Buffering, file limit and MKVs
1. Is there anyway to alter the buffering size on an Apple TV 2 (this query links to my third request)?

2. I'm running out of space on my apple tv, due to a large music database, any suggestions.

3. I know that other people are playing MKV's successfully over a network. My Apple Tv 2 is hard wired via a direct connection to the router. I have two freecom NAS network drives (which run mkvs fine on my Acer Rev 3600). While mp4s and other compressed files play fine the apple can't handle my mkv's. The audio and video stutters. I've used Makemkv to encode the files.

Other than that loving XBMC on apple tv!

Thanks in advance
I will buy you a virtual beer if you help me sort out this remote...
Google mediainfo and let it run over your mkvs and post the result here. So we get an idea what media you try to play - and maybe we get hints way it stutters on the atv2.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630452/info.csv

I think it's my network drive rather than apple tv 2... which is why I suggested altering the buffer - not sure though.

Memphiz Wrote:Google mediainfo and let it run over your mkvs and post the result here. So we get an idea what media you try to play - and maybe we get hints way it stutters on the atv2.
For #2, you can have a remote database stored on a different computer on your network.

#3, what are you using to access your NAS? SMB? If so, try to use NFS for better results.
Rob Xbox User Wrote:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630452/info.csv

I think it's my network drive rather than apple tv 2... which is why I suggested altering the buffer - not sure though.

cant read that on my ipad ... could you reexport the media info as plain text instead of csv?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Here's the media info as a txt only file : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630452/info.txt

NFS - Isn't that for MAC only - if not - how do i set it up?

Thank you so much for offering your help.

Memphiz Wrote:cant read that on my ipad ... could you reexport the media info as plain text instead of csv?
Ignore - how to do NFS - just found it in your sig!

Rob Xbox User Wrote:Here's the media info as a txt only file : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630452/info.txt

NFS - Isn't that for MAC only - if not - how do i set it up?

Thank you so much for offering your help.
Ahh - looks very complicated. I've been using XBMC since the XBOX days - however this seems like I need some basic programming knowledge?

Rob Xbox User Wrote:Ignore - how to do NFS - just found it in your sig!
Your mkv have mpeg2 codec only. This has to be processed via the atv2 cpu - should go well because you only use SD resolution. But if you already use makemkv - then you should try to make it output H.264 codec inside the mkv. This is hardware accelerated on the atv2 and should not stutter.

Don't know anything about makemkv though.

For NFS ... if you think you need programming knowledge - then it doesn't seem the right thing for you. Smile
NFS setup doesn't really require programming knowledge....it's more a question of learning some basic working with UNIX commands. You may need to grab some special free utilities to do this stuff if you're working off a PC rather than a Mac, I'm not sure. You'd need some way to connect to your NAS via SSH (I believe there's something like "OpenSSH" for Windows users; or perhaps it can even be done from a CMD window?)

Here's how I set up NFS on my Synology NAS:

1. I went into my NAS's administrator interface the normal way, and enabled NFS in its control panel. I then went to my Shared Folders section in the control panel, and made sure they each were set to allow "*" as incoming connections (in the NFS Permissions tab). You'll likely have something similar to this on your NAS, I assume.

2. I then opened a Terminal window on my Mac laptop, and ssh'ed into the NAS as root ("ssh [email protected]").

3. I typed "cat /etc/exports" to see what parameters were set by the NAS for my NFS shares. In my case, it looked something like this:

Code:
/volume3/photos    *(rw,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume3/tvshows *(rw,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume3/movies    *(rw,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

Looked okay to me. So I tried connecting to the NAS from XBMC (set up a source to connect to the NFS filesystem as its media folder), and it failed. I looked at the xbmc.log, and it had an error to the effect of "permission denied." So I typed "vi /etc/exports", which opens up the exports file in the UNIX vi text editor. This is where the basic knowledge of UNIX comes in; you can just google "vi basic commands" and you'll get all you need to know to move around vi, which is incredibly archaic as a text editor.

(Quick digression to list some simple info about vi:

Basically, once you're in vi, you have two modes: an insert mode where you can type text, and a command mode where you type commands preceded by a colon (":"). You switch between the modes with the ESC key. For instance, once you type some text on a line, you can then press ESC to go to command mode, and type ":wq" to "write-quit"--i.e., save the file and quit. You need to enter commands to do things like delete a word or a character, delete a line, insert a new line, and so on; you can't do those things from the "insert text" mode, like you would with a normal word processor.)

Once into the exports file, I added "insecure" to the list of parameters for each share. That made it look like this (I bolded it to point it out; you don't have to put it in any particular spot in the list order):

Code:
/volume3/photos    *(rw,async,no_wdelay,[b]insecure[/b],no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume3/tvshows *(rw,async,no_wdelay,[b]insecure[/b],no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume3/movies    *(rw,async,no_wdelay,[b]insecure[/b],no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

Saved the file, rebooted my NAS (important step!!!), tried again, and it worked Smile
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
Really helpful and kind of you to do this!

Thanks

Rob

canadave Wrote:NFS setup doesn't really require programming knowledge....it's more a question of learning some basic working with UNIX commands. You may need to grab some special free utilities to do this stuff if you're working off a PC rather than a Mac, I'm not sure. You'd need some way to connect to your NAS via SSH (I believe there's something like "OpenSSH" for Windows users; or perhaps it can even be done from a CMD window?)

Here's how I set up NFS on my Synology NAS:

1. I went into my NAS's administrator interface the normal way, and enabled NFS in its control panel. I then went to my Shared Folders section in the control panel, and made sure they each were set to allow "*" as incoming connections (in the NFS Permissions tab). You'll likely have something similar to this on your NAS, I assume.

2. I then opened a Terminal window on my Mac laptop, and ssh'ed into the NAS as root ("ssh [email protected]").

3. I typed "cat /etc/exports" to see what parameters were set by the NAS for my NFS shares. In my case, it looked something like this:

Code:
/volume3/photos    *(rw,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume3/tvshows *(rw,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume3/movies    *(rw,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

Looked okay to me. So I tried connecting to the NAS from XBMC (set up a source to connect to the NFS filesystem as its media folder), and it failed. I looked at the xbmc.log, and it had an error to the effect of "permission denied." So I typed "vi /etc/exports", which opens up the exports file in the UNIX vi text editor. This is where the basic knowledge of UNIX comes in; you can just google "vi basic commands" and you'll get all you need to know to move around vi, which is incredibly archaic as a text editor.

(Quick digression to list some simple info about vi:

Basically, once you're in vi, you have two modes: an insert mode where you can type text, and a command mode where you type commands at a ":" prompt. You switch between the modes with the ESC key. For instance, once you type some text on a line, you can then press ESC to go to command mode, and type "wq" at the : prompt to "write-quit"--i.e., save the file and quit. You need to enter commands to do things like delete a word or a character, delete a line, insert a new line, and so on; you can't do those things from the "insert text" mode, like you would with a normal word processor.)

Once into the exports file, I added "insecure" to the list of parameters for each share. That made it look like this (I bolded it to point it out; you don't have to put it in any particular spot in the list order):

Code:
/volume3/photos    *(rw,async,no_wdelay,[b]insecure[/b],no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume3/tvshows *(rw,async,no_wdelay,[b]insecure[/b],no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume3/movies    *(rw,async,no_wdelay,[b]insecure[/b],no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

Saved the file, rebooted my NAS (important step!!!), tried again, and it worked Smile
Rob Xbox User Wrote:Really helpful and kind of you to do this!

Thanks

Rob

No worries, I hope you and others are able to connect successfully via NFS with these instructions; post back and let us all know how it went. Perhaps if there's enough interest, we could get an "NFS NAS configuration how-to" section into the NFS part of the wiki, with some detailed how-tos on various NAS devices. It's quite simple once you get the hang of it and see what's going on, but it's a little dauntingly complicated at first.

Note by the way that I just changed a wee bit in my instructions that I just realized was slightly incorrect. There is no ":" prompt after hitting the ESC key in vi; the colon is something you have to type along with the command (i.e. to write-quit you would type :wq).
canadave Wrote:Perhaps if there's enough interest, we could get an "NFS NAS configuration how-to" section into the NFS part of the wiki, with some detailed how-tos on various NAS devices.

Concur. I don't think anyone is being stopped from going hard in the wiki though. I'd be happy to contribute some NFS how-too guides. All of my problems stopped when I went from SMB to NFS.
stubbed Wrote:Concur. I don't think anyone is being stopped from going hard in the wiki though. I'd be happy to contribute some NFS how-too guides. All of my problems stopped when I went from SMB to NFS.

Thanks.

I agree that the wiki is definitely "the first stop" people should make in trying to configure this stuff; but I think the wiki is perhaps a bit weighted toward the technical side of things rather than outlining simple instructions. For instance, there's much talk about UID's and so on, which really shouldn't matter for most standard setups.

I read the wiki very carefully, and although it was very helpful in some places, it was also quite confusing to me. That probably says more about my lack of reading comprehension than the wiki's writing, but nevertheless I think it would benefit from some step-by-steps that are specific to several popular NAS boxes. If someone had posted this type of Synology guide, it would've taken me a few minutes to set up rather than several days of trial and error Rofl
i would appreciate any help with easy howtos in the wiki ... last geeky years seem to have killed my sense of userfriendly descriptions Wink. I just didn't want to forget the technical background for getting nfs to work with xbmc - i think that is why the nfs wiki is what it is now ... technical Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering, file limit and MKVs0