Buffering, file limit and MKVs
Memphiz Wrote:i would appreciate any help with easy howtos in the wiki ... last geeky years seem to have killed my sense of userfriendly descriptions Wink. I just didn't want to forget the technical background for getting nfs to work with xbmc - i think that is why the nfs wiki is what it is now ... technical Wink

Memphiz, well said. I used to be a highly geeky technical writer in a "past life", but I'm now a professional editor; and I can tell you that the one big thing I've learned is that is the sign of a great writer is the ability to say "I would appreciate help with my writing" Nod So many writers just get defensive about their writing, which does no one any good. In the end, the goal is to communicate well to readers...the goal isn't supposed to be about proving anything to anybody.

And you're right--the technical end of it is definitely important as well. For instance, if someone has a less standard setup at home, the technical descriptions of how things work are definitely needed.

For most "average" people though, some simple how-to's would probably suffice.

Tell you what--is the wiki able to be edited by people like me? Or would I need special permission? Or would it be easier to send you (or someone else in a position of "wiki authority") material and let you folks post it? Because I'm thinking, why don't we edit that NFS page and leave it exactly as-is, except at the beginning we could have in-page links to a couple of sections at the bottom called "How-To's: Setting Up NFS On Various Common NAS's" and "Troubleshooting: Common Things To Look For When Things Go Wrong With NFS", or something like that. I would be happy to write up some things on that score if it would be any help. It looks like user "stubbed" was also volunteering to contribute material. I would also be happy to edit whatever winds up being posted (it's what I do in real life).
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
Keith? *looks to keith*
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
canadave Wrote:No worries, I hope you and others are able to connect successfully via NFS with these instructions; post back and let us all know how it went. Perhaps if there's enough interest, we could get an "NFS NAS configuration how-to" section into the NFS part of the wiki, with some detailed how-tos on various NAS devices. It's quite simple once you get the hang of it and see what's going on, but it's a little dauntingly complicated at first.

Note by the way that I just changed a wee bit in my instructions that I just realized was slightly incorrect. There is no ":" prompt after hitting the ESC key in vi; the colon is something you have to type along with the command (i.e. to write-quit you would type :wq).

Just want to report that I have got my synology NAS working with the ATV2 as per your instructions, thank you very much!
Burtz Wrote:Just want to report that I have got my synology NAS working with the ATV2 as per your instructions, thank you very much!

Excellent, glad to hear the instructions were helpful!

I think 90% of the issues people experience with connecting to the Synology NAS (and probably other NAS's as well) are because there is no "insecure" flag in /etc/exports. From what I've read, most consumer NAS devices have their NFS shares set as "secure" by default. This is what causes a huge number of permissions problems, as far as I can tell.
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering, file limit and MKVs0