Most stable Ubuntu for XBMC?
I am currently running Ubuntu 9.10 with XBMC. I got some new hard drives so plan on doing some re-organization and basically rebuild the system from scratch. I did a lot of experimenting on my last build to get some things working and just want a nice fresh clean install.

So which is the most stable release for XBMC currently (as in today 10/17/11)? I heard there were some issues with 11.10, so I am leaning towards 11.04 because I want to be as current as possible with regards to other packages I use.

Thanks
Antec Fusion
Intel E2160 (1.8GHz)
4GB Patriot DDR2 800
Auztech X-Mystique Sound Card
300GB + 500GB + 750GB + 1TB
Ubuntu 9.10
I'm running 11.10 without problems. Specially on ATI hardware I recommend it, since everything needed is already in the normal ubuntu repositories(apart from xbmc itself)
I'm tired of the "Everything changes every 6 months" crap that I have to deal with on my girlfriend's laptop. I wish I never introduced her to Ubuntu and left her on Gnome/XFCE on Debian like I run.
-
I run Debian Sid. Yes it's "unstable" but as long as you check the bug reports you should be just fine. If you want a bit more stability testing doesn't lag by much.

All the packages are up to date. Heck I bet I have some newer packages (with bug fixes) right now than anyone running 11/10.

You don't have to deal with the whole backports crap. 99% of everything is in the main repository. None of this PPA mix'n'match crap.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
You dont have to subscribe to the "New os every 6 months" as ubuntu offers LTS which is support on that version for 3 years.

Im still using 10.04 which gets updated all the time with new kernels and new drivers and software updates. Ubuntu will support it. From their site

Our long-term support (LTS) releases are supported for three years on the desktop. Perfect for organisations that need more stability for larger deployments

Cheers!
I'm running Maverick. There's a STABLE xbmc ppa for this and not for any later versions though I understand you can work around that.
I was on 10.04 and only changed, like you, for support of other features specifically TRIM support on an SSD.
If not for TRIM i would have stuck with 10.04, i know there are backport workarounds for kernel but it was simpler to upgrade to 10.10.
I might jump to 11.10 to gain hw support for a particular DVB tuner but I see this being several hours messing with a command line rather than enjoying xbmc. Incidentally anyone know if the xbmc install is as simple as using the Natty PPA and changing natty to oneiric? I'd rather have a stable xbmc than nightlies.
I realize this post is a bit dated but does anyone have anything current to add as it pertains to Eden? I am looking to make the leap to install Eden over Ubuntu and would like to know if 11.10 is still a recommended (read: stable) build for Eden. Thoughts?
(2012-06-13, 02:10)skeeto2010 Wrote: I realize this post is a bit dated but does anyone have anything current to add as it pertains to Eden? I am looking to make the leap to install Eden over Ubuntu and would like to know if 11.10 is still a recommended (read: stable) build for Eden. Thoughts?

ubuntu 12.04 is a LTS release (no 6 month update) and has eden packaged, unlike any other ubuntu version AFAIK. i wouldn't go for 11.10 as it will be EOL soon.

on a revo 3610 you will have to disable unity though, xbmc standalone session is fine. my MCE remote worked out-of-the-box.

i compiled xbmc 12alpha2 from git for it and that ran well too, so its future-proof in that way.

other than that, there's debian wheezy which also has eden packaged (of course its ubuntu's upstream) which i use as my desktop machine. i also had no problems with fedora14, but not tested on one of the newer fedora's which have gnome-shell.
hello Sej,

I just made the leap to Eden on 12.04 and so far so good with the exception of one thing. I followed this guide:

http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/218-ub...-xbmc-revo

It went off without a hitch but I am having an issue with my Nvidia graphics card (GeForce 8400GS). I upgraded to the latest nvidia drivers but it seems that I can't get 24hz refresh out of the darn thing. Do you know of any way to get this to work?

Thanks,
Rob
(2012-06-13, 20:49)skeeto2010 Wrote: It went off without a hitch but I am having an issue with my Nvidia graphics card (GeForce 8400GS). I upgraded to the latest nvidia drivers but it seems that I can't get 24hz refresh out of the darn thing. Do you know of any way to get this to work?

Are you sure your monitor can handle a 24hz refresh rate? Did you check the EDID data?

Also I can not understand the obsession some people have for the 24hz refresh rate. When using the standard 60hz refresh rate, every second frame of a 24fps movie is delayed by 1/120 of a second, which is about 8ms. If you really can see that, you must have a hell of an eye.

(2012-06-14, 00:37)Temar Wrote:
(2012-06-13, 20:49)skeeto2010 Wrote: It went off without a hitch but I am having an issue with my Nvidia graphics card (GeForce 8400GS). I upgraded to the latest nvidia drivers but it seems that I can't get 24hz refresh out of the darn thing. Do you know of any way to get this to work?

Are you sure your monitor can handle a 24hz refresh rate? Did you check the EDID data?

Also I can not understand the obsession some people have for the 24hz refresh rate. When using the standard 60hz refresh rate, every second frame of a 24fps movie is delayed by 1/120 of a second, which is about 8ms. If you really can see that, you must have a hell of an eye.

It makes a huge difference on pans. And yes, I do have a hell of an eye. Others may not pick up the lines (tearing) but will notice that pans seem significantly smoother when the refresh rate is synced with the video frame rate.

HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
Temar,

Yes I'm sure my monitor can handle 24hz. I have a Revo 1600 with an xbmc install that DOES automatically switch to 24hz and the info box at the corner of the TV changes accordingly to read the new refresh rate.

Plaguester, I had no idea of the difference until i watched a 1080 rip of Gladiator and the camera pan of the battle scene DID look so much smoother! You are right about that. So if I know that the monitor is capable of 24hz, what steps can I take to get my 8400 to display that refresh?

Rob
i used that blog post too, not tried 24hz as i doubt my tv can do it, and don't think i'd notice lol. mine seems to be configured for 55hz but is running at 60hz or vice versa.
(2012-06-14, 02:11)Plaguester Wrote: It makes a huge difference on pans. And yes, I do have a hell of an eye. Others may not pick up the lines (tearing) but will notice that pans seem significantly smoother when the refresh rate is synced with the video frame rate.

Tearing is a totally different problem which of course is notable, but tearing can easily be fixed by turning on vsync.

For the effect to be visible on pans, you'd need a really fast pan. After all, the frame delay is only 1/120 of a second with a 60Hz refresh rate! So for the eye to actually notice it, the camera would have to move at least 1 foot in this 1/120 of a second so you could actually see a wobbling effect. This would equate to a camera movement of 120 foot/s or about 36m/s.

(2012-06-14, 13:24)skeeto2010 Wrote: So if I know that the monitor is capable of 24hz, what steps can I take to get my 8400 to display that refresh?

Turn on verbose/debug mode in X to see which EDID frequencies your monitor announces and which frequencies your card is capable of. The logfile also tells you which modelines got discarded by the X server. If your monitor and your card is capable of 24Hz, you probably just need a modeline entry in your xorg.conf.

If your monitor is capable of 72Hz, you can also use that frequency to get the same effect as when using 24Hz.

Which monitor/tv do you have?

I have a Samsung LN46A LCD TV which I can verify is capable of displaying 24hz as it has worked beautifully with my Revo. It flawlessly switches the display according to content.

On my current build, I just ran the script detailed in this post:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...edsettings

It executed properly and now my codec info will report a refresh rate of 24 hz for 24fps content. The problem is that the video card does not force the display into 24hz and it will sit at 60. This may or may not be causing the now very noticeable judder on-screen that I did not have previously before using the script to modify Xorg.

I am a novice to ubuntu (though a quick learner). What exactly am I missing to get my build to kick the display into 24hz?

Thanks,
Rob
(2012-06-14, 18:33)skeeto2010 Wrote: On my current build, I just ran the script detailed in this post:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...edsettings

This script already enables ModeDebug in xorg.conf. Please upload /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/X11/xorg.conf somewhere, so we can have a look at your configuration. The logfile should tell you if your card is 24hz capable.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Most stable Ubuntu for XBMC?0