XBMCLive Crash on Startup
Hey everyone, I'm having a very frustrating issue I was hopping someone more experienced might have some insight into. The other night I shutdown my XBMC htpc so that I could unplug it and move some cables around. Everything was shutdown properly. (No hard-shuts w/ software running)

But now today, after plugging everything back in, when I start up the HTPC, XBMC just keeps crashing and restarting. The system boots up fine, bios splash screen, some kind of POST, then the XBMC splashscreen. Then once the the XBMC gui comes up it will run through the 'Scanning for Updates' bar at the top once and then restart XBMC. Straight back to the flash screen and then it all happens again. This will happen until I soft power the machine.

Here's the basic info.

Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS
XBMCLive Dharma, 2.6.32-29-generic
i686 Architecture
(I've tried to get the SVN revision number, but I can't do anything in the gui before XBMC crashes, is there a way to get this from the console?)
Pastbin for one of the many crash logs. They are all pretty much identical but if anyone wants to see the others I would be happy to post them.
Pastbin of xbmc.log
I'm running the MediaStream Redux skin in case that helps at all.

Looking through the log files I posted It seems to me to be something with the ROM collection browser plugin. Which I was playing around with a while ago, though I'm positive I've restarted the system since I changed anything with that addon. I've looked around but couldn't find a way to disable the addon from the command line, is there a way I can edit the xml settings in XBMC to not run that script on startup or something? Or does anyone have any other ideas of where to go with trouble shooting?

Thanks A Lot.
Looks like you tried to launch a game in solo mode on your last RCB usage? Check if there is a file "autoexec.py" in your userdata folder. Delete it completely or remove the line from inside the file that starts RCB. That should at least stop RCB from starting on XBMC startup. Usually RCB deletes or modifies the file itself but as there seems to be an error on RCB startup it does not manage to do this for you.

If this is not true you should also check if you enabled the "scrape on startup" option in RCBs addon settings.

But usually RCB should not restart XBMC in this stage. So there might be another issue on your system.

What version of RCB are you using?
I am running version 0.9.3 of RCB. I tried removing the autoexec python script from the userdata folder, and that didn't change anything. I also delved into the RCB addon settings in the userdata folder I found a settings XML document with a "scrapOnStartUP" variable set to true. I tried setting that to false but the issue is still occuring.
Okay, so heres an update. I managed to get the XBMC to delay its restart long enough for me to uninstall an addon by turning off the NAS server that is hosting the video files for my HTPC, causing the scrapper to hang for a long while before the restart. I went ahead and just uninstalled the RCB addon as well as a few others I had installed but never gotten to work, and the problem persists. So this tells me that a) it had nothing to do with those addons, and b) it seems likely that it has something to do with either the scraper itself or XBMC running some type of check on its databases before the scraper runs.

Unfortunately I don't know nearly enough about the internals of XBMC to figure out where to go from here. Any insight would be appreciated. Here are pastbins of a new xbmc.log and and a crash log. They seem to be mostly the same as before minus the RCB errors, but I can't really make hide nor hair of the errors in those logs. Most of them seem to be relating to something about the skin. Could this be the issue?
Alright, I figured it out. It was related to this issue http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69800 with a password protected rar in one of my libraries causing the system to crash on library update.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCLive Crash on Startup0