[MAC] Crystal HD and Blu-ray - dropped frames
Hiya.

I have an iMac from 2006 with a crystal hd bcm970012 card inside.

720p and 1080p encodes usually work just fine but when playing a blu-ray I always drop frames, seemingly at random.

It doesn't matter if I play it directly from the disc itself, remux it to m2ts or remux it to mkv.

Does anyone know if this is a problem with the crystalhd driver or xbmc itself?

Does blu-ray work better in Linux and/or Windows?

I have tried official Dharma, SVN Dharma.. same problem.

crystal hd driver: r174 (tried the rest as well)

If there currently is no fix for this problem, I would like to know if there will be any new updates of the OSX driver, ever? Otherwise I might as well start looking for other ways to play Blu-ray.

Thanks

log: pastebin

log2: pastebin 9min played, ~380 frames dropped

This error seems to occur real often:

DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity - was:519728.110000, should be:10000.000000, error:-509728.110000

However, when I was watching the movie in log2 I wrote down the time when some of the frames were dropped.
17:21, 17:22 for example.... none of them show up in the log as errors?

can I please get a reply so I at least know that I'm not the only one seeing this? halp me pleaze

peace
I post my own reply. Shocked

Tried Windows 7 via Bootcamp.
Same problem there with XBMC: dropping frames.

No problem when using Windows Media Player.

Any idea testing Linux?
local file or network for your bluray ? if network, wired or wireless ?
davilla Wrote:local file or network for your bluray ? if network, wired or wireless ?

Local files i guess.
For remuxed mkv or m2ts: external hdd connected with firewire or usb.
For the disc itself: external blu-ray reader connected with usb.

Really appreciate your work davilla
how are you detecting 'dropped' frames ? Do you notice them in playback ?
davilla Wrote:how are you detecting 'dropped' frames ? Do you notice them in playback ?

Yes I notice them in playback. It's like it buffers randomly to catch up or something. Sound is ok but the video stutters for a second or two. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with high bitrate parts.

I press 'O' and see how many frames are being dropped on the OSD. Cpu use just keep on rolling a ok. The fps drops though.

I have tried all the options to sync the playback to display, turned off vertical blanc sync, tried all the available hz on my plasma. It doesn't just judder, it drops the video.
bump it up!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Crystal HD and Blu-ray - dropped frames0