• 1(current)
.mkv stuttering playback??
Hey guys, new here, just built a new HTPC and im having a problem with xbmc and stuttering playback of .mkv files. Everything esle seems to play fine but mkv files. Heres my setup

Windows 7 64bit
ASUS M4A78LT-M mobo radeon hd3000 series gfx, HDMI and optical audio out.
AMD 955 black edition (3.2ghz quad core)
4gig ddr3

hd shouldnt be an issue, im not trying to play over the network..

Any help or tips would be great, Thanks!
Chances are even with that CPU you need to turn on hardware decoding because the version of ffmpeg used in XBMC isn't multithreaded
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
I have tried toggling the hardware acceleration option in xbmc, I also have newest catalyst 10.8 drivers installed on a fresh install of win7 64.
In XBMC go to

Settings > Video > Playback, and turn on "Allow Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2)"
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Yup tried that.
Have you installed XBMC Dharma 10.1 or one of the new nighly builds? Because I have noticed stuttering on 720p mkv in the nightlies what were not there in 10.1.
Have you tried toggling the screenmode? Try fake full screen vs. the other option or vice versa.

Mark
The first step in all such queries is to provide a debug log.

Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC, then play one of the troublesome mkvs until it stutters. Close XBM and put a copy of the log on pastebin.com and post the link here.

A quick way to open the debug log is to press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into pastebin.com and post the link it gives you here.

JR
Thanks I will try the full screen thing tonight. I have not installed the nightly builds just the main 10.1 version that is available for download from the downloads section. I am trying to play 720p mkv's with DTS and Dobly audio. I converted the mkv's to vob's and it smooths them out but i dont want to have to have to convert all mkv's all the time...
jhsrennie Wrote:The first step in all such queries is to provide a debug log.

Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC, then play one of the troublesome mkvs until it stutters. Close XBM and put a copy of the log on pastebin.com and post the link here.

A quick way to open the debug log is to press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into pastebin.com and post the link it gives you here.

JR

Thank you I will post a debug report when I get home!
nbraybrook Wrote:Hey guys, new here, just built a new HTPC and im having a problem with xbmc and stuttering playback of .mkv files. Everything esle seems to play fine but mkv files. Heres my setup

Windows 7 64bit
ASUS M4A78LT-M mobo radeon hd3000 series gfx, HDMI and optical audio out.
AMD 955 black edition (3.2ghz quad core)
4gig ddr3

hd shouldnt be an issue, im not trying to play over the network..

Any help or tips would be great, Thanks!
if you haven't update the latest catalyst, you can update it from here- Graphics Drivers & Software. you need to adjust the hdtv resolution in the catalyst control center (Output to TV via HDMI port), and in catalyst control center, go to video settings and video playback, set it to enforce smooth video playback. do these in xbmc: system>settings>video>playback (select allow hardware acceleration (dxva2), adjust display refresh rate to match video and sync playback to display) and system>settings>system>video output (select full screen for display model and select same resolution as adjusted in catalyst). for audio in xbmc, do these: system>settings>system>audio output (select proper audio output to match your connection).

may i ask why you are using hdmi for video and optical for audio? why not do this- htpc>avr>hdtv with hdmi cables? you can set avr to passthrough. it's great for both pq/aq.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
What helped in my situation was to disable "use a fullscreen windows rather than true fullscreen". Default this is enabled. When disabled my movies run smooth with DXVA acceleraion enabled.

you can find this setting unders system > video output
Flixxen Wrote:What helped in my situation was to disable "use a fullscreen windows rather than true fullscreen". Default this is enabled. When disabled my movies run smooth with DXVA acceleraion enabled.

you can find this setting unders system > video output
that is what i suggested in post #11
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Currently its hooked to my desktop monitor I dont want to hook it to the tv until i get it running smoothly. Running optical out because my receiver does not have hdmi input, so hdmi to tv optical to receiver.
I think the window full screen thing solved the problem, also turning off video post processing made massive improvements.. I think im good. I will all video options were grouped into one video setup option, I think part of the problem is having to go all over to setup different settings.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.mkv stuttering playback??0