TV shows - multiple episode in video_ts / ISO file
Hi,

I have been searching around for a while to find an answer to my question.
There is a lot to read about it but I couldn't find a useful answer.

I download TV shows as discs. So I will have a ISO file or a video_ts map with a full DVD of the show. I don't want to download all the episodes of all the seasons one at the time.

I'd like XBMC to understand the fact the dvd has several episodes and play them like that. My current setup is:

Downloads/TV series/Two and a Half Men/Season 01/

When I name the map or ISO file like Two and a Half Men S01E01E02E03E04E05E06 it will show the episodes in XBMC but when clicking to play it, it will play the whole DVD. I'd like it to play just the selected episode.

On several pages I've read something about NFO files. I've used ViMediaManager to create NFO files but that didn't change anything to the situation.

Thanks in advance
To the best of my knowledge XBMC can not do what you are asking for. You will have to break them apart into separate episodes and play them that way.
block134 Wrote:To the best of my knowledge XBMC can not do what you are asking for. You will have to break them apart into separate episodes and play them that way.

There's a way to do it but it's not very new user friendly. A nfo file needs to be created that lists all the episodes and the time in seconds that the episode starts using the epbookmark tag. There is, however, no end point so if you load episode 2 it will continue with episode 3 unless you stop it. I personally used Handbrake to break all my DVD's into individual files. Not wanting to get into any legal arguments in the forum but many shows are available as a single download of the entire season in avi format. There's also Sickbeard to automate downloading TV series..use google.

<episodedetails>
<title>Sample TV Show</title>
<season>2</season>
<episode>1</episode>
<plot>the best episode in the world</plot>
<aired>2000-12-31</aired>
<epbookmark>200</epbookmark>
</episodedetails>

<episodedetails>
<season>2</season>
<episode>2</episode>
<plot>the 2nd best episode in the world</plot>
<aired>2001-01-07</aired>
<epbookmark>3200</epbookmark>
</episodedetails>

<episodedetails>
<season>2</season>
<episode>3</episode>
<plot>the 3rd best episode in the world</plot>
<aired>2001-01-14</aired>
<epbookmark>6400</epbookmark>
</episodedetails>

<episodedetails>
<season>2</season>
<episode>4</episode>
<plot>the 4th best episode in the world</plot>
<aired>2001-01-21</aired>
<epbookmark>9800</epbookmark>
</episodedetails>
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
Thank you Dobyken.
That was a very useful answer.

I will check for sickbeard and handbreak.
Thank you!
I, too, wanted to keep DVD rips of TV shows in IFO or ISO format. However, after I thought about it for a while, I realized the problem: how do you know which VOB (or worse, set of VOBs) is which episode? I have run into this problem before (converting VOB to mpeg for upload to my Tivo). Sometimes, it is obvious and sometimes not. For movie (feature film) DVDs, I assume that the XBMC DVD player simply picks the longest title set in the DVD and assumes that it is the "movie". This won't work with TV shows. Often there is a title set that contains all the episodes on the discs as a single, long file. This could be used with the "time code" solution above but it still not optimal. I think the answer lies in a custom nfo file that describes each and every episode and which VOB contains it. This does not exist as of today (at least I don't think it does).

Comments?
Current Kodi: 20.2, Mariadb 10.2 running on Unraid server.
This is something that I encountered when I was getting ready for XBMC as I too prefer to retain full DVD capabilities when I rip and playback (menus, special features, director's commentary etc).

I would like to take a few minutes to jot down the process I went through, and why I went down the path I did.

I did some research, mostly trial and error stuff, and realised I couldn't have everything I wanted, so I had to choose;

1. Correctly identified episodes by XBMC - check
2. Ability to play episodes - check
3. Keep DVD structure (and hence menus, extras etc) - check
4. Be able to do all of this plus when I click on an episode it just goes straight there - nope

As far as point 4 goes I am not sure how I can have that plus the first three. I would imagine it would only be possible if there was a container (like .avi or .mkv) that not only allowed you to maintain the DVD menu structure, but also contained alternate audio tracks and subtitles.

This is how I did it (not much difference in our naming structure, cassperr, at least how XBMC reads it);

TV Shows/Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Season 1/1x01.1x02.1x03.1x04.iso -this is the first disc
TV Shows/Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Season 1/1x05.1x06.1x07.1x08.iso -this is the second disc
etc

XBMC then lists this as;

TV Shows/Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Season 1/01 Welcome to the Hellmouth (1)
TV Shows/Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Season 1/02 The Harvest (2)
TV Shows/Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Season 1/03 The Witch
etc

This is different to how I used to rip my movies and TV shows for the PS3 (my previous media player) because the PS3 had various limitations that meant it was easier to rip the main content and sacrifice the 'extras' I mentioned earlier.

This was especially challenging when I encountered movies that were split on the DVD, or TV shows that didn't have the episodes in order (but would correctly play in order on the actual DVD - I suspect this was something done to thwart would-be pirates).

Scrubs, for example, used to cut the last few minutes off an episode and put it in a different .vob - this made for some interesting evenings when all I had were about 12 different files for 6 episodes and I had to work out which one matched which. This was back in the PS3 days, were all I had were .avi files - it worked well for the most part, but it wasn't as good as I wanted.

However, as you have probably already discovered, selecting any of the first four episodes will play the 1x01.1x02.1x03.1x04.iso file (ie, no matter which you select it performs the same task), and possibly even more frustrating is the fact that it will list all four episodes as being watched even if you haven't actually watched them all!

Something you mention, CaptainTivo, got me thinking;
CaptainTivo Wrote:I, too, wanted to keep DVD rips of TV shows in IFO or ISO format. However, after I thought about it for a while, I realized the problem: how do you know which VOB (or worse, set of VOBs) is which episode? I have run into this problem before (converting VOB to mpeg for upload to my Tivo). Sometimes, it is obvious and sometimes not. For movie (feature film) DVDs, I assume that the XBMC DVD player simply picks the longest title set in the DVD and assumes that it is the "movie". This won't work with TV shows. Often there is a title set that contains all the episodes on the discs as a single, long file. This could be used with the "time code" solution above but it still not optimal. I think the answer lies in a custom nfo file that describes each and every episode and which VOB contains it. This does not exist as of today (at least I don't think it does).

Comments?

This is exactly the issue I had originally with some TV shows (other TV show DVDs ripped perfectly, but not all).

If it were just a case of XBMC looking for the largest/longest title and playing that (in the case of movies here, obviously this kind of procedure would not work for TV shows), then how would it know how to deal with DVDs that have intentionally split titles? Or extras or commentary for that matter? My understanding is that XBMC (in the case of full movie DVD rips) looks for the main menu title (that splash screen where you have your options on most DVDs to play movie, or go to deleted scenes, or outtakes etc) and in doing so skips the FBI warnings etc.

Actually, now that my train of thought is going along these lines; how would XBMC be able to know if you did want commentary when you clicked play, instead of the actual soundtrack to the movie. If you went back to extracting .avi or .mkv then you might need to have one file for normal soundtrack, and another for the commentary soundtrack. I don't know about anyone else but my storage space is kind of at a premium (especially with the crazy prices we have been seeing on HDD lately).

Perhaps the only way of satisfying everything (with no compromises anywhere) could be if XBMC, upon selecting a .vob or .iso, could 'read' the options and ask you which way you wanted to go.

For example;
You - play 'x-men'
XBMC - do you want the extended version?
You - yes
XBMC - would you like director's commentary?
You - no
XBMC - would you like to watch any deleted scenes or outtakes afterwards?
You - yes

But then again what are you really saving by having XBMC ask you about these things when you can just select them when the splash screen comes up? Might be easier once we have mind-control computers Cool

But I think I am starting to get a little long-winded here so I will sign off by saying that I dream of a time when all digital media is accessible by everyone, everywhere. All you have to do is turn it on, and tell it what you want to watch and it will stream it. No more thousands (millions?) of copies of movies and TV shows - all of it is available. I don't know how to do it, but boy am I jealous of those people in the future who might have it Nod
I know that this thread is several months old, but I wanted to chime in a bit. I'm an XBMC guy (Openelec variant) and my buddy is a long time WMC/My Movies user. We both use our systems for the same thing: rips of movies and TV series from our vast DVD and Blu-ray collections.

For 90% of what we do, XBMC blows the WMC/My Movies combo out of the water. The exception is TV series rips as described in this thread. With his setup, all he has to do is rip the entire disc to his drive and add it to his My Movies database. Then in his WMC UI, he can select the show, season and episode (and even extras) and WMC jumps right to them and plays them. It's the most elegant and simple solution I've ever seen. My process for XBMC is infinitely more complex and time consuming; and that's true even with me having scripted large parts of the process to occur automatically.

The only way the My Movies process could work the way it does is with proper metadata about where each episode starts and finishes on the discs, so this important information IS out there. I'm going to be spending some time over the next few weeks to see if I can figure out a way make this work in XBMC. I'm happy to pay MyMovies for access to their data if needed, but I'm not sure if they're willing to make it available to a competing media consumption solution and I certainly am not going to do anything unethical or illegal to obtain it.

If anything comes of my investigation, I'll be sure to share what I find out.
Well, that was easy enough to learn about:

Tutorial link at the bottom of the page:
http://www.mymovies.dk/products/my-movie...ation.aspx

This data is available via the API. There may be some issues, though. It's all hunky dory for DVDs, but for Blu-rays it may be a bit mroe complicated. While the My Movies collection management does support mapping episodes to specific Titles/Chapters in Blu-Rays, it doesn't support immediate playback of those episodes because, at least under WMC, there are no Blu-Ray players that support the ability jump to specific chapters like that (at least that's the rationale expressed by the devs on their forums). Does XBMC support this kind of navigation? if it does, then this would be a moot point for XBMC ecosystem.

My Movies even has an XBMC plugin that allows access to their API. The API access isn't free, but it seems pretty reasonable.
So now we know how "My Movies" maps the TV episodes to Titles on a DVD -- manually. OK. And the API would let an XBMC plugin read this database. Now we need a media source type in XBMC which can use the information to "jump" to a particular title on a particular DVD when a particular episode is selected. Question for someone familiar with the code: can this be dont in a plugin or does this require code addition/modification?
Current Kodi: 20.2, Mariadb 10.2 running on Unraid server.
(2012-05-25, 18:03)Watter Wrote: My Movies even has an XBMC plugin that allows access to their API. The API access isn't free, but it seems pretty reasonable.

The My Movies.dk scraper (Not actually a scraper it uses their API access to directly read their database) currently only supports Movie titles, not TV Series metadata in XBMC.

You are right however My Movies blows XBMC out of the water with the TV Series DVD VIDEO_TS and being able to select a certain episode and it just plays that episode.

I would be happy if I could do what the OP can lol, when I add a TV Show in to the XBMC TV Show Library I am unable to play it, if is a DVD VIDEO_TS rip.

It does this by mapping what titles on the DVD disc are for which episodes? This data has to be manually added the first time by users of their system but after that contribution anyone with the same TV Series on DVD benefits from that title data.

You can see how they do this in the tutorial video here

"For TV Series on DVD to be displayed correctly in the tv series library, the episodes of the DVD must be mapped to the title and chapter structure of the disc. In this video, you will see how to map the episodes of the disc to the structure, by using the Collection Management program and Windows Media Player, allowing the DVD to be supported for the TV Series functionality."
(2011-12-10, 15:15)cassperr Wrote: Hi,

I have been searching around for a while to find an answer to my question.
There is a lot to read about it but I couldn't find a useful answer.

I download TV shows as discs. So I will have a ISO file or a video_ts map with a full DVD of the show. I don't want to download all the episodes of all the seasons one at the time.

I'd like XBMC to understand the fact the dvd has several episodes and play them like that. My current setup is:

Downloads/TV series/Two and a Half Men/Season 01/

When I name the map or ISO file like Two and a Half Men S01E01E02E03E04E05E06 it will show the episodes in XBMC but when clicking to play it, it will play the whole DVD. I'd like it to play just the selected episode.

On several pages I've read something about NFO files. I've used ViMediaManager to create NFO files but that didn't change anything to the situation.

Thanks in advance

Does doing this only work for TV Shows DVD rips that are .ISO images ? Or can I do this for VIDEO_TS rips?

Thanks
You can do it for both, but it's a bit hackier for VIDEO_TS rips - essentially you have to have a regexp that allows searching in the foldername and name the folder containing the VIDEO_TS accordingly.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-02-14, 22:03)jmarshall Wrote: You can do it for both, but it's a bit hackier for VIDEO_TS rips - essentially you have to have a regexp that allows searching in the foldername and name the folder containing the VIDEO_TS accordingly.

Thanks for the reply, can you give me an example? I'm not sure what regexp is.
Nope, but I can point you to the wiki that has this example:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...file_names

And googling for "VIDEO_TS regexp xbmc" yields:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...3pid803992

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

OK many thanks I will look in to it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV shows - multiple episode in video_ts / ISO file0