HTPC need hardware advice
Hello Forum,

I'm new here and need some advice choosing the right hardware.

Expectations
- play HD content (AVCHD, MKV) without stuttering
- play MP3
- audio output via HDMI to TV and via cinch to my hi-fi system (only stereo)
- watching the family pictures
- use it for downloading usenet binaries (concurrent to the other points in this list)
- use Truecrypt containers
- use it for Skype
- can browse the web with acceptable performance
- be quit!
- low power consumption

After reading in this forum and other sources, I think an AMD E-350 or an Atom D525/ION2 system should be fine. I would prefer AMD because it has a bit more power over the Atom and I prefer using Windows 7. Are my thoughts right and will both comply with my expectations? Should I wait for AMD E-450?

I was see the Shuttle XS35GTV2 wich is a fanless D525/ION2 system with the option to mount it via vesa on back of the TV. But it lacks of eSATA and USB3. Is USB2 Ok when it comes to HD content? My TV and the Bluray player are fine with USB2 (no stuttering). The AMD based alternative is for example a ZOTAC ZBOX AD02. It supports eSATA and USB3, I was read Zotac systems are not the most quiet. If I mount them on my TV, could it be too warm in summer?

When I decide to build my own hardware, then I'm thinking to build a combination of HTPC + storage for my media and to backup data from my PC and notebook. It wouldn't be a RAID, just 2-4 hard disks and Windows network shares. Can Atom and Fusion handle this? I think that should be less expensive than a seperate RAID box or NAS. What do you think?

Thank you very much!
Feurich
I'm not going to go as far as making a recommendation.. However E-450 isn't a huge increase over E-350 and I read news today that said the refresh next year again isn't going to be a huge increase.

As for storage needs you shouldn't need to worry about the CPU you choose, anything will do the job.

My concern would be noise and heat. I personally don't think 3.5 inch drives should be used without active cooling (even if it's a very very slow fan it's enough). That means you're going to either have to get a normal midi tower enclosure, or end up with something that you'll have to be careful doesn't end up hot or noisy. I'm sure it could be done though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC need hardware advice0