XBMC iPad2 1080p Hi-profile, HighBitrate, MKV, DTS 5.1 / 6CH = no problem?
Question 
Considering buying an iPad2. Have been looking at various apps which stream video to the ipad from your home network. Most of them have a PC-side server which transcodes the video to an ipad-friendly format. (as ipad dosen't natively do MKV, as we all know).

Most of these apps need a fairly formiddable PC to do the transcoding, but I came across a video on YouTube today of a guy demo'ing XBMC on iPad2, playing a 16GB MKV of Transformers remotely from his PC, and it looked flawless.

Was I dreaming? Or is this actually possible? Of all the apps I've researched (other than xbmc), they all have quite a lot of caveats and niggles/dependencies, but this video just completely sold it to me. He mentioned hardware-decoding being present (presumably this means using both cores of the iPad A5 cpu). --does it also involve the GPU at all?

Basically I'm just wanting to check this is legit, because it would take a hell of a lot of headaches out of playing my collection on an iPad.

If it's true, I'm incredibly impressed how far along xbmc for iOS has come.

Here's the video (the guy has a Core2Duo PC):
http://youtu.be/LJ4wgq8BEBA

All of my HD content is sat on my Atom-based ASRock330 PC. So it's not a powerful machine at all. But from the video above (where no transcoding is happening), he has a Core2Duo PC. How much would it effect my chances of streaming 1080p,HiProf,HiBitrate,MultiChannel MKV videos successfully to the iPad?

Greatful for anyone who can help/advise. Smile
yep, totally possible.
PantsOnFire Wrote:Considering buying an iPad2. Have been looking at various apps which stream video to the ipad from your home network. Most of them have a PC-side server which transcodes the video to an ipad-friendly format. (as ipad dosen't natively do MKV, as we all know).

Most of these apps need a fairly formiddable PC to do the transcoding, but I came across a video on YouTube today of a guy demo'ing XBMC on iPad2, playing a 16GB MKV of Transformers remotely from his PC, and it looked flawless.

Was I dreaming? Or is this actually possible? Of all the apps I've researched (other than xbmc), they all have quite a lot of caveats and niggles/dependencies, but this video just completely sold it to me. He mentioned hardware-decoding being present (presumably this means using both cores of the iPad A5 cpu). --does it also involve the GPU at all?

Basically I'm just wanting to check this is legit, because it would take a hell of a lot of headaches out of playing my collection on an iPad.

If it's true, I'm incredibly impressed how far along xbmc for iOS has come.

Here's the video (the guy has a Core2Duo PC):
http://youtu.be/LJ4wgq8BEBA

All of my HD content is sat on my Atom-based ASRock330 PC. So it's not a powerful machine at all. But from the video above (where no transcoding is happening), he has a Core2Duo PC. How much would it effect my chances of streaming 1080p,HiProf,HiBitrate,MultiChannel MKV videos successfully to the iPad?

Greatful for anyone who can help/advise. Smile

I stream 1080p h264 mkvs from an Atom box running linux and sharing via smb no problems (to my atv2)
While I'm not sure as to if it can do high-profile h264, it certainly can do 1080P out of an MKV.
Wait to you see how kick ass XBMC is on an iPad with Jezz's new touch skin:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=105142
I'm really pleased it can do this. :-)
Vincent Law, just for your info, the clip the guy plays in the youtube video is 4.1 profile. So it seems that it can do that. Who knows if it can do 5.1 profile videos? I've seen a few mkv files at this level but I think it's mainly only necessary for 2k resolution material.

Ned, thanks for the link, JezzX's skin looks brilliant. It'll be the first port of call! Question: does it support video and music libraries in the same way xbmc usually does? Or is xbmc iOS in more of a file browser type state so far? (trying to look for examples,there's only a couple of ipad xbmc videos on youtube).
iOS version is based on the same code as desktop version. So its full blown with library and all such things...

AFAIR High Profile 4.1 is the max for the atv's hardware decoder ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC iPad2 1080p Hi-profile, HighBitrate, MKV, DTS 5.1 / 6CH = no problem?0