What is the best Linux Desktop to use for XBMC?
Lightbulb 
I currently have Windows XP but want to dual boot with Linux and run XBMC on that. Is there a better option available between the different desktop OS versions of Linux to run XBMC?

My goal is to be able to:
  • Install XBMC
  • Run IceFilms Plugin for Linux in XBMC
  • Get JDownloader and use it to download movies and TV Shows from IceFilms

JDownloader will not work with my Windows XP without re-installing the OS so I'm trying to go a different route with Linux.

Right now I was looking at Debian but wasn't sure.

Thanks
If you just want to run XBMC the best option would probably be to install XBMC Live. If you want a desktop to use there are several great options. Mint Linux 11 (based on Ubuntu) is very user friendly, stable and fast. If you'd ask me Ubuntu isn't the best desktop option atm because the Unity interface demands a lot of your machine and is not very user friendly. Kubuntu is a good option too.

I'm running XBMCFreaks Live CD for my dedicated XBMC machine (ION) and Mint Linux 11 on my desktop (24/7).

...if you choose a ubuntu based distribution you'll find all the help and documentation you'll need Smile

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Bram77 Wrote:If you just want to run XBMC the best option would probably be to install XBMC Live. If you want a desktop to use there are several great options. Mint Linux 11 (based on Ubuntu) is very user friendly, stable and fast. If you'd ask me Ubuntu isn't the best desktop option atm because the Unity interface demands a lot of your machine and is not very user friendly. Kubuntu is a good option too.

I'm running XBMCFreaks Live CD for my dedicated XBMC machine (ION) and Mint Linux 11 on my desktop (24/7).

...if you choose a ubuntu based distribution you'll find all the help and documentation you'll need Smile

Sorry if I really sound like an idiot, but I'm very new to this.

I've never heard of XBMC Live...is it strictly for Linux? Would I still be able to download JDownloader and use it for icefilms if I went that route, since you say there wouldn't be a stand-alone desktop?
It's probably easiest to get to know Linux by using a desktop version first. Although I believe you can use JDownloader without a window manager (not sure, I never used it).

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the best Linux Desktop to use for XBMC?0