August 2011 - ION or e-350
I want to build an XBMC solutions based on UBUNTU using a Zotac ZBOX systems. I have been scouring the forums for a while and any information about driver support to enable the GPU accelerated decoding is from 2010.

Can people chime in with recommendations?

As of today August 15, 2011 will either the Ion or E-350 provide linux drivers to use the hardware acceleration for High-Def decoding? Which one to buy
ion yes, e350 yes. ion does it with the least hassle.

EDIT: i've been informed that the vaapi backend for 350 has some issues currently
i would go with ION. VDPAU seems more established in xbmc, and the general feeling i get from reading the forums is "if you want to use linux, get nvidia"
i would go with ION. The general feeling i get from reading the forums is "if you want to use linux, get nvidia".

Lots of people use ION (myself included) and get really good results.
+1 ion
Current situation:
Pro's ION: Better XBMC support.
Pro's AMD: better price, performance & features.

This is for Linux. For Windows, AMD is the clear winner.
did anyone ask about windows?
So?
+1 for ION.
For linux ION and nvidia is the thing to get.
My ION systems plays everything without any problems
Nvidia. No contest.
ION... save yourself some headache. Actually, I think over the last 2 or 3 years I've heard many times "Get AMD because opensource, it will be much better, things will improve" and so on, but.. they're still not there yet.
+1 for ION.

Additional thoughts:

- use Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu, the XFCE environment is much lighter on resources than GNOME or Unity - light enough that it does not cause any performance issues, even if XFCE is running in the background while XBMC is playing back HD video.

- consider a ZBox with dedicated graphics memory (like the ID-41), if you are concerned about performance.

I am running that setup (Xubuntu on ZBox ID-41) without problems.
The biggest con against ION is the support of DTS-MA Dolby TrueHD in the upcoming Eden release.

It's still not clear if it will work on every ION machines, or if it will work at all. According to one report it works on an ION2.

Pretty hazy HD-sound future for ION/ION2.

Chris
unRAID Server, Pioneer VSX-LX52, Panasonic 65VT30, Marusys VU+ Duo, Zotac AD10
ix400 Wrote:The biggest con against ION is the support of DTS-MA Dolby TrueHD in the upcoming Eden release.

It's still not clear if it will work on every ION machines, or if it will work at all. According to one report it works on an ION2.

Pretty hazy HD-sound future for ION/ION2.

Chris

just to chime in, xbmc decodes TrueHD so no need for bitstreaming it. I know blurays are mostly dts-hd now, but just thought i'd mention it for the OP.
neil.j1983 Wrote:just to chime in, xbmc decodes TrueHD so no need for bitstreaming it. I know blurays are mostly dts-hd now, but just thought i'd mention it for the OP.

... does this also work in 10.1 or is it a Eden only feature?

Chris
unRAID Server, Pioneer VSX-LX52, Panasonic 65VT30, Marusys VU+ Duo, Zotac AD10

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
August 2011 - ION or e-3500