SMB broke, NFS won't work - Playback solved my Lion problems!
Seeing as SMB is now broke on Lion, and NFS is nothing but a PITA for many people (and is completely refusing to play ball on my iMac now), I went looking for alternatives and found a 3rd party app called Playback that streams to XBOX 360s, PS3s... and also XBMC!

Sadly it doesn't seem to pay any attention to posters, fan art and .nfo files etc that you may have accumulated with SickBeard or whatever, I have no idea if/how it handles subtitles etc, and I haven't worked out how to make XBMC's default Movies and TV menu options recognise my media served by it, but the folders and their contents are all listed in the Videos menu no problem at all. I got it up and running in minutes. No messing about in Terminal; just tell Playback where your media folders are then set up a new source in XBMC and look for them under the UPnP browse menu.

Available from Yazsoft. It's £10, or you can get a discount by tweeting about it, apparently.

I'd like NFS to work because I have all the metadata downloaded and would like to make use of it, but as I've really had nothing but trouble trying to get it running I decided that for a quiet life I was more than happy to defer to Playback until the day comes when there is an SMB fix or someone can help me with my NFS woes. Ultimately, all I want to do is watch my TV and movies through my ATV2 and Playback lets me do that, for now.
I'm also setup with "Playback". It plays anything I throw at it. If the deal breaker for you is scraping then use something else.
But why would you want still use XBMC running on a PC or Mac? Might as well buy a cheap media player (50 euros or less).
antoniong Wrote:But why would you want still use XBMC running on a PC or Mac? Might as well buy a cheap media player (50 euros or less).

Sorry but in the context of this thread, your question makes no sense. We are running XBMC on our ATV2 and using our macs to stream our movies via Playback.
Xbmc when only using uPnP/Playback is way too complex for the very simple task.

if you use ATV then you have done a JB and that gives access to Mediaplayer which has a Front Row feeling and also has miniatures and movie information displayed.

Playback only view is comparable to a Explorer/Finder. Also a big minus is that Playback must run on a Mac and cannot be run from a Nas.
You can also use Serviio as UnPn server. Free Download

Work fine on Mac & Windows OS

Once again not folder or NFO info
Hello

Can playback play iso files? i cant find these on m XBMC system? or are there any alternatives which can play iso?
How about Parallels or Virtual Box - setup XP in one of these and share your media like normal again?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB broke, NFS won't work - Playback solved my Lion problems!0