergy Edition which should support lossless as well.

But are you sure I do not need the mobo sound header?

I've got a Zotac GT-220 and there is no additional connection required.
Great! I know what I need to know then.

Just curious:
Do you know if they are able to transfer the sound from the onboard mobo sound through the pcie port or if those new gpu's provide their own additional sound card build in?
New GPU's have the sound chip directly on the card.
Thought so, thanks a lot!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dts-hd ma 7.10