Filter / Sort by Composer/Conductor/Publisher in Music Library using ID3 tags?
this would be great
KingJames Wrote:Browse Custom Fields in an Mp3 File (Publisher & Producer)
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5948

Would Like to be able to browse other custom fields in a mp3 file within the Music Library. Mainly Publisher/Label and Producer.
Producer is the person that actually makes the music which is just as important as the singer/artist. Here are some examples of producers in the music Industry: The Neptunes, Tricky Stewart, Pharrell Williams, Timbaland, Dr. Dre, Kanye West etc.. Some of these producers jump genres from Rap to pop and even rock. Would really like to have this feature in xbmc. Now for Publisher, when ripping from a cd this field is automatically filled in with appropiate information just not browseable in Xbmc.

Example: Browse By..
Genre
Artists
Year
Publisher/Label
Producer
Playlists

Bump, Please don't forget this one
KingJames Wrote:Bump, Please don't forget this one
Is this still be considered
For some time i have been using my own patched version of xbmc for browsing classical music. It's maybe a little bit of a hack, but works well for my use. I uploaded the tag reading part to trac.
The interface part has to be cleaned up a bit before i can upload it.
The most optimal tagging for me is to use a ":" in the title to seperate the work title from the movement. For example: "Suite No. 6: Menuet", in this way i can keep the album information in the album tag and let the interface treat classical works as an pseudo album.
I hope this will be of use for some with large classical music collections.
sorry for bringing up this thread after one year...
but as I understand, in order to add the ability to browse the library by COMPOSER, we have to manually compile the "composers.patch" to our build.
Is this correct?

So, ho do I complie and add this patch to my Dharma build (RC2) under XBMC-Live installed on Hard disk.

http://trac.xbmc.org/attachment/ticket/1...sers.patch

Any help is appreciated.

thanks
I would like to see support for reading ID3 tags for conductors and composers. I think this would be a nice addition while in library mode. So one can search on composer and conductors. Any thoughts? This is typically for classical music CDs.
Just thought I would show my interest. The inability to view by composer is a problem for classical music.
Reviewing the ID3v2 standard, these fields would be:

TCOM Composer or TOPE Original artist(s)/performer(s)
TPE3 Conductor/performer refinement
I am adding my vote for this as well

I have use for it, and not only for classical music (though I admit I am quite an ID3 nazi Blush), it would tremendously useful if I could search by any jazz musicians, even on the tracks where they do not lead (think of most poor drummers and bass players...), or any other artist for that matter. It is possible to crowd the artist tag and leave album artist for the main band but it is clearly sub-par for esthetic purposes.

-A few examples:
If I want to look for all the tracks where Eric Clapton appears, I have:
Eric Clapton as the main artist
Various Bands: Derek & The Dominos, Blind Faith...
Individual tracks like While My Guitar Gently Weeps

-Another example: Miles Davis second great Quintet: Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Tony Williams.
Most of them also recorded as individual artists. I'd like to be able to list the relevant Davis albums, when I select Herbie Hancock for example, without having to write all the names in the artist field.

-"Feel Good Inc. ft. De La Soul" from Gorillaz could be tagged as follows:
Artist: Gorillaz / De La Soul
Album Artist: Gorillaz
"TPE3": Damon Albarn / Simon Tong / Truguoy / Posdnuos / ...
This way I can also filter or create a smart playlist based on the individuals, without polluting the display of info (the song is still by Gorillaz featuring De La Soul)

-And obviously, the case stands for classical music where you can add additional orchestra/conductor information

The way I see it, the TPE3 tag can be "sort of" hidden, it only needs to be indexed for the filters and smart playlists, and to be included in the queries for artist and album artist.

I also support the composer proposition, where I think a structure composer/"album"/songs is the most flexible (it can work for both classical and non classical music).

And, lastly, I lend my voice for "Original Date" which is great if you want to make Era based playlist, but does not work well with compilations albums.

If somebody wants to add Publisher, my files are ready, but that's not on the top of my list Laugh

On a constructive note, I understand some of these feature may not interest more than 10 users, and as a consequence, maybe a fraction of a developper. If somebody like me was to step-in, would such changes to the database (which is never a topic to consider lightly) be ever considered? Or would they be rejected based on the fact that they may be too intrusive for such secondary use cases? (I could understand this position, honestly...)
Hello guys,

I'm totally new to XBMC, I just tried it for the first time and like it very much so far. One of the first things that I didn't get to work was to browse my music by all the tags as I'm used to with programs like foobar2000. Then I googled a bit and this thread came up.

Am I reading it right that there is only very limited support for reading ID3 tags? So only artist, album, track, tracknumber, genre and a few others are being recognized? I ripped all my CDs and used many more tag fields (many have been mentioned in this thread before) that are important for me to organize my library like composer, performer, conductor, style, upc, language, producer and a few more. Is it really not possible to sort my music after these tags with XBMC?

Sorry if I'm not seeing the wood for the trees... Eek

How do you guys organize all your music if you can't use the described fields?

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.
Currently the Composer and Conductor tags are not read or not used in XBMC.
That's what i was afraid of. A real death blow for me sadly.

So there is really no dev interested in adding this functionality? As there already is basic tag reading capability and this working 'patch' posted a few posts back, it can't be such a huge effort or am I wrong? I have zero programming skills so I can't really be helpful I guess... No
Quote:it can't be such a huge effort or am I wrong? I have zero programming skills so I can't really be helpful

You're obviously wrong, as otherwise it would have been done, right? Smile

Any patch(es) would be gladly accepted, assuming the patch actually did the correct thing. You have to:

1. Read the tag.
2. Add fields to the music database.
3. Populate said fields appropriately.
4. Add infolabels.
5. Add sort methods.

This can be done piecemeal, and as always we're happy to help point developers in the right direction.

There's never a better time to learn than when you need something done and noone else has time or inclination to do it Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for your kind answer. I actually might consider learning C++ to do it myself, but right now I have absolutely no time for this kind of stuff. I thought that this feature might be really easy to implement for mor experienced developers. Well, let's see what time brings. Smile
Is there any developer out there who is able to integrate the new category 'composer' beneath 'artist' and 'album' to XBMC?
Please, please it would be highly appreciated, if I could browse my music database by composer because it is more practical for classical music as said before in this post.
Here is the trac about it with a patch.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Filter / Sort by Composer/Conductor/Publisher in Music Library using ID3 tags?1