Using Mac Mini OSX 10.5.8 as server for Windows 7
Salutations! I have an old Mac Mini running Leopard and I'd like to use it as a media server for my Windows 7 machine. What would be the best way of doing this? I have XBMC on both my Mini and the Windows 7 computer.
Big Grin 
Easiest and quickest method is to share via a file share protocol called SMB which is really easy to set up reasonably quick and should suffice all your needs! Fortunatly both Operating Systems have this package baked right in - Laugh

To activate this in OSX(mac)
Click "the apple logo" present in the top right of your desktop screen
Click "System Preferences..."
Under the "Internet & Wireless" Row - Click on the Sharing option represented by a person walking symbol in front of a folder...
Tick the "File Sharing" box

You now have enabled basic file sharing rights (afp protocol) to switch to SMB and ensure your windows pc can reach it we must enable SMB protocol.

from the "File Sharing" option we selected a moment ago select the "Options..." button that will appear on selection of menu item, (File sharing), it will be present on the right hand side :hint:
[ From this side menu you can also select the files/folders you would like to share with the "+" button at the bottom of each column and even determine permissions! ]

This will open a pop-up menu...

From here you may untick share via AFP and tick Share via SMB
Make sure to check the relevant users you would like to grant access for! You MUST know their credentials when accessing your mac!

On your windows computer select Network and let it scan (PLEASE: ensure that network file sharing from the connection centre or whatever it's called now is enabled or this will not work)...Your mac should now present itself and you should be able to...using your credentials to the mac...be able to access all the files shared!
I'd be very tempted to sell it and buy a real NAS with the proceeds. How much storage do you have in it?
I've been having trouble getting my windows computer to connect with my Mac. I read something about higher bit encryption with Windows 7 64-bit, does anybody know if that is the problem? I'm able to connect my mini to windows and send files to be copied over, but I'd really just like to have the folders viewable from my Windows computer. Windows isn't able to connect to my Apple for some reason. I've search online for guides and followed them, but still have no luck. Also I tried what was mentioned above and still no luck.

I think ultimately I'd like to get a NAS when the price of hard drives go back down. Right now I have a 2 terabyte external hard drive connected to my mini which is enough storage for the moment. I'd connect it to my windows computer but it formatted in a way which it won't work if I plug it into my Windows computer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using Mac Mini OSX 10.5.8 as server for Windows 70