• 5(current)
Upgrade to Lion
Is it possible to install what's needed via Fink? (I already have that installed). This seems like the wrong version, though, right?

Code:
$ fink list samba
Information about 8852 packages read in 4 seconds.
     samba                    2.2.8a-1022        SMB and CIFS client and server for UNIX

Edit: I think my fink install is woefully out of date (Tiger maybe?). Will need to deal with that first. So the question becomes, if I can get fink up to current properly, can I install samba3 though it?
How do you use NFS with XBMC? I see no option ?!!?!?!?
aoaaron Wrote:How do you use NFS with XBMC? I see no option ?!!?!?!?

Use a nightly build: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/
Before you get all excited know that I've spent dozens of hours trying to get NFS to work on XBMC and it has been a total failure.

See this thread:

[Mac][AppleTV1] Help With NFS
Buadhai Wrote:There seems to be some continuing confusion here with respect to server vs client. The XBMC SMB client has not changed and works as it always did. In the Mac OS, Lion has implemented a proprietary SMB-like server which, AFAIK, is not compatible with XBMCs client.

I don't think this is fully accurate and indeed I myself have major issues with the XBMC SMB client since upgrading my HTPC to OSX Lion (Win7 machine running SMB server is unchanged). See this article for more info.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/319...0&tstart=0

I am still nothing close to a solution. Any ideas?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:I don't think this is fully accurate and indeed I myself have major issues with the XBMC SMB client since upgrading my HTPC to OSX Lion (Win7 machine running SMB server is unchanged). See this article for more info.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/319...0&tstart=0

I am still nothing close to a solution. Any ideas?

There might be some general network changes in Mac OS X, but no, the SMB client in XBMC is 100% completely and totally separate from the built in client. My MacBook Pro running XBMC and getting SMB shares from an XP dedicated HTPC is unaffected.
Ned Scott Wrote:There might be some general network changes in Mac OS X, but no, the SMB client in XBMC is 100% completely and totally separate from the built in client. My MacBook Pro running XBMC and getting SMB shares from an XP dedicated HTPC is unaffected.

This is interesting. So, what you are saying is that XBMC has its own SMB client and thus any OSX Lion changes to SMB cannot "harm" XBMC. Could I actually go as far as de-activating SMB sharing within the OSX?

The Internet is full of people not being able to access their NAS boxes anymore since the the OSX Lion upgrade. But this is because they are trying to use the SMB client from OSX Lion. If they would use the SMB client provided within XBMC, they could still access their NAS boxes?

Given that my HTPC (now running OSX Lion) is unstable in accessing my file server (running Win7), it cannot be related to the SMB client implementation of OSX Lion, but must be caused by some other "network changes" that came along Lion. If so, any idea what these changes may be?

Thanks in advance!!! This is really driving me completely crazy. My HTPC / file server solution is running stable for years and now things are really unpleasant. It occasionally works for me, but I need to re-boot the file server all the time, which is really annoying...
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I went back to Snow Leopard. It wouldn't wake from sleep (it tried to but went immediately back to sleep) and sound output would randomly switch from HDMI to mini's internal speaker.
What a clusterf*ck. If you're running XBMC on a Mac, it should use it's buillt-in Samba client to access other machines. So in theory there shouldn't be a problem going that way, but apparently some are having those problems anyway. With the Lion upgrade, the reverse is the problem: serving media over Samba to XBMC running on another machine. That's what clearly won't work without installing another build of Samba not provided by Apple.

Again, it would be nice if some XBMC devs were able to say they could build in the client that would communicate with whatever custom flavor of samba Apple is now providing with Lion.
1) Samba is adding SMB2 support. It was on slashdot a few weeks back.
2) It works perfectly fine for me. No problems with it. Hurray for no SMB in the house.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
ctawn Wrote:What a clusterf*ck. If you're running XBMC on a Mac, it should use it's buillt-in Samba client to access other machines. So in theory there shouldn't be a problem going that way, but apparently some are having those problems anyway. With the Lion upgrade, the reverse is the problem: serving media over Samba to XBMC running on another machine. That's what clearly won't work without installing another build of Samba not provided by Apple.

Again, it would be nice if some XBMC devs were able to say they could build in the client that would communicate with whatever custom flavor of samba Apple is now providing with Lion.

A few things. Samba is not SMB. Samba is a 3rd party implementation of SMB. In other words, Samba is the generic brand for SMB. Minor detail, but it will help when talking about the issue and when troubleshooting.

SMB is only made by Microsoft, and they don't share all the details on it. Anyone wanting to make SMB work on a non Microsoft product has to hack it in. That's what Samba or Apple's solution is.

There is SMB 1.0 and SMB 2.0. On Windows you can use either 1.0 or 2.0, so there's never been a problem using SMB between a Mac and a Windows OS. The old Samba that Apple used in 10.6 and lower supported SMB 1.0. The new SMB-implemnation that Apple is making only does SMB 2.0. XBMC, using Samba libraries, can only do 1.0 (or at least is not fully within spec to 2.0).

Apple provides SMB support so Macs can share files with Windows. In 10.6 (using SMB 1.0) or 10.7 (using SMB 2.0) this will always work (Windows uses both). To the end user using SMB for Windows-Mac sharing, nothing has changed. To the majority of the users nothing is broken.

XBMC devs have commented on the SMB/Samba client within XBMC. It uses a standard Samba library and isn't anything really custom to XBMC. Work getting SMB 2.0 to work with Samba is being done, and when the Samba people are finished then XBMC will gain those abilities. Just remember that Samba is a different project with different people working on it. There's not much XBMC devs can do unless they want to build something from scratch, and that would take longer.

Quote:If you're running XBMC on a Mac, it should use it's buillt-in Samba client to access other machines. So in theory there shouldn't be a problem going that way, but apparently some are having those problems anyway.
Regarding this specifically: No. If you are sharing from a Mac 10.7 machine to another Mac using SMB you can get it to work, but you can't use SMB within XBMC. What you do is you mount the SMB share in Mac OS X in the finder so it looks like a local disk. Then in XBMC you say "look at this local disk". The SMB/Samba client within XBMC won't auto detect the OS's client. If you select SMB from within XBMC it will always use XBMC's client.
If I understand correctly what's written in this post, XBMC uses libsmclient (version 3.5.6 by looking at git repository), which is supporting SMB1 only. So when the library of the last Samba release (3.6.0) will be used, SMB2 should normally be supported.

EDIT : Depending of the date of this presentation, you might be right about libsmbclient current SMB2 support

Ned Scott Wrote:SMB is only made by Microsoft, and they don't share all the details on it. Anyone wanting to make SMB work on a non Microsoft product has to hack it in. That's what Samba or Apple's solution is.
I disagree : Microsoft made huge effort recently and SMB is becoming well documented. See this article : http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/sa...-done/6810
Any further info on the state of this? I tried for a while the dead end of using the new AFP support (in the nightlies) but discovered it won't work because my single share point contains symlinks to other volumes. To reorganize would take many, many hours. So I'm back hoping to get SMB to work. This is the last major thing stopping me from upgrading to Lion (on my main Mac [now 10.6.8], which is serving the files to my laptop [also still on 10.6.8] running XBMC).
ctawn Wrote:Any further info on the state of this? I tried for a while the dead end of using the new AFP support (in the nightlies) but discovered it won't work because my single share point contains symlinks to other volumes. To reorganize would take many, many hours. So I'm back hoping to get SMB to work. This is the last major thing stopping me from upgrading to Lion (on my main Mac [now 10.6.8], which is serving the files to my laptop [also still on 10.6.8] running XBMC).

symlinks where fixed in afpclient

serving smb shares from Lion is out of our hands. The only fix I know is to install your own samba.
davilla Wrote:symlinks where fixed in afpclient

serving smb shares from Lion is out of our hands. The only fix I know is to install your own samba.

not quiet sure with intervolume symlinks davilla ... not supported by me yet - have to think about it first Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade to Lion0