[QNAP] NFS Guide now in Wiki
reddwarf355 Wrote:Maybe a nice feature to add to the really nice wiki about NFS

just add the insecure option also to /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/nfssetting

"/share/MD0_DATA/Public" *(rw,async,no_root_squash)
[Access]
/share/MD0_DATA/Qdownload = rw,insecure
[AllowIP]
/share/MD0_DATA/Qdownload = *

Did not try a firmware update though...

Cheers red

Not at home to check it out, but what's the difference with nfssetting in /mnt as opposed to /etc ?

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Cranial Wrote:Not at home to check it out, but what's the difference with nfssetting in /mnt as opposed to /etc ?

Seems that QNAP is dynamically building the files in /etc/config at boot time with the files from /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/nfssetting.

rebooted my snap and NFS is still working with the insecure option.
reddwarf355 Wrote:Seems that QNAP is dynamically building the files in /etc/config at boot time with the files from /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/nfssetting.

rebooted my snap and NFS is still working with the insecure option.

Really? bugger. I did reboot mine and the settings held/applied. Only rebooted once though Eek

I'll look further into it when I get a chance and let you know more. Some models may differ perhaps? I've got a very busy work weekend, but I will get to it.

All these new guides on the wiki look really great guys! If anyone else wants to dive in and help or make a brand new guide then just let me know and I'll give you access to create pages (right now page creation is disabled until your account is two days old and you have made five edits, but I can force it early).

The NFS article being talked about here is a great example of how a good guide should look!
Are there any advantages by using NFS vs SMB or AFP? I plan on getting a QNAP TS-419PII to use as my centralize fileserver where I will keep all my media for XBMC. But I was going to use it as an SMB share since it's the most common. However I'm interested in hearing about NFS, are there any benefits?
Coolness factor.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-04-23, 10:00)Memphiz Wrote: Coolness factor.

Ha. Yup, this.

Oh, and the faster read/write, stability of connections are a bonus.

SMB: slow.
AFP: fast, easy, but Apple only really.

NFS: Fastest. Can work across all platforms.

Still using FTP here on my QNAP.

The hassle of having to redo the NFS instructions if the QNAP is reset put me off ;(
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
(2012-04-23, 13:34)nsviper Wrote: Still using FTP here on my QNAP.

The hassle of having to redo the NFS instructions if the QNAP is reset put me off ;(

Yeah, that one kinda sucks. I ran out of time to look into that. I really should get back to it and try to update the wiki if I improve it.

P.S. I'm more likely to do it if I'm reminded/hounded.... Wink

I would be happy if a permanent Qnap solution for NFS!

Good news. I've got the NFS settings surviving a reboot. It's simple, but not for the inexperienced.

The bad news.

The method used is slightly different depending on your QNAP platform, so it'll take me a little bit to edit the Wiki guide to cover everything. But hopefully I'll find the time to do it soon.

Okay, guide edited. Can I get someone with some knowledge to have a quick look and see if I've made any glaring mistakes, I'm tired and sick, so it could happen.....

QNAP Guide

looks like it could work Wink. Though there is still the red warning on the top which says that these settings won't stick after a reboot. You could move this warning down to the point where it belongs (e.x. before the ''optional" steps to make it sticky).

thx for finding it out Smile
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-04-25, 00:00)Memphiz Wrote: looks like it could work Wink. Though there is still the red warning on the top which says that these settings won't stick after a reboot. You could move this warning down to the point where it belongs (e.x. before the ''optional" steps to make it sticky).

thx for finding it out Smile

Thanks Memphiz. I've done that now. I think I'll also add the linked guide directly into the wiki, just in case anything changes there.

Will test that out on my TS410 and let u know how I get on...
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[QNAP] NFS Guide now in Wiki0