XBMC with Openelec - Invalid Drive Selected?
Did somebody try to install OpenELEC for Linux with XMBC on their HD drive? I made a new particition and when I choose its drive letter for installation, program says invalid drive selected??

I saw one explanation on OpenELEC forum but it was not clear enough for me.
Maybe you could point us to those instructions so we could dumb them down.

The OpenELEC installer doesn't use " drive letters" so I'm confused at what you're doing.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
ok, here it is:
http://www.openelec.tv/forum/14-general-...ller-stick

how`s that possible. When you start installstick.bat first that blue open screen wants from you is to enter your usb drive letter, for example "e:"
That doesn't install OpenELEC. That installs the installer for OpenELEC. The reason it won't let you select it because it's not a removable drive (USB).

You boot from the USB drive and then it'll wipe and install OpenELEC on what ever drive you select.
Code:
well, it is a removable USB hard disk drive....what`s the difference?
The difference is all that script does is install the installer and blow away the boot loader. When you do boot from it. All it will have is the OpenELEC installer.
Code:
I understand that, but I meant whats the difference for the installer whether is going to be installed on USB key or in my case USB HD? I can boot system from both of them....why installer don`t recognize my USB HD partition?
mmajstor Wrote:I understand that, but I meant whats the difference for the installer whether is going to be installed on USB key or in my case USB HD? I can boot system from both of them....why installer don`t recognize my USB HD partition?

I would say ask over on openelec forum........Im running it with out a problem, but not from a USB drive
bckane Wrote:.......Im running it with out a problem, but not from a USB drive

I believe he hasnt even installed OP yet.

Correct me if I am wrong.....
I think your trying to use a usb HD instead of a usb "thumb/flash drive".
Usually, usb HD are formatted in NTFS and usb thumb drives are formatted in fat32.
I believe Openelec is looking for a "fat32" formatted device when trying to create the "installerstick".

I do not suggested that you format your usb HD to fat32. I suggest you get a thumb drive or even a SD card with card reader will do.

The install of Openelec is painless. Once you get your thumb drive.
Download the build of openelec that you need.
Unzip it.
Then click on the Windows Batch File called "create_installstick". The process will then ask you for the drive letter of your thumb drive. Example > f:
It will then take about 20 seconds or so for it to create the install stick.
Then safely remove your new Openelec installstick from your pc and put it into the device you will be installing OP on.
Boot that device from the new installstick and follow the onscreen instructions. This will literally take 2 mins or less.
After install remove installstick and reboot. It should boot to xbmc directly in about 10 seconds or less (depends on device).
Then proceed to setting up xbmc to your taste.
Yes you are right, it is usb hard disk drive - not usb flash drive. I have two partitions and since you mentioned that openelec seeks for FAT32 file system, I formatted second one with FAT32 but it didn`t help. When I start create_installstick file and enter correct drive letter (in my example n: ) it says again - invalid drive selected Sad
Try running:

format %DRIVE% /V:OPENELEC /Q /FS:FAT32 /X

And see what it complains about.
Code:
What is the size of that partition?
8gb or higher is going to give you problems, I bet. Also, openelec's installer might have trouble seeing multiple partitions on a single hard.

You could try repartitioning the drive leaving you with a smaller drive, something around 4gb fat32. That MIGHT work, not sure though.
Quote:format %DRIVE% /V:OPENELEC /Q /FS:FAT32 /X

And see what it complains about.
Done. Format OK, but installer - same thing. Partition is only 1GB, so it is not so big.

Quote:Also, openelec's installer might have trouble seeing multiple partitions on a single hard.
I think that this is only conclusion that make sense....
Novel Idea. Why don't you just start copy and pasting stuff from the *.bat into the command window and see where it fails? *bat files aren't the most complicated things in the world.

I'm going to guess since it's not that, that it's failing on installing syslinux because it has a partition. Either way. Just start copy and pasting stuff from the .bat file and see where it fails.
Code:
Well I never did that. To copy each line to command prompt one by one? It is to complicated, it has to many lines.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC with Openelec - Invalid Drive Selected?0