Switch from PCH C-200 to any HTPC, advice needed
I've played 2 hours around yesterday with XBMC on my main computer and the movie disks attached. Once I figured out how XBMC reads nfo, box arts and fanarts, it already worked smoothly on a test folder. And honestly it looks so much greater than the PCH skin I used.

How did you guys who also did the switch from YAMJ to XBMC rename your box arts (aka posters, thumbnails) and your fanarts?

I checked YANFOE yesterday and the option to set the file output to the formats used by XBMC exists. Strange thing though is that for my existing database, it doesn't seem to create a batch of new files, I'd have to click on each movie, but that's a YANFOE thing I guess.

Nevertheless, even if it'd work I'd have some trash files (the old ones with the YAMJ naming convention) in my movie folders.
--> So what I'm gonna do now (already did for one small movie folder) is: I'm going to rename the files using the program "Advanced Renamer". It seems for me the least hassle, but please tell me if you know an even simpler way to do it Nod.
I just renamed:
<Movie>.fanart.jpg to <Movie>-fanart.jpg
and
<Movie>.jpg to <Movie>.tbn
T800 Wrote:I just renamed:
<Movie>.fanart.jpg to <Movie>-fanart.jpg
and
<Movie>.jpg to <Movie>.tbn

sure, that's what I did as well to test it and it works. However with roughly 700 movies and the corresponding fanarts and posters, it would take to much time without a program which helps to achieve the goal.

Cool thing about the Advanced Renamer is that you can easily scan all folders where you have your movies stored (even if you have every movie inside a separate folder where your additional files such as nfo's and fanarts are also stored).
I just give the command lines
1.) Replace . by -
2.) Replace *.jpg by *.tbn
The only thing that I have to do manually is to select every second jpg file since the fanarts also use the jpg format, but that's no big deal.
T800 Wrote:Really?!?

Each to their own but personally I wouldn't go back to the PCH/YAMJ unless there was fear of death!Nod
Don't get me wrong, using YAMJ on the PCH worked well and looked very good for what it was.
On nearly any skin XBMC completely destroys it! In looks, usability and don't even get me started on set up and scanning!.

Try telling that my wife, she much prefers the simple clean layout of YAMJ (with a tweaked default skin, 8x3 movies per page) than XBMC. Don't get me wrong, I like XBMC and I also have XBMC on the HTPC as alternative to YAMJ for myself, but when using it with the wife it has to be YAMJ.

To get YAMJ working I used Opera (which has native LIRC remote control support) running full screen with some self-written scripts to launch mplayer when clicking on the play icon for a movie. It works great, absolutely reliable, it even does 24/50/60 Hz auto-switching based on movie frame rate.

I wouldn't go back to a PCH either but YAMJ is a good solution on a HTPC for someone who prefers a simple clean UI.
ion_man Wrote:Try telling that my wife, she much prefers the simple clean layout of YAMJ (with a tweaked default skin, 8x3 movies per page) than XBMC.

I've had the default layout as well where I saw the movies by category on the left side, could sort the movies by alphabet on the top and had my separate movie folders (1080p, 720p, lowres) shown separately as well. I've had 6x3 movies.
But doesn't a similar skin also exists for XBMC? It's a pretty basic theme to me, especially compared to the Aeon XBMC theme.
ion_man Wrote:Try telling that my wife, she much prefers the simple clean layout of YAMJ (with a tweaked default skin, 8x3 movies per page) than XBMC. Don't get me wrong, I like XBMC and I also have XBMC on the HTPC as alternative to YAMJ for myself, but when using it with the wife it has to be YAMJ.

To get YAMJ working I used Opera (which has native LIRC remote control support) running full screen with some self-written scripts to launch mplayer when clicking on the play icon for a movie. It works great, absolutely reliable, it even does 24/50/60 Hz auto-switching based on movie frame rate.

I wouldn't go back to a PCH either but YAMJ is a good solution on a HTPC for someone who prefers a simple clean UI.

With a skin like Cirrus Extended you can have a wall layout, you can remove every item except movies and tv shows on the main screen. You can lock it so the view can't be changed with kiosk mode. You can add a section to the home screen for specific things.
I've added one called "Kyle's Videos" for my son. It has a picture of his favourite show on it and it's directly link to a folder with his shows in.

As standard XBMC it can be hard to get to grips with but it can all be modified to suit the user, just like YAMJ.
ecopsorn Wrote:sure, that's what I did as well to test it and it works. However with roughly 700 movies and the corresponding fanarts and posters, it would take to much time without a program which helps to achieve the goal.

Cool thing about the Advanced Renamer is that you can easily scan all folders where you have your movies stored (even if you have every movie inside a separate folder where your additional files such as nfo's and fanarts are also stored).
I just give the command lines
1.) Replace . by -
2.) Replace *.jpg by *.tbn
The only thing that I have to do manually is to select every second jpg file since the fanarts also use the jpg format, but that's no big deal.

I just meant generally that's what I did. I used Name Mangler and Spotlight on my mac.
To get around the .jpg to .tbn
• I renamed -fanart.jpg to -fanart.jpn
• Then changed all .jpg to .tbn
• Then changed all -fanart.jpn back to -fanart.jpg again.
T800 Wrote:I just meant generally that's what I did. I used Name Mangler and Spotlight on my mac.
To get around the .jpg to .tbn
• I renamed -fanart.jpg to -fanart.jpn
• Then changed all .jpg to .tbn
• Then changed all -fanart.jpn back to -fanart.jpg again.

Hmm, but how did you sort the fanart jpg's from the poster jpg's?
If I sort by filetype, both files are listed with the movie name such as:
"Movie.jpg"
"Movie.fanart.jpg"
"Movie2.jpg"
"Movie2.fanart.jpg"

How did you manage to rename only the fanart files than? At my place, I'd have to select every second jpg file according to the listing above manually.
I told it to rename".fanart.jpg" to ".fanart.abc" (changing the file extension so it differs to the <Movie>.jpg
Then I can rename any .jpg to .tbn
When all the <Movie>.tbn are done I can then find everything named .fanart.abc and rename name them to -fanart.jpg.

Does that make sense?
T800 Wrote:I told it to rename".fanart.jpg" to ".fanart.abc" (changing the file extension so it differs to the <Movie>.jpg
Then I can rename any .jpg to .tbn
When all the <Movie>.tbn are done I can then find everything named .fanart.abc and rename name them to -fanart.jpg.

Does that make sense?

It does make sense from a logical point of view, but from a practical one I'm confused :confused2:.
The question is, how can you tell the program that only the *.fanart.jpg files should be renamed to *.fanart.abc? If I sort by extension, it shows me also the poster files which I'll have to rename to *.tbn Smile as described in my previous post.
Do you have a filter function to filter out all the files with "fanart" in the name? If yes, than it makes sense, otherwise I still don't get it Big Grin
You don't sort by extension until the fanart extensions have been altered.

I searched for anything with .fanart in the name and then changed the extension to .abc or whatever.

If you can ask the program rename everything with .fanart in the name to -fanart, I would imagine it can rename the extension with anything with .fanart it the name?
T800 Wrote:You don't sort by extension until the fanart extensions have been altered.

I searched for anything with .fanart in the name and then changed the extension to .abc or whatever.

If you can ask the program rename everything with .fanart in the name to -fanart, I would imagine it can rename the extension with anything with .fanart it the name?

I get your point now but this is something I first have to check at home if this is possible.
The . into - I do for all files using the "Replace" function of the program. But I guess with asteriks such as * it should be possible. Gonna give it a try, thanks for your help.

EDIT: Yes it worked also with Advanced Renamer. Thanks man, the idea to change the extension of fanart to a something else saved me a lot of time Smile
Hey there, back again

Thought it doesn't make sense to open a new thread, so I'm going to ask a couple of more things about the home made build. I have something together now and will post it as soon as I think it's finished, but what I wanted to ask is:

Do you guys use Win 7 32bit or 64 bit for your HTPC setup? I'm planning on putting in 4gb ram so 32bit won't be able to use them all. So are there any known problems with a 64 bit OS and XBMC?
ecopsorn Wrote:Hey there, back again

Thought it doesn't make sense to open a new thread, so I'm going to ask a couple of more things about the home made build. I have something together now and will post it as soon as I think it's finished, but what I wanted to ask is:

Do you guys use Win 7 32bit or 64 bit for your HTPC setup? I'm planning on putting in 4gb ram so 32bit won't be able to use them all. So are there any known problems with a 64 bit OS and XBMC?
no, my htpc's works flawless with w7 64-bit. it playback bd in full 1080P with dts-hd/truehd flawless so far!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:no, my htpc's works flawless with w7 64-bit. it playback bd in full 1080P with dts-hd/truehd flawless so far!

great, thanks for the quick answer

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switch from PCH C-200 to any HTPC, advice needed0