SMB stopped working...
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm in the right area, but here it goes:
I have XBMC running on AppleTV 2 - I just installed the newest version about 5 minutes ago.

Everything was working fine until yesterday when I couldn't access any SMB shares anymore.
In library mode I was being told that the files were no longer there and would I like to remove it from the library.
So I deleted the entire library in the hopes of re-adding everything.

When I go to add an SMB share, and I go to "browse" to select which SMB folder I want to stream, it doesn't show me anything - at all.
The computer names on the network aren't even showing up, nevermind the actual shared folders.

Like I said, everything was working fine, and nothing changed on my network or any of my computers... it just seemed to want to stop working.

I've had problems before with verification and SMB shares where it wouldn't take my user name / pw... but this time I can't see a darn thing.

Anyone know what may have caused this? Any possible solutions?

Thanks...

*** Edit: If I go to Video -> Files and try to choose one of the SMB shares I had previously setup I INSTANTLY get a "Error: Operation Timed Out" message, followed by a "Remote Share: Could not connect to network server" message.
**** One more thought, I THINK there was a Windows update the other day (Windows 7), could something have been installed that screws with SMB?
if your using nighlies upgrade cause they borked smb and is now fixed (was in linux) in Microshit anything is possible. what is known to mess with sharing is window live 2011 crapware.
X3lectric Wrote:if your using nighlies upgrade cause they borked smb and is now fixed (was in linux) in Microshit anything is possible. what is know to mess with sharing is window live 2011 crapware.

...what? Not trying to be an ass here or anything, but I have no idea what you just said.

If you're trying to say that upgrading to the latest nightlies to fix the "SMB sharing from Lion" issue, then as of this moment no build with that fix exists (for iOS or OSX). Billy failed on that one. He's currently trying to build again right now, so in about 40 minutes we might have a build that fixes SMB for Lion servers.

However, killerb81 made it pretty dang clear that he is running Windows 7. Meaning that SMB fix and the whole "Sharing from Mac OS Lion" thing doesn't apply to him at all.
killerb81 Wrote:Hi, I'm not sure if I'm in the right area, but here it goes:
I have XBMC running on AppleTV 2 - I just installed the newest version about 5 minutes ago.

Everything was working fine until yesterday when I couldn't access any SMB shares anymore.
In library mode I was being told that the files were no longer there and would I like to remove it from the library.
So I deleted the entire library in the hopes of re-adding everything.

When I go to add an SMB share, and I go to "browse" to select which SMB folder I want to stream, it doesn't show me anything - at all.
The computer names on the network aren't even showing up, nevermind the actual shared folders.

Like I said, everything was working fine, and nothing changed on my network or any of my computers... it just seemed to want to stop working.

I've had problems before with verification and SMB shares where it wouldn't take my user name / pw... but this time I can't see a darn thing.

Anyone know what may have caused this? Any possible solutions?

Thanks...

*** Edit: If I go to Video -> Files and try to choose one of the SMB shares I had previously setup I INSTANTLY get a "Error: Operation Timed Out" message, followed by a "Remote Share: Could not connect to network server" message.

We need the xbmc.log file: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=846403&postcount=4
Ned Scott Wrote:...what? Not trying to be an ass here or anything, but I have no idea what you just said.

If you're trying to say that upgrading to the latest nightlies to fix the "SMB sharing from Lion" issue, then as of this moment no build with that fix exists (for iOS or OSX). Billy failed on that one. He's currently trying to build again right now, so in about 40 minutes we might have a build that fixes SMB for Lion servers.

However, killerb81 made it pretty dang clear that he is running Windows 7. Meaning that SMB fix and the whole "Sharing from Mac OS Lion" thing doesn't apply to him at all.

killerb81 Wrote:I have XBMC running on AppleTV 2 - I just installed the newest version about 5 minutes ago.

Firstly he is not running windows. Hes connecting to or sharing smb with windows...

secondly
no one mentioned anything about lion nor was my intention, there was a bug fixed in XBMC smb supporting code that fixed issues of browsing smb shares, if this fix also applied to windows (which hes not running anyway on a atv) idk (but it sure as hell apllied to linux)

thirdly
its a well known fact that windows live 2011 borks smb connectivity with windows 7.
Is this: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin...r-atv2.deb the latest build?

As I installed it today, and SMB wasn't working for me. Downgraded to 20110820 and it worked again. So something with SMB is broker in 20110822. :I

//yabbah
yea probably they messing a great deal in trunk atm lord knows, stick to that build then ro try to tack the possible change and or report it as a bug.

thats what it sounds like they changed something and broke it. Its the price u pay for bleeding edge.

Speaking of bleeding edge and off_topic I WANT DEXTER BACK....

great advice for OP.
So strange, I just got home and loaded up XBMC to try again...

... and it worked - magically...

Once again it can see the network and all connected PCs / SMB shares...

it wasn't working for 2 days... and now, it is.

thanks guys.
isnt magic lovely...
X3lectric Wrote:Firstly he is not running windows. Hes connecting to or sharing smb with windows...

secondly
no one mentioned anything about lion nor was my intention, there was a bug fixed in XBMC smb supporting code that fixed issues of browsing smb shares, if this fix also applied to windows (which hes not running anyway on a atv) idk (but it sure as hell apllied to linux)

thirdly
its a well known fact that windows live 2011 borks smb connectivity with windows 7.

I obviously meant "running windows on his server". Again, I mean no disrespect, but your first reply was so full of typos that I honestly couldn't make out what you were saying. Sorry for the miscommunication.
This happens to me once in a while on the wireless ATV i have in my bedroom. If you just hold the 2 buttons down. Menu & Play and reset it that seems to fix it everytime. Dont know why it happens but that always fixes it for me. A pain in the butt yes, but a small price to pay and an easy fix.
Ned Scott Wrote:I obviously meant "running windows on his server". Again, I mean no disrespect, but your first reply was so full of typos that I honestly couldn't make out what you were saying. Sorry for the miscommunication.

1 typo and 40 hours straight no sleep.
Hi,

I confirm that SMB is not working with nightly 20110822 and 20110824.
it is working with 20110820.

I hope this can be fixed....

Thanks,

Eric

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB stopped working...0