XBMC Nightly (+ xbmc-live) and Wii Remote
I decided to add a hard drive and use it as a sandbox to play around with the pre-Eden nightlies. I got everything up and running and installed Pre-11.0 compiled on Sept. 25th, so today's build.

Everything was going fine until I installed xbmc-live, when I did that the xbmc-eventclients were uninstalled. I use the wii remote eventclient so that I can control XBMC with my Wii remote, I don't have a remote other than it. Can I still use the wiiremote with the nightlies+xbmc-live or do I have to find another way of doing things?
Anybody?

If installing xbmc-live is killing the wiimote functionality, what do I have to do to have xbmc autostart? Could I just put an entry in rc.local, or is more involved. I'm willing to forgo the xbmc-live part and work at getting vanilla xbmc autostarting if I can keep the wiimote as a controller.
how are you installing the latest nightly build?
I added the repository for nightlies (apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable)
Something's up. Now if I have any version installed I can't install any of the eventclients. Currently, I have the Oct 7 git version. I can start xbmc just fine, but if I try to install any of the eventclients xbmc and xbmc-bin are removed. I don't have another remote to use currently. Am I stuck using the keyboard only?

Can someone please let me know what's going on here?
hmmm i'm stuck with this too.

If I install 10.1 and then upgrade, everything works until I add the wiimote eventclient. it then goes right ahead and removes xbmc

if i install 10.1 then the wiimote and finally do the upgrade I can see it uninstalling the eventclient.

confused!
Yup, installed a nightly compiled yesterday, same issue. I can usually work around it by launching XBMC and then installing the eventclient. I can then launch xbmc-wiiremote and pair my wiimote. I then reinstall XBMC. The wiimote stays active, so I can use it for navigation. Sucks, bit it seems like the only way of doing things for now. It would be reeeeeeaaaaalllly nice if someone in the know could chime in on this.
ahhh thats too much of a fiddle. Such a shame as the wiimote is almost perfect. back to 10.1
Oh, I agree that it's a ginormous P.I.T.A., but it's the only way I've found of making the Wiimote work with pre-Eden. Thing is, if none of the evenclients install correctly, it kills more than the Wiimote, other remotes are not going to work either.

Luckily, I have a sandbox install of pre-Eden. My main install of XBMC is still Dharma.
Sorry to bump this, but is no-one else eventclient/remote/wiimote issues?

pease puddin
@pumkinut - I've started a thread on the openelec forum http://www.openelec.tv/forum/14-general-...te-re-sync theres been a bit of interest. you might wanna follow that too

peace
Success!!!!

I updated to Eden Beta 2 today, and for grins, I tried installing the eventclients again. To my surprise xbmc-eventclients-common installed without a hitch. The Wii remote eventclient failed with the following error:
Quote:dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote_2%3a11.0~git20120120.f76c547-0ubuntu1~ppa1~oneiric_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/man/man1/xbmc-wiiremote.1.gz', which is also in package xbmc-bin 2:11.0~git20120120.f76c547-0ubuntu1~ppa1~oneiric
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote_2%3a11.0~git20120120.f76c547-0ubuntu1~ppa1~oneiric_amd64.deb

So, after some searching I found mossroy had opened a trac ticket stating that he was seeing the same behavior. He also wrote that performing the installation with "--force-overwrite" worked.

I then did some digging and found where the .deb is stored and got everything to work as follows:

The .deb is stored in /var/cache/apt/archives. To force the installation, issue this command:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc-eventclients-common
sudo apt-get install libcwiid
sudo apt-get install xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote
The last command will fail because of the above error. Install the first two either individually or together, but not with the wiiremote eventclient. Because the wii remote package fails, the others download but are not configured. Installing them without the wii remote package allows them to be configured and ready.

Now, since you've already tried, but failed, to install the wiiremote eventclient, the deb is already downloaded in the apt cache. So, if you do the following, it will force the installation:
Code:
dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archive/xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote*
I'm not sure if the wildcard will work or not, I fed dpkg the full path and filename, but the .deb filename will differ depending upon architecture, so I didn't want to give the specific filename and cause more confusion.

Anyway, once the above command was issued, the wiiremote eventclient installed and I was able to fire it up with:
Code:
xbmc-wiiremote &
This ran cleanly and I was able to sync my wii remote by pressing 1 and 2 simultaneously. I then added the above line to the end of /etc/rc.local so the eventclient is launched automatically.

Happy Day!
pumkinut: I am not getting anywhere with the --force-overwrite. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I have a feeling I am just missing something.

sudo apt-get install xbmc-eventclients-common uninstalls xbmc, xbmc-bin, xbmc-live, but I went ahead and installed it anyway and let it remove those packages. I found appropriate xbmc-eventclients-common*.deb file and used the --force-overwrite and it installs fine. I then install xbmc, xbmc-bin, xbmc-live and doing that removes xbmc-eventclients-common. What am I missing?

btw I am using xbmc-pvr branch.
The only way I got it to work was using the official Beta 2. If you use that's, then xbmc-eventclients-common will install, then you can "--force-overwite" the wii remote eventclient. I can't help you with the pvr build, as I don't use it.

What you can try is installing XBMC, then install the eventclient Debs with dpkg -i --force-all to see if it works, but I don't know what the result will be.
Gotcha. Thanks for the help. I will have a beer and then decide. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Nightly (+ xbmc-live) and Wii Remote0