[ATV2] Wireless HOW IS IT?
I just bought a windows cheap HTPC and its sucked compared to my MBP because the wireless signal is just so poor on the windows machine whilst my MBP has decent signal.

This has brought me to... how is the ATV2's signal? good? bad? any comments on it please?

also how are menus in example confluence when browsing a movie library of 200 films? any videos much much appreciated but comments will do. Smile
Wireless good for me, but then my router is under 1m from the ATV!

I use Quartz skin, v smooth, great media centre
using wireless with N router. works fine, no issues. had some performance issues with smb but that's a known problem. switched to NFS and it's all fine. no delay's. it's about 3meters from my router with 4 walls in between
I'm using wireless N (about 10m away from station, going through a few walls) and SMB shares and I have no problems with 720p content.

The ATV2 menu shows only about 3 signal bars but it's good enough for streaming.
Wireless is something that will work well depending on the environment. So someone that says all works great, doesnt mean it will for you unless your in the same environment as that person..which isnt the case Smile..so short answer is that wireless (as long as its N) shouldnt have a problem in theory.

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
Granted, I'm only streaming standard def content from dvds, but the wireless on my ATV2 seems to be absolutely sufficient . . . no buffering except at the start, otherwise seamless.
for standard def it works well, 720p not so much.
Mine used to constantly buffer 720p content if I watched more than 1 movie, but I think that was due to something in XBMC and not the wireless signal. After upgrading to the most recently nightly 720p streaming is great, and sometimes doesn't even need to buffer enough to show the buffering dialog at all.
maximus96 Wrote:for standard def it works well, 720p not so much.

I stream 720p Perfectly.. I have a dual band Wireless N Router and I connect it at 5ghz and I stream perfectly!
your milage may vary..
but my atv2 to router (about 10 m) plays everything fine - until someone uses microwave then it gets choppy
the available bandwidth itself is ok - mine peaks at 40 mbs throughput (several simultaneous threads) when connected at 65 (since apple presumably does not allow 40mhz channels at 2.4ghz) which would be enough if the protocols didn't slow it down so much. Streaming from local http/ftp server preloads at up to 30 mbs, SMB tops at 15-16 usually. WebDAV gives me twentish.. All that is while using a 150mbs usb dongle as access point.
Have in mind that using a paired bluetooth keyboard reserves several megabits (should be 3 but the impact is bigger)... in my case that's usually the difference between smooth and choppy 720p over SMB..
ATV2 4.3 8F455 Seas0npassed / XBMC 11
Samsung HT-P70 5.1 / Samsung WS-32Z419P

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Wireless HOW IS IT?0