• 1(current)
New OSD in development
i'm starting to write a new osd in xbmc, i've seen from many posts over a long period of time many of you have particular thoughts on what a good osd should do.

please post here with what you think would make a good osd and any features/ideas/suggestions you have.

cheers!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

- i would prefer an 'info-icon' in osd for film-infos instead of a seperate text on the 'info-button'.

- one osd with all infos and parameters would be the best.

- it would be nice to have features like ff/rw and pause in osd too.

- are png graphics impossible ?
png's are more flexible (transparency).
coolness Smile

when using select key on dvd remote:
- a panel like in xbmp (or wmp) sliding up from below. hide/reveal with select key and auto-hide after xx sec. stretches video.
- play/pause, ff/rw, stop volume and mute buttons (slowmo button?).
- progress bar.
- current time/total time.
- skinnable

**edit: if prioritised i'd rate the above higher than the below.

when using info button on dvd remote
- like current xbmc minus the % progress as it would be in the sliding control bar
- extra page with codec and other such info which is available through using info key today (onkel bouncys idea). this page could also show name of current playing file.
- skinnable
my first list of thoughts. nothing new really but it's a start.

/floink
nice forza
what i would like is:

- seperate keybindings for the osd
(now its shared with the default for guiwindowfullscreen)

- ff / rw / pause / play
- volume control & mute
- more graphical layout

and support for changing various settings like the current osd has
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
what if we had 2 different osd´s
one basic with basicly just play/pause, volume/mute,
ff/rw that pops up from bottom and only takes up a corner.
this possibly automaticly popup when pressing pause?
or controlling volume with up and down buttons?

and a advanced that has all the features much like xbmp? with
a progressbar and all those function´s?
i dont like the idea of 2 osd's, i prefer to have 1
and think one of the most important things is that the
osd has a seperate section in keymap.xml
its now sharing the keys with the fullscreen video window
which is bad (and my fault)
frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
i agree, one osd which does it all is my prefered choice. it's my intention to make it fully skinable so people can take out what they don't want.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

please make sure it's (simple) menu based and it doesn't clutter up the screen for more advanced options other then progress and play options like pause etc.
maybe you can do something like:
hit info button once: shows most important things like current play time, movie length, movie infos, current subtitle/audiostream ...
hit again while this ino is on the screen: open the osd to adjust all these things.

just my 2 cents.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
maybe one osd where:
1st 'page' is the simple control bar at bottom where basic stuff goes in (play/pause, ff/rw, volume/mute). user can perform the basic things and then leave osd if desired. also it contains buttons, or tabs if you like, to the other pages
2nd page is maybe a more advanced (larger?) version of page 1 for filter and delay settings and such. don't know but i think audio+video settings could be one page.
3rd page subtitle settings
4th codecs fps cache info

i'd happily do some kind of images to examplify ideas, mine or others?

some side notes: i really like the way delay settings was handeled in xbmp where osd didn't have to be involved to achieve it. badly synced subs and audio/video out of sync is the biggest problem for me when watching movies. maybe this could be done in both "guiwindowfullscreen" and osd?
in xbmp volume wasn't possible to control with the dvd remote. so obviously i'd like that too Smile
Question 
forza, as long as i can edit what the button look like, and manually place them on the screen like you can with xbmc gui. thats all that matters.

what im saying is, make it so i can customze it, move the button around a bit, and whatever extra you want to throw at us.

but for now just get an osd up, im tired of messing with the joystick (guess what this button does! opps!Wink.
reading must be magical or something, it's how i find all da anwsers!
------
Ubuntu 8.10 (64bit) | AMD Sempron 2600+ | ATi 2400HD Pro | Asus AE1 Barebone ---- Ubuntu 9.04RC (64bit) | AMD 5000+ | BIOSTAR TA790GX XE w/ ATi 3300
oh boy did i stirr up a hornets nest Smile
if it is fully skinnable then there really isnt a issue.
but what i meant was something like that hullebulle described..

/bhellium
p.s great progress on the project latly just wanna say thanx, thou
i cant compile it since im on a mac
1.[osd hiding] osd like fast forward rewind stay on screen all the time which i like to hide in some cases while the action is being done.

2.[osd positioning] with the audio synch i'd like it brought down on screen because most of the time while trying to synch i check audio with the mouth articulation and the avdelay bar position makes this a bit more difficult.
sometimes with letterboxed films i use my tv's screen adjustment where the outer edges aren't visible and would like to reposition some of the osd more to the middle
i'd change the position of most osd which resides in the top to the bottom because most informational stuff like in documentaires or with subtitling are done in the bottom. so this would be more naturally for most people. i also think the faces of people tend to take up the upper halve of the screen.
(bhellium @ jan. 31 2004,15:44 Wrote:one basic with basicly just play/pause, volume/mute, ff/rw that pops up from bottom and only takes up a corner.
that is what a control panel is for, like the control panel in xbmp. it's great for people who only use the xbox game-pads. i would prefer to see separate osd and control-panel (like in xbmp), so no need(clogging up) for osd to have ff/rw/pause/mute,etc.
how about a semi-transparent background to the osd? and for it to look more professional and clean icon-based appearance like a stand-alone dvd player. i can post an example of my toshiba dvd player which i think looks very good and versitial for skins.
also in the video, how about instead of stretch (or along with) an aspect ratio feature is added to stretch the image to 4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1, default, etc. (make it stretch the the ar in proportion to the calibrated screen dimensions and calibrated ar (so 540x480 calibrated screen setting at 4:3 will stretch the image to 540x480 when 4:3 is selected, and 540x304 centered for 16:9, etc. this would compensate for bad encoding and allow people to set the correct ar. if you think it's a good idea (i do :d) then zoom player (windows) does this very well.)

i'll post a screen capture (via capture card so you'll have to excuse the quality) of my toshiba's osd to show you later on.

morien
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New OSD in development0