[LINUX] Problem starting XBMC on ubuntu 11.10 using script/remote launcher
Hi everybody,

I have a problem with XBMC (pre-eden) running on Ubuntu 11.10 final.
I have a pc that has to fulfill 2 functions: NAS & HTPC. NAS is running always, XBMC only when it is time to watch a movie.

To start XBMC I use remote launcher (http://sf.net/apps/mediawiki/remotelauncher/) on the server/NAS, and the corresponding client (http://market.android.com/details?id...telauncherfree) on my android phone.

This worked perfectly on Ubuntu 11.04 & XBMC pre-eden.

After upgrading my NAS from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 I have problems to start XBMC. Note, when I login to the machine, and just type XBMC. it starts !!

When I start XBMC using the remote launcher I can see that the server application sees my command, and trigger the XBMC application. But it does not start, and I can't figure out why not. There is no info in the 'normal' log files (like syslog, xbmc.log ...)

I know that Ubuntu uses another desktop manager (lightdm) and tried to switch back to gdm. But did not fix the problem.

Does anybody have the same problem ? Or better Wink a solution ?

Thanks in advance
kaayman
Hi.
I'm actually fighting the same battle. I believe lightdm is the the cause. Oneiric deprecated gdm in favor of the much lighter lightdm and it is causing all kinds of hell. Old methods to autostart xbmc (xbmc-live type install with xinit and x11-xserver-utils) aren't working.

I'm reading all I can about this "issue" and, looking into xbmc-live github I can see a lot has changed already to accommodate Oneiric new live-build system. Still, so far, I can't figure it out.

I'll keep in touch if I find a solution.

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Finally. I'm not crazy Wink.

If you can find anything to address this problem, please let us known.
I will keep searching also. Will get back here, when i find something.

thanks hudo
Can't help with using your mobile to start xbmc but you could use 'irexec' if you use 'lirc'

I have
/home/<user>/Scripts/startXBMC.sh (make sure permission is set to 'make file executable' also 'DISPLAY=:0.1' starts xbmc on my TV)
#!/bin/bash

# Test to see if XBMC is running first
if ps -ef|grep -v grep|grep -i xbmc.bin
then
# Do nothing
echo "XBMC already Running!"
else
# Startup XBMC
DISPLAY=:0.1 xbmc &
fi
exit

/home/<user>/.lircrc
(Use irw to get key code for 'button' I use the green MS key to start xbmc)
# Start XBMC
begin
prog = irexec
button = KEY_HOME
config = /home/rick/Scripts/startXBMC.sh
end

You need irexec running

For gnome, xfce etc
Add 'irexec -d' to startup applications

For LXDE
/home/<user>/.config/autostart/IRexec
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name= IRexec
Comment=IRexec for XBMC
Exec=/usr/bin/irexec -d
Terminal=true
hudo Wrote:Hi.
I'm actually fighting the same battle. I believe lightdm is the the cause. Oneiric deprecated gdm in favor of the much lighter lightdm and it is causing all kinds of hell. Old methods to autostart xbmc (xbmc-live type install with xinit and x11-xserver-utils) aren't working.

I'm reading all I can about this "issue" and, looking into xbmc-live github I can see a lot has changed already to accommodate Oneiric new live-build system. Still, so far, I can't figure it out.

I'll keep in touch if I find a solution.

h.udo

Could you just replace lightdm with gdm
Hello everybody,

Today I upgraded all my packages (72), while still using gdm desktop manager.
Afterwards a created a script to start xbmc (I used the following command: DISPLAY=:0 xbmc &), and it worked again. I guess the updates fixed something, because the command was exactly the same as before.

Okay I thought, perhaps it will work with lightdm desktop manager also. This was not the case.

For now i'm using gdm, and my problem is solved (sort of). I still hope this solution will work with lightdm
Hi guys. Has been a while I have been here.
I would like to tell that previous update did fix the problems... once.
Afterwards I still have the same problem.

Can't start xbmc in lightdm o r gdm using the above command.
(2011-11-30, 14:38)kaayman Wrote: Hi guys. Has been a while I have been here.
I would like to tell that previous update did fix the problems... once.
Afterwards I still have the same problem.

Can't start xbmc in lightdm o r gdm using the above command.

Hi!

I realize that it was a really long time ago since you posted this but I only just saw the post... Is this still an issue or has it been solved? I'm mostly using KDM/KDE myself so I haven't seen this issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Problem starting XBMC on ubuntu 11.10 using script/remote launcher0