Pc resolution on tv
I have a 46" panasonic vierra HDTV 720p. My htpc is plugged in via hdmi and my problem is no matter what resolution I do it's either too big and the screen is cut off or it's too small and there is a black border all around..

Any special ways you guys sync up your htpcs with the HDTV so it fits just right without being too big or a black border all around..
toymachine2009 Wrote:Any special ways you guys sync up your htpcs with the HDTV so it fits just right without being too big or a black border all around..

Must be your TV. Set the TV's scalemode to something else.. My Sony HX900 shows fullscreen beatifully 1920x1080, hdmi from Zotac ID40 Hw.

or adjust xbmc's screen position under settings...
Its not just xbmc it's windows as well..
If you have an Nvidia vid card, you can resize your desktop, and it should fix your problem
isamu.dragon Wrote:If you have an Nvidia vid card, you can resize your desktop, and it should fix your problem

I do have nvidia card with latest drivers. How do igo about doing that. I been through all the settings I can find..
Nvidia control panel, Display, adjust desktop size and position, size, enable desktop resizing

Then click resize.

Had to do this on mine
Thank you so much I got it Smile
isamu.dragon Wrote:Nvidia control panel, Display, adjust desktop size and position, size, enable desktop resizing

Then click resize.

Had to do this on mine

I had to do this too. Do you then leave the xbmc resolution at 1920x1080 and use the calabration to adjust or set a lesser resolution in xbmc?
Try using the standard 720p resolution i.e. 1280 x 720. You'll probably find the edges of the display are cut off. This because the TV has overscan enabled. In the TV menus somewhere there may be an option to disable overscan. If you can't find it post the TV model here and I'll have a scan through the manual (assuming I can find it online).

With overscan disabled the TV should behave like a PC monitor and give you a 1:1 pixel mapping. This usually gives the sharpest picture.

JR
You should download your screens manual and it will tell you in there what resolutions and refresh rates it does over its various input types

Your only get 1:1 pixel mapping running at your screens native resolution and this will produce the best image by far maybe not as noticeable during video but everywhere else it will be more obvious especially text

Screens vary greatly more so on older screens as to what they accept over each input type if your lucky your get native resolution over HDMI supporting all the needed refresh rates but I would be surprised on a 720p panny if it didn't need 1920x1080 for 24Hz
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Thanks everyone, one htpc down one more to go. My other htpc has an on board gpu and it's an ATI radeon HD something I forget the numbers anyways now I gotta play with those settings to get that one to fit right.. I will have time after work today for that one..

Now my tv does not have an overscan setting like some of you suggested so I assume you mean the pc does.. Because i did see over scan and under scan in the nvidia control panel when I was playing with that last night.
It probably wouldn't be called overscan on your TV on my screen its dot by dot mode but in any case it should only be available if you use the native resolution

I have another screen which happens to be a panny and it doesn't use overscan when I use the native resolution anything other than using native and it does

I'm not sure what model you have but some of the 46" pannys that were 720p had a native resolution of 1024x768 just as the 42" I have has if that's the case then that's what you need to use to stop overscan and get 1:1 pixel mapping it will be in the manual what input it will do that over mine will only do that over VGA at 60Hz

You would also need to adjust "Pixel Ratio Adjustment" in XBMC to 1.333 if you had to use 1024x768 because its a 4:3 resolution as far as your PC is concerned

The image I get from native 1024x768 over VGA is better than anything I get over HDMI
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
>>X<<' Wrote:It probably wouldn't be called overscan on your TV on my screen its dot by dot mode but in any case it should only be available if you use the native resolution

I have another screen which happens to be a panny and it doesn't use overscan when I use the native resolution anything other than using native and it does

I'm not sure what model you have but some of the 46" pannys that were 720p had a native resolution of 1024x768 just as the 42" I have has if that's the case then that's what you need to use to stop overscan and get 1:1 pixel mapping it will be in the manual what input it will do that over mine will only do that over VGA at 60Hz

You would also need to adjust "Pixel Ratio Adjustment" in XBMC to 1.333 if you had to use 1024x768 because its a 4:3 resolution as far as your PC is concerned

The image I get from native 1024x768 over VGA is better than anything I get over HDMI

You are correct native resolution is 1024x768 I set it to that resolution and picture was way off on my tv. Right now its just set by custom settings right now and everything is working fine. I do have my tv settings on normal so its not zoomed in or anything or stretched.

Anyways that htpc and tv are fine. I just have one more tv and htpc to do which is 1080p and its 47" I believe. I am heading out the door for work but I will play with that one when I get home. This one also has a built in GPU ATI Radeon HD forgot the model number. Hopefully this one can be adjusted as well.
toymachine2009 Wrote:Thanks everyone, one htpc down one more to go. My other htpc has an on board gpu and it's an ATI radeon HD something I forget the numbers anyways now I gotta play with those settings to get that one to fit right.. I will have time after work today for that one..

Now my tv does not have an overscan setting like some of you suggested so I assume you mean the pc does.. Because i did see over scan and under scan in the nvidia control panel when I was playing with that last night.
have you update the latest catalyst from here- Graphics Drivers & Software. you need to adjust the hdtv resolution in the catalyst control center (Output to TV via HDMI port), and it is a cool feature which allow you to manually adjust the screen size in both vertical and horrizontal directions and you can see it exactly how it fits on your screen while you make the adjustment. i used the same procedures on both the 56" and 70" hdtv's, and it fils up the screen nicely on all corners. in catalyst control center, go to video settings and video playback, you can set it to enforce smooth video playback. in xbmc playback settings, set it to allow hardware acceleration (dxva2) and sync playback to display.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:have you update the latest catalyst from here- Graphics Drivers & Software. you need to adjust the hdtv resolution in the catalyst control center (Output to TV via HDMI port), and it is a cool feature which allow you to manually adjust the screen size in both vertical and horrizontal directions and you can see it exactly how it fits on your screen while you make the adjustment. i used the same procedures on both the 56" and 70" hdtv's, and it fils up the screen nicely on all corners. in catalyst control center, go to video settings and video playback, you can set it to enforce smooth video playback. in xbmc playback settings, set it to allow hardware acceleration (dxva2) and sync playback to display.

Sweet Ill give this a try when I get home!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pc resolution on tv0