xbmc and two routers
I recently set my htpc up with two network connections ( one wired and one wireless), the reason is because one connection has an internet connection and the other is for my network storage. The problem I am having is that even though I have the wireless internet connection set up XBMC will not allow me to use it along with the storage network connection. Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting that I missed in XBMC. Please help me Sad
Can you ping all the computers involved from each other?

Is there a reason (other than say gigabit) to run an entire separate networ?
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Try using the wireless router as switch and disable dhcp on it. let the first router handle all dhcp requests. Use a lan to lan cable between the two routers. So no cable in the internet port of the second router. Also set ip of second router manually. I have the same setup, works across the entire netwirk. Sorry aboyut yypos.. Using mobile.
We need a bit more info. Are all the IP addresses in the same subnet, or are they on different subnets. Please open a command prompt and type:

ipconfig /all

and post the output it prints here. That should tell us how your network is configured.

JR
I think there is some confusion here as to what I was asking about.

The problem I am having is that I cannot get xbmc to recognize the Network with the internet connection even though it is a good connection. I do not want to link the routers into the same network because that would require a cable and I cannot run a cable from one to the other so that is out. So you see, my problem is not that I can't get the second router to work its that it does work but xbmc doesn't let me use it.

I am running windows 7 Ultimate with XBMC "dharma"
You came to us for advice, so now you want an argument?
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
Hi Smile

I don't think he's looking for an argument? I think his reply is Perfectly fine, he has clarified what he failed to explain in the first instance and corrected the route in which we were going down...

My query however is that I'm not sure windows can do what he's asking it to do?

I was under the impression that windows was not able to connect to wired network and a WI-FI network on the same subnet simultaneously. I thought they had to be mutually exclusive unless one (the wired one in this case) was setup without a Gateway/DNS/DHCP (static IPs as it has no Internet connection) while the other was setup as normal (albeit on a different subnet).

I could be wrong but that's my understanding, and how I'd go about it (in the once in a blue moon that situation ever crops up) Laugh
i had this issue before , the short answer to the question is not going to work

if you disable the adapter with the nas on the internet will start to work and disable the internet and the nas will work

windows "non sever version" are only design to work with one connection at a time

hope this helps
moviemorris Wrote:i had this issue before , the short answer to the question is not going to work

if you disable the adapter with the nas on the internet will start to work and disable the internet and the nas will work

windows "non sever version" are only design to work with one connection at a time

hope this helps

I'm sure, that if they are on different subnets, and the wired connection (in his case) has no registered gateway/dns and is not trying to assign him an ip by means of DHCP (static ip) then it should be fine (all things being equal) if the other (wireless in his case) is setup pretty much to default settings.

Windows Xp - and 7home premium and up are capable of multiple network connections on different subnets. I previously used 2 wired networks, one for access to the work VPN and the other to access my local network (albiet 2 wired and never over wifi).

It should be possible over wifi but I agree that it will be a total ball ache in doing so... He would be better buying 1 wire and solving all his issues in 1 go Nod
Speaking as someone who has just set up a Microsoft UAG server with six network cards, Windows can use as many NICS as you have space to install. However you need to think about the routing rules to make sure traffic goes the way you want.

@Dragonschild: please post the output from "ipconfig /all". That will tell us how you network adaptors are configured and hopefully pin down the problem.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Speaking as someone who has just set up a Microsoft UAG server with six network cards, Windows can use as many NICS as you have space to install. However you need to think about the routing rules to make sure traffic goes the way you want.

@Dragonschild: please post the output from "ipconfig /all". That will tell us how you network adaptors are configured and hopefully pin down the problem.

JR

I totally agree, without knowing how he has set up his network were all just stabbing In the dark Smile

I'm assuming he's got them both on default and expecting them to work, which won't happen.

That said, there is a big difference between the configuration, capability and setup of a VPN or Proxy server etc, in comparison a windows home PC with 1 nic and a some random wireless card shoved in it Wink
I will post the information that was asked for when I get home from work. I actually have my desktop PC using both the internet router and the nas router (although they are reversed in this case) and it works fine, very strange. I will look into the settings that were brought up about the subnet and other settings.
It can be done with static routes in whatever is your outgoing internet connection router (and possibly supplemental entries on devices behind that wireless network).

Easiest way is to get a new router that support GB ethernet and Wireless-N. I picked up my Cisco for $50 and it's worked beautifully for the last year: http://bit.ly/vVcaEy That would be the #1 easiest way to get everything playing nicely if your current setup doesn't support it.

If you can run your wireless in AP mode, meaning basically it will just piggy-back off the DHCP server running on your wired router, then that would be second best.

The hardest and most complicated would be complicated static routes on each machine over multiple subnets. It could work, but would be a pain to maintain and keep up without the occasional hiccup.
You can always bridge the routers if they're decent, or can have DD-WRT installed...
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
Dragonschild Wrote:I think there is some confusion here as to what I was asking about.

The problem I am having is that I cannot get xbmc to recognize the Network with the internet connection even though it is a good connection. I do not want to link the routers into the same network because that would require a cable and I cannot run a cable from one to the other so that is out. So you see, my problem is not that I can't get the second router to work its that it does work but xbmc doesn't let me use it.

I am running windows 7 Ultimate with XBMC "dharma"

So your wired network, including whatever your file storage is and your HTPC can in at no point be physically wired to your network that has your internet connection? How do you access your file storage to put data on it?

Forgive the blunt nature of this question, but are you accessing the internet from someone else's WiFi network?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc and two routers0