XBMC Nightly (+ xbmc-live) and Wii Remote
Well, I think I've pretty much given up on using the Wii Remote with XBMC, sadly. With Eden, I just can't make it work consistently. Now that I have the eventclient installed, I can't get the Wiimote to sync with my HTPC and XBMC, so I can't use it. I'm not sure how to effectively troubleshoot.

Using lswm I get the followiing:
Code:
xbmc@XBMC:~$ lswm
Put Wiimotes in discoverable mode now (press 1+2)...
00:1E:35:CA:13:22
xbmc@XBMC:~$
So the bluetooth adapter I have sees the Wiimote, it's just that the eventclient can't seem to sync. When I launch the eventclient, I get the popup notification in XBMC. I then press 1+2 on the Wiimote. The 4 blue LEDs start to flash, but they never stop like they should once the eventclient and the Wiimote sync up. Not sure where to go from here to see where the problem is.
Thumbs Up 
Now, since you've already tried, but failed, to install the wiiremote eventclient, the deb is already downloaded in the apt cache. So, if you do the following, it will force the installation:
Code:
dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archive/xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote*
I'm not sure if the wildcard will work or not, I fed dpkg the full path and filename, but the .deb filename will differ depending upon architecture, so I didn't want to give the specific filename and cause more confusion.

:p

The problem is that the dir is named /var/cache/apt/archives/ not archive. After I made this change, mine worked fine as you indicated. Good Job!
I installed the wiiremote successfully on yavdr4 with xbmc-pvr from pulse eight (Beta2) and pumkinut's guide! Thx!

I have one question:
Is it possible to use the wiiremote as the (xbmc) mouse pointer?
Do I have to activate it somewhere?
XBMC 11.0 Eden
Pulse Eight PVR

Guys, here is what I am getting. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to even get xbmc-eventclients-common to install let alone xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote...

$ sudo apt-get install xbmc-eventclients-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
python-bluez ttf-liberation python-qt3 python-sip libqt3-mt
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
xbmc xbmc-live
The following NEW packages will be installed:
xbmc-eventclients-common
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 58.0kB of archives.
After this operation, 42.1MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

So I tried the suggested --force-overwrite on "xbmc-eventclient-common" and get...

:/var/cache/apt/archives$ sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite xbmc-eventclients-common*
dpkg: regarding xbmc-eventclients-common_2%3a11.0-pvr+p8~pre-natty-git20120127.62ff5bd-0ubuntu1~stable65~lucid_all.deb containing xbmc-eventclients-common:
xbmc conflicts with xbmc-eventclients-common
xbmc-eventclients-common (version 2:11.0-pvr+p8~pre-natty-git20120127.62ff5bd-0ubuntu1~stable65~lucid) is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing xbmc-eventclients-common_2%3a11.0-pvr+p8~pre-natty-git20120127.62ff5bd-0ubuntu1~stable65~lucid_all.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing xbmc-eventclients-common
Errors were encountered while processing:
xbmc-eventclients-common_2%3a11.0-pvr+p8~pre-natty-git20120127.62ff5bd-0ubuntu1~stable65~lucid_all.deb

Huh?
It looks as you need to update XBMC itself first. I've installed the Pulse-Eight version of XBMC and with eventclients with no problem.
pumkinut: you mean update, as in install xbmcbuntu? To update xbmc, I usually just apt-get update & apt-get upgrade. Every once in a while I apt-get dist-upgrade. I just did those to see if there was any updates and everything was current as far as I can tell. Any advice on how to update without starting over?
Try and apt-get update and then apt-get install xbmc. I just performed a fresh install of XBMCBuntu today and was able to install xbmc-eventclients-common and xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote without any issues at all. I didn't even need to perform a dpkg -i, the apt-get install worked just fine.

Since your using the pulse-eight builds you may want to check their boards as well to see if anyone else is having issues. When you go to System Info, what version of XBMC does it say you're using? Is it Eden or pre-Eden e.g. beta or RC?
It is xbmc 11.0 compiled 3/25/2012, PVR build. How did XBMCbuntu install and setup for you? I am waiting to buy an NAS to move all my media to and then start fresh with xbmcbuntu. Just a bit hesitant because it was a major project to get lirc & my harmony remote and various other things such as tv tuner setup and working. Might have to bite the bullet. Thanks for the suggestion on the pulse eight forums. I will give that a shot.
XBMCBuntu install went splendidly. I bought a 64GB SSD so I performed a brand new install. As I said the installation of the eventclients, both common and wiiremote, went without a single incident. The only thing I have to do now is add a delay to my rc.local file before executing xbmc-wiiremote, because the box is booting so fast off the SSD that the command is executed before everything else is ready....I think it's a change that I can live with Wink.
Wow that is impressive. I am ordering a Synology NAS today and then will start the upgrade. Thanks for the help.
I have a Synology DS211j and I love it. The only problem is I'm running out of space. I have 2 2TB drives installed in a mirrored setup. There's no way I'm going striped across only 2 drives. I plan on getting a 4 bay Synology enclosure. The beauty is, I can just move the 2 drives over to a new chassis and that's it, no further configuration needed. I can then just add drives as I need them, and eventually have a 3 drive stripe setup with 1 parity drive.
(2012-02-10, 22:09)pumkinut Wrote: Well, I think I've pretty much given up on using the Wii Remote with XBMC, sadly. With Eden, I just can't make it work consistently. Now that I have the eventclient installed, I can't get the Wiimote to sync with my HTPC and XBMC, so I can't use it. I'm not sure how to effectively troubleshoot.

Using lswm I get the followiing:
Code:
xbmc@XBMC:~$ lswm
Put Wiimotes in discoverable mode now (press 1+2)...
00:1E:35:CA:13:22
xbmc@XBMC:~$
So the bluetooth adapter I have sees the Wiimote, it's just that the eventclient can't seem to sync. When I launch the eventclient, I get the popup notification in XBMC. I then press 1+2 on the Wiimote. The 4 blue LEDs start to flash, but they never stop like they should once the eventclient and the Wiimote sync up. Not sure where to go from here to see where the problem is.

I have this exact problem. I upgraded to the Eden version from the XBMC repo, and I didn't and still don't have any problems at all installing the eventclients, but once installed I get nada. lswm sees the device, but when I run xbmc-wiiremote manually it never outputs anything, and the remote never connects.
Not sure what your problem(s) may be. Upon performing a fresh install of XBMCBuntu, I installed the eventclients and everything works like it's supposed to now.
Yeah, that's the impression I got from the thread. I'm not really willing to do a fresh install, since there are some other fiddly things about my system that are working beautifully right now.

Maybe at some point I'll get a few hours to build from source and see if I can debug.
Update: I took an apt-get upgrade today, and on a whim, installed xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote. After modifying xbmc-standalone to launch xbmc-wiiremote (as usual - I actually just restored my backup) the wii remote is functioning perfectly, as if nothing had ever been wrong.

No idea why, but I'm delighted that it's working!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Nightly (+ xbmc-live) and Wii Remote0