[Linux] Help setting UP NFS share with libnfs and DNS 323
Question 
I use to use nfs-common to mount my NFS shares via fstab so I know that the process works.

Enter libnfs (away with nfs-common and fstab)with XBMC relatively new and apparently working in other platforms like ios and osx, I have yet to make it work in Linux under xbmclive +git xbmc ubuntu lucid based.

At first when I navigated to a share, as soon as I browsed the share there was a immediate crash, this was addressed and I no longer get a crash.

What happens is the following. (already having setup the DNS 323 with NFS shares. (my shitty NAS but was free and had to sell my other server as needed money for health treatment.)

1) Navigate to video/music and add source

2) Browse source to 192.168.1.* (where * is the end IP number for the NAS in this case 8) and see the mnt/HD_b2/TV_SERIES

3) Add that source but in UI only IP is shown

4) Give it a name and set content.

5) Gee asked is would like to refresh all info with path, said yes.

6) Press on source, busy comes up for a slit second and nothing happens.

7) try to edit the source so it reads either

Code:
nfs://192.168.1.*/mnt/HD_b2/TV_SERIES
or
Code:
nfs://192.168.1.*/volume_2/HD_b2/TV_SERIES
7) results in XBMC saying no such path exists. and cannot browse shares.

Debug log show sod all and cannot get a backtrace successfully

Code:
strace -ff -p `pidof xbmc.bin` > ~/strace_xbmc
end up with empty file nothing happens.

Any help setting this up in XBMClive +xbmc git compile on asrock ION would be immensely appreciated.

Fields I can configure in NAS are:

Host = IP of where share is kept (also tried IP of HTPC nfs-common worked with NAS IP)
Share = browse and set volume and share
Read/write
root squash = yes/no

shares show up like so

192.168.1.8Volume_2/MUSIC
Real path: /mnt/HD_b2/MUSIC Yes
192.168.1.8Volume_2/TV_SERIES
Real path: /mnt/HD_b2/TV_SERIES No
ins this case I cannot select which share I want even If Im in videos and select TV_series it goes round and round to nothing. same in music I tried with or with root squash just read and no joy.

If I install nfs-common ad setup the fstab share it works. But I rather use the XBMC NFS client.

Please share your wisdom. As google has nothing to say about this.

If anyone has a Dlink DNS323 and a ION and got this working please help.
debug log debug log http://pastebin.com/msz2Pyni
strace from nohup strace -ff -p `pidof xbmc.bin`
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4325533/Packages/nohup.out
I have an acer revo and a (not shitty) dns323 but use samba shares.
Looks like you maybe using the wrong (or no) credentials when connecting to the NAS
This error is repeated:
08:50:42 T:2984246128 ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: /mnt/HD_b2 (mount/mnt call failed with "RPC error: Mount failed with error MNT3ERR_ACCES(13) Permission denied(13)")
X3lectric Wrote:debug log debug log http://pastebin.com/msz2Pyni
strace from nohup strace -ff -p `pidof xbmc.bin`
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4325533/Packages/nohup.out

Well as of the log its what we both know now. The permission denied is due to the missing "insecure" option on your NFS server. Nothing i can do about it. If you want to test NFS you have to run XBMC as user root - this should make the NFS share work then (because root will connect from privileged port imho).

Your nohup.out is a little big with 80mb. What the hell is in there? Wink

bye memphiz
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
i cant run xbmc as root the way NFS client is done sucks. CLealy its not mature enough, protocols have always been a bit convoluted with xbmc smb was never and is still flaky.

its best to stick to nfs-common and fstab because the NFS client cant handle bog standard NAS boxes, not every person can afford nas boxes that cost a fortune and support higher configurability.

the fact that nfs-common +fstab works is proof that I dont need to have insecure setup, and a NFS client should account for server nt server have to bow down to client.

the nohup.out is the result of nohup strace -ff -p `pidof xbmc.bin`

the only way i could get a trace for you.

if this is it please delete this topic, I wont bother with this anymore. HAve wasted days and nights trying to get this shit to work, now nearly one month of my time.

Anyways thanks for your help and like I said delete this topic since clearly XBMC NFS is infeasible for common retail nas boxes.
Try putting 192.168.1.0/24 into the Host field on the NFS share page

This allows every client in your subnet to access the share. If your NAS has no way to restart the NFS server, reboot the whole NAS.

Do you have telnet or ssh access to your NAS, what does the /etc/exports look like?
toiva Wrote:Try putting 192.168.1.0/24 into the Host field on the NFS share page

This allows every client in your subnet to access the share. If your NAS has no way to restart the NFS server, reboot the whole NAS.

Do you have telnet or ssh access to your NAS, what does the /etc/exports look like?

no telnet or ssh I have no idea how /etc/exports looks... cant fun_plug these cause firmware revision wont allow downgrade.

Ill try that thx and report back.
X3lectric Wrote:its best to stick to nfs-common and fstab because the NFS client cant handle bog standard NAS boxes, not every person can afford nas boxes that cost a fortune and support higher configurability.

the fact that nfs-common +fstab works is proof that I dont need to have insecure setup, and a NFS client should account for server nt server have to bow down to client.

/etc/fstab method works, because it is run as root....
@ Toiva

right set that has you said. No dice...

A few days ago I took the HDD off and plugged itto linux so I coud show Menphiz whats the NFS client looks like

thers a file inside the NFS folder called nfs_config and that looks like this http://pastebin.com/tqQyxreB

its has a line says

ro root_squash "/mnt/HD_%c2%s" %s(%s,%s,sync,no_wdelay,insecure_locks,no_subtree_check,anonuid=%d,anongid=%d)

Thats pretty much it, I can see in xbmc the 192.169.1.8 which is only thing that mounts on via UI

then when you named the share and set content and enter share you see mnt/HD_b2/TV_SERIES and clicking it does nothing absolutely.

screenshots

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/847...t094y.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221...ot095.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/...t098y.png/

debug log http://pastebin.com/6xzQh9BK

Im redoing the shares again and rebooting a 3rd tie to try like you say... you have fun_plug your DNS323? perhpas if I plug te hdd to linux i can put the fun_plug in there with chmod but I already have enough on my plate atm. (im not very familiar with fun_plug but it would take me a while to undertsnad exactly which file to put in and sort out telnet or ssh.

@ wsnipex

Well that great, I know how that works, sort of, but I wont run xbmc as root (as it was suggested by Memphiz) to fix this and break all my other working stuff.

Bad advice to ask someone to run xbmc as root. imo
true, I wouldn't run it as root either. I don't really get the problem though, why do you insist on using libnfs if mounting via fstab works ok. Is there any downside on that?
SInce XBMC FINALLY supports NFS natively I would thought it better and simpler. I do prefer when things are supported natively raher than having to hack around pissing about endlessly, which curiously enough is what Im doing with this nonsense.

Downside is that via fstab I end up having to issue the mount command after system as booted because network doesnt come up until later in booting or is it fstab anyways then to work around that you have to setup autofs which is a pita to setup IMO since limited skillz.

But I am determined to get it to work NFS paws SMB anyday.

I thought that Native NFS was mature enough to handle a wide range of NAS devices but apparently its a fiddle again time.

Its a big waste of time but since Im disabled and suffer from insomnia i may as well give this a real shot. Hopefully with toiva's help Ill get this crap sorted.
jabba200 Wrote:I have an acer revo and a (not shitty) dns323 but use samba shares.
Looks like you maybe using the wrong (or no) credentials when connecting to the NAS
This error is repeated:
08:50:42 T:2984246128 ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: /mnt/HD_b2 (mount/mnt call failed with "RPC error: Mount failed with error MNT3ERR_ACCES(13) Permission denied(13)")

In XBMC thers no way to attribute credentials to the share, the UI shows port user and pass but its all not editable. Apparently according to experts its the insecure setting on NAS thats not set, but at this stage I doubt everything.

so have you tried XBMC new NFS support and if so how does that work? Do you have your dns 323 fun_plug or is it vannila, mine I cnat downgrade f/w, your feedback with the NFS and acer support would be helpful.

on another note cant expect a new think to work out of the box XBMC has never just worked 100% out of the box max 70% including up to these days and git.
Don't hold your breath, I don't have dns-232 myself, and NFS is pretty new to myself as well but

Code:
/etc/exports Failed to open config file!

doesn't look too good. I wonder why mounting via fstab works..
toiva Wrote:Don't hold your breath, I don't have dns-232 myself, and NFS is pretty new to myself as well but

Code:
/etc/exports Failed to open config file!
doesn't look too good. I wonder why mounting via fstab works..

It works cause its run as root so it has access, xbmc user does not, that is a bug IMO.

I tried your suggestion though my mask would be 192.168.1.8/20 because of how my network is configured.

Jabba200 is one guy that can help shed some light on this, I pm him grovelling...

anymore information would be great.

@ Memphiz

Perhaps XBMC user shoudl have root acess to NFS that would fix it no?
Hell dude ... you don't get it. It is not XBMC's flaw here. Go blameing Sloaris or whoever has developed the NFS protocol.

http://www.sunsolarisadmin.com/security/...ged-ports/

and as of

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/security.html

Quote:The TCP ports 1-1024 are reserved for root's use (and therefore sometimes referred to as "secure ports") A non-root user cannot bind these ports. Adding the secure option to an /etc/exports means that it will only listed to requests coming from ports 1-1024 on the client, so that a malicious non-root user on the client cannot come along and open up a spoofed NFS dialogue on a non-reserved port. This option is set by default.

And anyone who wants to help. Don't mix uncomplete knowledge and try helping people if you don't even tested it for yourself.

So once and last again (i quit reading the linux forum then because everyone is shitting on me because their NAS boxes NFS servers are configured in a ristricted way. Thats not fair people...).

XBMC is run as non-root. Mounting allways works because it is done as root. Only root users can start connections from ports lower then 1024. This is a UNIX principle and there for 10th of years and not changeable. Its not a BUG in the XBMC nfs implementation. I CAN'T do anything to change this.

So just stop trying and saying its a bug. Show me any other software which can mount your NFS share as non-root user and i will reverse engineer the hell out of it for how to do it and bring it to XBMC.

I'm done here...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Help setting UP NFS share with libnfs and DNS 3230