New to this, advice?
Hi
I am new to both apple TV (got it yesterday) and XBMC (only just used once today on my mac).

I have apple FW 4.4.2 on my apple TV 2 and I am wondering if it is possible to jailbreak and use XBMC on it? I mainly want it for http://flashsportstreams.tv/ and liveonlinefooty.com as they both have apps for XBMC. A lot of my videos are already in Apple TV / iTunes format so that isnt a major issue and not really too bothered about having 1080p or streaming different formats although it would be nice.

So is it possible to do? If so, how?

This tethered thing, does this mean I need to jailbreak it, install XBMC and do all the settings all over again each time it is powered off and back on? Or is it just a case of doing the jailbreak part again to get it to see the XBMC which was installed previously?

I Will be moving it occasionally from my office to the living room, but not much. But saying that, the whole power to my office is shut off at night, so if I have to install everything each time, its a bit of a pain. Please let me know on this as this is my main concern.

Does XBMC work on the new FW? If so, which build / version?

Thanks

Nick
go to http://www.firecore.com and get Sea0nPass - try to JB it and go back to 4.4.3 version.

You could still do it easily yesterday. (but not sure if Apple are still signing the 4.3 build)

If you can't go back to 4.3, you mightl have to wait till Seas0nPass will JB 4.4.2 (if it doesn't work already)
Hi
I don't really want to roll back to 4.3 because I dont want to lose the airplay things.

Does anyone know the answers regarding the Jailbreak when power is turned off etc? Thanks for the reply
If you can JB it at 4.4.2, then follow the thread about 4.4.1 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=112693
- it should be pretty similar.

This is only a tethered JB - so EVERY time you turn your AppleTV off , then you need your PC/MAC to tether boot it. It's a bit of a pain.

Suspend, is not a power off.. but if you have a power cut, or you unplug, or reboot some other way, then you'll need PC to tether boot.
nickc25 Wrote:Hi
I don't really want to roll back to 4.3 because I dont want to lose the airplay things.

Does anyone know the answers regarding the Jailbreak when power is turned off etc? Thanks for the reply

You will have to connect it to a computer to boot it up, but AFAIK you will not have to re-jailbreak, reinstall or anything of that sort.
You only lose AirPlay Mirroring which can only be used with an iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, so if you don't have one of those two devices then you'll be no better off. You can always upgrade later and rejailbreak. The same can't be said for downgrading.
stevellion Wrote:If you can JB it at 4.4.2, then follow the thread about 4.4.1 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=112693
- it should be pretty similar.

This is only a tethered JB - so EVERY time you turn your AppleTV off , then you need your PC/MAC to tether boot it. It's a bit of a pain.

Suspend, is not a power off.. but if you have a power cut, or you unplug, or reboot some other way, then you'll need PC to tether boot.

So just basically connecting to Macbook everytime I boot up just to press a button to boot it into JailBreak mode? Seems less hassle than I thought then. I was worried I would have to jailbreak and config it each time I powered it off which would be every day basically.

The apple TV is right next to my macbook on my desk in my office (I use a 32 inch LED TV as a monitor for my Macbook Pro) so no issues really. Ill give this jailbreak thingy a go then!

Thanks Smile
Ned Scott Wrote:You only lose AirPlay Mirroring which can only be used with an iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, so if you don't have one of those two devices then you'll be no better off. You can always upgrade later and rejailbreak. The same can't be said for downgrading.

I have found myself mirroring my ipad 2 and my iPhone 4s quite a lot so far, especially for TV shows.
nickc25 Wrote:I have found myself mirroring my ipad 2 and my iPhone 4s quite a lot so far, especially for TV shows.

Where are the tv shows from? You know that Atv2 can play them directly if they are on your iTunes. I have found mirroring useful more for games and Skype rather than videos because most video sources either have AirPlay enabled apps or have XBMC plugins.

Also this describes the tethered boot procedure.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

activate Wrote:Where are the tv shows from? You know that Atv2 can play them directly if they are on your iTunes. I have found mirroring useful more for games and Skype rather than videos because most video sources either have AirPlay enabled apps or have XBMC plugins.

Also this describes the tethered boot procedure.
TV Shows are on TV - Live TV

I use airplay mirroring and airplay etc to play them through my apple tv on a tv that is not otherwise connected to show TV shows. Either with bbc iplayer or a few apps on the iPad or tvcatchup.com
nickc25 Wrote:TV Shows are on TV - Live TV

I use airplay mirroring and airplay etc to play them through my apple tv on a tv that is not otherwise connected to show TV shows. Either with bbc iplayer or a few apps on the iPad or tvcatchup.com

Cheers, already seen that guide. THe bit I am stuck on is SeasOnPass automatically downloads an older version of the apple firmware to 4.3 when I already have a 4.4.2 ipsw file which is about 400mb, it doesnt seem to let me use that instead.

Cheers
nickc25 Wrote:Cheers, already seen that guide. THe bit I am stuck on is SeasOnPass automatically downloads an older version of the apple firmware to 4.3 when I already have a 4.4.2 ipsw file which is about 400mb, it doesnt seem to let me use that instead.

Cheers

If you are silly enough to want a tethered jb then shift-click on create ipsw.
g-off Wrote:If you are silly enough to want a tethered jb then shift-click on create ipsw.

Why is that silly? Different people want different things. I want the latest OS options such as iPad mirroring etc and I wouldnt have had that with the older FW. It works fine on the new FW and its not a major hassle plugging in my macbook every time it needs powering off (basically when I move the apple tv to another TV in the house). it takes 30 seconds to do the tether boot too so IMO its nothing really.
I use a media player because I don't want to stuff about with computers and cables when I play something. It stops the wife from throwing it out of the house Laugh

You never know, Apple may have got it right this time and an untethered jb may not be possible. I already have an iphone4 that cannot be unlocked from at&t.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to this, advice?0