• 5(current)
.mkv stuttering playback??
Here's something interesting - twice now I've paused a video at the start, then continued playing it and I never see a skip.
I've tested the build by 0wing on the other thread and it seemed to correct stuff. Might've been placebo but I've liked the results.

I only have DXVA enabled - no auto-adjust refresh or sync playback. Just like Dharma days.
What I really need to know is when this started, because I'm shooting in the dark. The date of August 25 surfaced but there were a few earlier changes that could possibly have something to do with the problem.

And for all of you, please confirm if this happens with dxva decoding only, or also with software decoding+dxva rendering.

You'll have to go there to find older nightlies: http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Quick question -

What's the difference between the render methods and what does auto choose?

Thanks.
Pixel Shaders - xbmc's own color conversion and scaling algorithms, accelerated by the GPU
DXVA - use whatever the manufacturer provides. You should get the same image processing that is available with any direct show player. Set the options in the graphics driver control panel.
Software - color conversion with the CPU and no fancy scaling.

Auto tries the Pixel Shaders and falls back on software.
In the case of software decoding, DXVA rendering has a slightly higher CPU cost, but nothing major. You can now get dxva deinterlacing that way.
In the case of dxva decoding, dxva rendering is forced (unless you set an advanced setting) and is the best performing option.
Picture quality may be better with dxva rendering, thanks to fancier processing, but that really depends on the manufacturer's implementation and the strength of your card.

It got more complicated lately, yeah...
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Thanks.

Which is best for quality?
Quote:Picture quality may be better with dxva rendering, thanks to fancier processing, but that really depends on the manufacturer's implementation and the strength of your card.

You tell us! dxva rendering has more potential as things stand because there is only very minimal image processing done in xbmc.

IIRC you only get bilinear filtering on Ion through dxva and that could make a difference for anything < 720p.
And back on topic, guys please find when the problem started. Has to be earlier than August 25 if my patch doesn't help.

You can use http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/ for older nightlies.
It no longer has files old enough.
So it's older than July 8?

edit: from my commit log, other dates when something was changed for dxva are September 6, August 22, August 6, July 28
But it's not impossible that another unrelated change did it, and the problem happens to be more visible with dxva.
XBMCSetup-20110803-1738a4f-master.exe: Constant Dropped Frames

XBMCSetup-20110727-33fcf32-master.exe: Zero Dropped Frames
xxrzdxx Wrote:XBMCSetup-20110803-1738a4f-master.exe: Constant Dropped Frames

This is also the last build where playing a rar archive also works.

I noticed the newer builds don't show you the directory tree within a movie folder - regardless if you are in library mode or file mode. Non of these builds work with rar archives for me UNLESS the rar only contains the one video file.
Anyone take a look at my debug? I have tried every option in xmbc no combo seems to make .mkv's play good, but when I use stupid windows media they play fine? Sucks not using xbmc Sad
xxrzdxx Wrote:XBMCSetup-20110803-1738a4f-master.exe: Constant Dropped Frames

To rule out (or in) the DXVA related changes made on July 28, would you mind installing XBMCSetup-20110727-33fcf32-master.exe, then replacing XBMC.exe in your XBMC installation directory with this one? Then ofcourse play some problematic files to see whether you have dropped frames. Smile

The .exe I linked is identical to the one in XBMCSetup-20110727-33fcf32-master.exe + just two commits: {53583f1b60b912a04d34c4b3896a1c77ff1ecf3b - DXVA rendering for software decoded material - thanks isidrogar} and {30a90701ecff5ac147796d4dadc9c08924a90c27 - [fix] - process mouse buttons only on button release [...]}. I do not seem to exhibit the issue with this .exe, but it is very hard to detect on my hardware without DXVA deinterlacing.

Also, if you still have XBMCSetup-20110803-1738a4f-master.exe, would you please upload it somewhere for others to test?
Since posting I have reverted to the XBMCSetup-20110727-33fcf32-master.exe release until this issue is resolved. The new .exe file seems to have made no difference with this build, I still do not have any dropped frames while playing.

As posted earlier by CrystalIP, some of the older nightlies including the one I am currently using are available at http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/ . They are a little burried, but they are there.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.mkv stuttering playback??0