New system...
Hey All!

I've been doing quite a bit of research, and have a bit of story and a few questions on what the best options are here. So, right now I have a decent sized library of movies and TV shows - about 1TB at the moment. It's in no sort of order at all... some of the TV shows are bundled into a huge folder called "Season 1" and the file names are similarly sad. Currently, I have a computer running Playon media server and a few 750GB hard drives and use mostly PS3's as my front end.

Lucky for me, I am moving, and the only part of the entire setup I'm bringing with me is the media and one of the PS3s. I'm looking to get everything re-situated into an appropriate option, and I've pretty much settled on XBMC for that. The new house will have Gigabit throughout, with (at the moment) I will need a total of 4 TVs setup and the future to expand up to 7.

My theory at the moment is to attach a drobo to my home network - the Drobo FS with probably 10 TB of storage. My questioning is with what to have on the backend vs the frontend system. I will want sickbeard with SABnzb as well as utorrent and couch potato and (possibly) an HDHomerun system as well attached and the machine managing that.

So, here are my questions for everyone that I haven't been able to come up with a real solid answer on...

1: I know of therenamer and things like that to properly name files - but is there a way to automatically build out the folder structure as well?

2: Given my centralized media server with multiple front ends, is there a way for the metadata to be stored on the server attached in some way to the file, rather than build when the XBMC machine scrapes the library and store it on that machine?

3: In your opinion, would I be better off building a server with storage internal, or using some NAS solution like a drobo to have the media stored someone on a mapped drive?

These are my inital questions... I"m sure I'll get into more.

Thanks so much in advance for reading through this and chipping in any advice that you have... I appreciate it.

Alex
Sorry I cant be of much help. However one utility that helped me move my movie files to correctly named folders was files2folders.
http://skwire.dcmembers.com/wb/pages/sof...folder.php

You may find this useful?
You can sync XBMC with multiple installs: http://lifehacker.com/5634515/how-to-syn...-the-house
I'm not sure if this would work, but I know you can set Sickbeard to monitor a folder where you put recently downloaded TV shows, and place them in the appropriate folders. It might be an interesting test to see if you can add a bunch of shows to sickbeard, define which folders you want them in, and then set sickbeard to looking at your currently ugly folder where all your shows are currently. I honestly have no idea if it would work, but if it does, that'd be pretty sweet.
Ok, so I have another question for everyone... I'm thinking for the Seagate Blackarmor 420 and adding another 2 2TB drives as a NAS.

I want to run the SQL database for the metadata, but I'm wondering does it need to be on the same machine/location as the actual data? I ask because I get a fairly hefty discount on the Blackarmor (I can get it with 4X 2TB drives for under $500 as I work for a seagate business partner) and it's much cheaper than building a dedicated server with a decent RAID card. Can I have a much smaller machine (such as the one with all my other services like sickbeard an the like) run the mySQL database and the media be on the NAS?

Just trying to think outside the box on this one.

Also, for front end, what do you guys think of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856119056 with a 2 gig ram stick and OpenELEC running off an SD card? I have a bunch of 16 gig SDHC cards laying around I could run a lot off of...

Thanks!
I have this miniHTPC and it works very well. Plus, it has an IR port and comes with a decent remote control. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856107081
I have several extra android smartphones lying around that have been decommissioned so I'm going to dock one in each room with a TV (they are all Samsung Fascinates) and use the android app as a remote control... so the remote thing isn't hugely important. I can't justify an extra $65 for a machine so similar (especially when I'm planning on deploying at least 4 right away).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New system...0