Kids Section
With the upcoming netflix interface for kids, I got to thinking.

What if we could have a home menu item that was for Kids and when entered was tailored for kids.

We could use characters much like clearart or logos for tv shows.

The menu item would be easy as it could just be for the genre "children" but what about the characters. Does anyone else in the community see this as soemthing we could do?

To learn more, click here.
kids skin? sounds awesome!
boognish43 Wrote:kids skin? sounds awesome!

Not quite. I mean an actual section. Movies, TV Shows, Music, Kids.

Each skin would support the use of characters through the kids section.

We just need the support of the community to create all the characters and a site to hold them. Maybe fanart.tv.
igotdvds Wrote:We just need the support of the community to create all the characters and a site to hold them. Maybe fanart.tv.

I'd be happy to add a section to fanart.tv if people want to do this.

Before doing that though, someone needs to come up with some guidelines/standards.

Like what size images at the very least?

How would you like it to work? Just a new section? In which case someone could technically create an image for any show (childrens or not). Or would we need to set something up so that a show is marked as childrens and only those are allowed to have images uploaded?
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
Quote:Not quite. I mean an actual section. Movies, TV Shows, Music, Kids.

So everything for kids would be lumped in the Kids Section (i.e. Kids Music, Kids TV Shows, Kids Movies)? Or am I missing something.

I like the idea, as I have a 2 year old, and we probably have more kids music than adult music in XBMC. It would be nice to have it seperated out somehow. But we also have movies and tv shows that are just for her.

What I currently have done is create a separate profile for the kids, with only the kids sources. This works pretty well, but requires more work on my part, as I have to have different sources for different things. Source for G rated movies, PG Movies, etc. Something easier would be appreciated, but even just a kids themed skin would be pretty cool in my opinion.
Kode Wrote:I'd be happy to add a section to fanart.tv if people want to do this.

Before doing that though, someone needs to come up with some guidelines/standards.

Like what size images at the very least?

How would you like it to work? Just a new section? In which case someone could technically create an image for any show (childrens or not). Or would we need to set something up so that a show is marked as childrens and only those are allowed to have images uploaded?

Well, technically to make it easier, we could allow anything. Basically a CharacterArt, no show titles, just the character.

For dimensions. How about 250x400 bottom-aligned?

Skins could incorporate the CharacterArt image on views that kids can use. That way they can recognize the show based on the character.

Example:

Sounds like the start of a plan, if you get a chance tomorrow, log in to fanart.tv and we can discuss it.
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
igotdvds Wrote:For dimensions. How about 250x400 bottom-aligned?

Might I suggest making the dimensions squared. Something along the lines of 512x512. This would allow for greater flexibility skin-wise and allow for images that are wider than taller - a problem I've seen occur when working with TV logos where you are left with a very small logo in relation to other logos.

To expand this, my suggested guidelines would be:

- 512x512 image size
- 10px gutter
- center-aligned with the image being at least the full width or height (512px minus gutter) depending on orientation of the original source image
- 2px drop shadow with a 90 degree angle from the top (this would have to discussed further as there are inherit benefits to having drop shadow vs not having one)
Sranshaft Wrote:Might I suggest making the dimensions squared. Something along the lines of 512x512. This would allow for greater flexibility skin-wise and allow for images that are wider than taller - a problem I've seen occur when working with TV logos where you are left with a very small logo in relation to other logos.

To expand this, my suggested guidelines would be:

- 512x512 image size
- 10px gutter
- center-aligned with the image being at least the full width or height (512px minus gutter) depending on orientation of the original source image
- 2px drop shadow with a 90 degree angle from the top (this would have to discussed further as there are inherit benefits to having drop shadow vs not having one)

I like it BUT I dont want to limit us with image sizes. Some shows wont have high quality images available.

We can go square but lets do 400x400.

Thoughts?
400x400 is fine. I was hoping to have a higher size for more flexibility in skins though.
just a fyi 256x256 and 512x512 load better as a texture in GPU mem
Jezz_X Wrote:just a fyi 256x256 and 512x512 load better as a texture in GPU mem

Good to know. I guess 512 can work.

Here is an example at 512x512.

Jezz_X Wrote:just a fyi 256x256 and 512x512 load better as a texture in GPU mem

That's what I thought.

@Igotdvds: looks good mate. I'd caution to use the 10px gutter / center-aligned as I'd suggested before. This not only makes the image sit better on the canvas but allows for a drop shadow, if desired, with a uniform look and allows for greater flexibility when it comes to skinning.

For example: A skinner wants to present these on tiles. It'll look better in that scenario not to have the image sitting on the edge of the tile.
Sranshaft Wrote:Might I suggest making the dimensions squared. Something along the lines of 512x512. This would allow for greater flexibility skin-wise and allow for images that are wider than taller - a problem I've seen occur when working with TV logos where you are left with a very small logo in relation to other logos.

To be fair, having images square probably wouldn't help with tv logos as the majority of the time they are smaller when you try to fit a lot of words horizontally anyway.

Sranshaft Wrote:To expand this, my suggested guidelines would be:

- 512x512 image size
- 10px gutter

Nice clear instructions, like it.
Here's a few I whipped up using the guidelines I suggested earlier in the thread. These are without a drop shadow but the 10px gutter can easily accommodate a 90 degree, 2px drop shadow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kids Section0