Ran out of space on atv2 can't install nightly
I tried installing the latest nightly, and I get errors saying there is no space on my ATV2.

Is there anything i can delete to make room, I've only got xbmc with a few plugins installed on it.

I notice, I have lots of large databases:

Addons.db
Addons14.db
Addons15.db
MyMusic16.db
MyMusic7.db
MyPrograms3.db
MyPrograms6.db
MyVideos34.db
MyVideos53.db
MyVideos54.db
MyVideos55.db
Textures.db
Textures6.db
ViewModes.db
ViewModes4.db

but unsure if I can delete any of these?
What does the output of the "df" command look like? Curious to see if you're running out in "/" or in "/private/var".

Maybe you've already tried, but I'd do a find to see if there's any big files around that you don't need... other than the db's, e.g. the following only finds one file (dyld_shared_cache_armv7) over 100Mb on my atv2:

cd /
find . -size +100M
df output:
Code:
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/disk0s1s1          819200    422968    388040  53% /
devfs                       27        27         0 100% /dev
/dev/disk0s1s2         6912056   6808192    103864  99% /private/var

find . -size 100M returns no results as does 50M, however I'm not too up to speed on syntax, does that search everywhere or just the current directory?
du -h /
du output: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9071090/du%20output.txt

Not sure what I'm looking for now.
Defbref Wrote:du output: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9071090/du%20output.txt

Not sure what I'm looking for now.

Probably these lines:
5.0G /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental
5.2G /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video
5.2G /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV
5.2G /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches

Looks like you rented a movie and the cache hasn't been cleaned out yet.

Re: the find command, it'll act recursively, that's why you want to cd to /, i.e. so it'll traverse everything. Not sure why you didn't find anything, maybe you ran it in root's homedir or something. Prolly would've been easier if I'd said "find /" rather than "find ." which starts in the current dir.
Thanks, yeah kids rented something last week, don't suppose anybody knows how to clear the cache?
Not 100% sure but I'd look in /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental and delete any big files that looked like cached movies, i.e. I wouldn't delete the .plist file that's in there.

I don't think it'll hurt deleting the cache files. The rentals should've expired by now.
jd2157 Wrote:Not 100% sure but I'd look in /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental and delete any big files that looked like cached movies, i.e. I wouldn't delete the .plist file that's in there.

I don't think it'll hurt deleting the cache files. The rentals should've expired by now.

It's not just rentals that cache there. I watch iTunes U video (local network from files on my MBP/iTunes) and it fills up the ATV2 pretty quickly. It caches whole files played over the network.

You can just clear out anything that isn't .plist in there.

Devs, perhaps we need a better way of clearing caches on the ATV2? I think more and more users will see this problem if the ATV2 is a multi purpose device for them?

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Cranial Wrote:It's not just rentals that cache there. I watch iTunes U video (local network from files on my MBP/iTunes) and it fills up the ATV2 pretty quickly. It caches whole files played over the network.

You can just clear out anything that isn't .plist in there.

Devs, perhaps we need a better way of clearing caches on the ATV2? I think more and more users will see this problem if the ATV2 is a multi purpose device for them?

We do not and will not ever touch content or directories that does not belong to xbmc. That would be rude.
davilla Wrote:We do not and will not ever touch content or directories that does not belong to xbmc. That would be rude.

Yeah good point. A wiki entry, with the required warnings, explaining how to check free space and remove cache files if required should suffice.

Unless it's already there, I'll have to check the updated wiki Wink

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
has anyone tried rebooting to clear the caches?
Yeah, I've rebooted but it made no difference, will just try deleting the files.
Just did the command

rm -r /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental

And there were new errors in the syslog, however xbmc started and i was able to get past the setting time and date. The apple had no space left on the device

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ran out of space on atv2 can't install nightly0