• 4(current)
[NEW] iOS 4.3 Build 8F455 For ATV2 - THIS IS WHY IT'S CRASHING
Everything is working XBMC-related. RemoteHD Plugin doesn't work and Overflow is known not to be working.

The only thing I noticed about installing XBMC:

When updating a nightly build the remove script hangs when trying to "rm -rf /Applications/XBMC.frappliance"

Even apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 hangs...

So I went there and tried to do that manually - with the same effect. What worked though was a "rm -r" instead of "rm -rf".
In the first run all files were deleted and after the second runs the folders vanished, as well.

Long story short: when you try to update your XBMC via dpkg or apt-get delete the folder manually before updating, then everything will work!

CU,
EmKay
emkay Wrote:Everything is working XBMC-related. RemoteHD Plugin doesn't work and Overflow is known not to be working.

The only thing I noticed about installing XBMC:

When updating a nightly build the remove script hangs when trying to "rm -rf /Applications/XBMC.frappliance"

Even apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 hangs...

So I went there and tried to do that manually - with the same effect. What worked though was a "rm -r" instead of "rm -rf".
In the first run all files were deleted and after the second runs the folders vanished, as well.

Long story short: when you try to update your XBMC via dpkg or apt-get delete the folder manually before updating, then everything will work!

CU,
EmKay

Hi Emkay

Thanks so much for your post...

Are you on Pc or Mac?...if Mac....are you on Lion 10.7.1?

Have you tried an m4v file with xmbc on Lion 10.7.1?

Thanks in advance!

vintageb3
emkay Wrote:Everything is working XBMC-related. RemoteHD Plugin doesn't work and Overflow is known not to be working.

@emkay - I'm thinking about doing the update myself but I wanted to know what front row looks like after you install XBMC... I hear that Seas0npass no longer has a menu item and I was curious if XBMC does after install? That is to say, when you boot the ATV2 and front row comes up, is there still going to be an option to run XBMC (assuming that I have already jailborken and installed XBMC via SSH?)
I picked up an AppleTV2 last week to replace my (very) old Xbox.

Due to not paying attention, I accidentally updated it to 4.3. Luckily, Seas0npass 4.3 update was released earlier today and it worked without issue.

I then installed XBMC using this guide which I believe installs the 'stable main' release.

I'm currently adding back all my networking shares and testing out various 720p MKV's to see if there are any issues, but I have yet to encounter a single problem (touch wood).

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind, but I have to ask anyway, is there any good reason to install the nightly build that seems to be very popular? Is there some debilitating bug that I'm about to encounter? Or should I just stick with Stable?

Thanks.
Ozymandyaz Wrote:@emkay - I'm thinking about doing the update myself but I wanted to know what front row looks like after you install XBMC... I hear that Seas0npass no longer has a menu item and I was curious if XBMC does after install? That is to say, when you boot the ATV2 and front row comes up, is there still going to be an option to run XBMC (assuming that I have already jailborken and installed XBMC via SSH?)
I have never 'jailbroke' an AppleTV before today, so I am new and have no point of reference, BUT when I used the latest Seas0npass on my AppleTV2 today (4.3) there was no Seas0npass menu.

In fact, I didn't even think the jailbreak was successful until I SSH'd into the ATV and was able to get root access.

Now with XBMC installed, there is simply a menu item on Frontrow for it. No mention of Seas0npass at all.

Hope that helps.
FNi31 Wrote:I picked up an AppleTV2 last week to replace my (very) old Xbox.

Due to not paying attention, I accidentally updated it to 4.3. Luckily, Seas0npass 4.3 update was released earlier today and it worked without issue.

I then installed XBMC using this guide which I believe installs the 'stable main' release.

I'm currently adding back all my networking shares and testing out various 720p MKV's to see if there are any issues, but I have yet to encounter a single problem (touch wood).

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind, but I have to ask anyway, is there any good reason to install the nightly build that seems to be very popular? Is there some debilitating bug that I'm about to encounter? Or should I just stick with Stable?

Thanks.

Hi...great post. Are you Mac or PC?...if Mac...are you on 10.7.1 Lion?

Thanks in advance!

vintageb3
vintageb3 Wrote:Hi...great post. Are you Mac or PC?...if Mac...are you on 10.7.1 Lion?

Thanks in advance!

vintageb3
Both Mac and PC.

I used my PC to install Seas0npass because I just happened to be using my PC at the time.

But when I got to the SSH part, I remembered that I don't have Putty installed so I just opened up my Macbook Air (Lion) and used Terminal.

The whole process was very, very quick. It makes me laugh when I remember all the hassle of installing a mod chip onto my Xbox just so I could use XBMC!
FNi31 Wrote:Both Mac and PC.

I used my PC to install Seas0npass because I just happened to be using my PC at the time.

But when I got to the SSH part, I remembered that I don't have Putty installed so I just opened up my Macbook Air (Lion) and used Terminal.

The whole process was very, very quick. It makes me laugh when I remember all the hassle of installing a mod chip onto my Xbox just so I could use XBMC!

Hi FNi31...

Thanks for getting back to me on that point.

Can I enquire if you were sharing your SMB from the Windows machine or the Lion machine?

I ask, as I hear that there are issues SMB sharing from Lion...although I can't get SL to work either now.

Think I'm chasing my tail....

Thanks!

vintageb3
vintageb3 Wrote:Hi FNi31...

Thanks for getting back to me on that point.

Can I enquire if you were sharing your SMB from the Windows machine of the Lion.

I ask, as I hear that there are issues SMB sharing from Lion...although I can't get SL to work either now.

Think I'm chasing my tail....

Thanks!

vintageb3
Hi,
Unfortunately the SMB shares are on my WindowsXP server so I can't help you. Sad

But good luck!
Has anyone successfully jailbroken their ATV2 with 4.3 and upgraded to a nightly build. I can jailbreak my 4.3 and install the stable release, but any time I try to upgrade to a nightly it gets stuck:

(Reading database ... 3523 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 10.0-9 (using xbmc-20110818-091397a-master-atv2.deb) ...

This also happens when using:
The previous nightly builds

wget http://xbmc.hadm.net/latest_atv2.deb
dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb
rm latest_atv2.deb

Any help/guidance would be appreciated. Everything was fine with 4.2.1.

Thanks
crispytreat Wrote:Has anyone successfully jailbroken their ATV2 with 4.3 and upgraded to a nightly build. I can jailbreak my 4.3 and install the stable release, but any time I try to upgrade to a nightly it gets stuck:

(Reading database ... 3523 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 10.0-9 (using xbmc-20110818-091397a-master-atv2.deb) ...

This also happens when using:
The previous nightly builds

wget http://xbmc.hadm.net/latest_atv2.deb
dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb
rm latest_atv2.deb

Any help/guidance would be appreciated. Everything was fine with 4.2.1.

Thanks

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=867...stcount=46
I can Confirm that clean install of XBMC on 4.3 (8F455) Apple TV 2 firmware works flawless. Just use the latest version of Seas0nPass and follow the install guide in FAQ section. Gratz!

S@
Dolledd Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=867...stcount=46

This info helped and I was able to install the latest nightly.

Thanks
hpnas Wrote:I was about to ask a similar question. Jailbreaking my 4.2.1 ATV2 for the first time so I can put XBMC on it but when I try to run Seas0npass it downloads the 4.3 restore ipsw. I cancelled out b/c I don't want my ATV2 to update to 4.3 and then not be compatible with XBMC. Any idea how I can gte Seas0npass to download the 4.2.1 jailbreak and then I can install XBMC and update to 4.3 at a later date when XBMC is 4.3 compatible?

It's mentioned in the Jailbreak FAQ under the "How do I jailbreak an older version?" question.

Basically, you Option-click (or right-click in Windows) the "Create IPSW" button in Seas0npass and it'll let you chose the firmware file you want to use. You'll have to download it first though... iClarified is as good a spot as any to get the files.
skullmonkey Wrote:I can Confirm that clean install of XBMC on 4.3 (8F455) Apple TV 2 firmware works flawless. Just use the latest version of Seas0nPass and follow the install guide in FAQ section. Gratz!

S@

Are you on a Windows or Mac box?...if Mac....are your on Lion?

Thanks in advance!

vintageb3
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[NEW] iOS 4.3 Build 8F455 For ATV2 - THIS IS WHY IT'S CRASHING0