Can someone explain to me why Scrapping is so difficult?
Hi!

First of all XBMC is awesome and they people contributing are just as awesome! XBMC has given me a whole media system and all I needed to buy was a HDMI cable from comp to TV. THANKS! =)

That said I am curious to find out why the scrapper is having such a hard time detecting titles?

Usually it gets things right (50% of the times for me) but when you add something that is not your standard blockbuster movie it seems to me that the XBMC scrapper just does alot of random gueswork.

For example I added some Tintin episodes and XBMC figured this was some teen musical Ive never heard of.

The scrapper could just ask the user whatever it has detected when in doubt. XBMC could offer a few suggestions and ask if any of them are correct and otherwise provide a way to manually search or type in some imdb id or something.
I would say that setting "Tintin" as a tv show will give you better results.
you could also refresh the movies with bad results, it might ask you to choose when in doubt (one movie at a time).
Give some details on your media naming scheme and directory layout and people might be able to give some pointers for your setup to get scraping much more accurate.

For movies, have your media named with movie title and release year. That can help quite a bit.

For TV shows... make sure the name matches what is at thetvdb.org (if that's what you are using for a scraper).

XBMC doesn't "figure" out what your shows are, the site you are using to scrape does and the scraper needs your help to make sure you get accurate scraping.
A quick search on thetvdb (which is what xbmc does), shows there isn't a tv show on thetvdb called "tintin".
http://www.thetvdb.com/?string=tintin&se...ion=Search

Which one is it:
Adventures of Tintin
The Adventures of Tintin
Travelling with Tintin

So just to recap, stuff has to be named correctly.

Happy scraping! (not scrapping - spelling pet peave of mine Smile)

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
stormfrog Wrote:Hi!

First of all XBMC is awesome and they people contributing are just as awesome! XBMC has given me a whole media system and all I needed to buy was a HDMI cable from comp to TV. THANKS! =)

That said I am curious to find out why the scrapper is having such a hard time detecting titles?

Usually it gets things right (50% of the times for me) but when you add something that is not your standard blockbuster movie it seems to me that the XBMC scrapper just does alot of random gueswork.

For example I added some Tintin episodes and XBMC figured this was some teen musical Ive never heard of.

The scrapper could just ask the user whatever it has detected when in doubt. XBMC could offer a few suggestions and ask if any of them are correct and otherwise provide a way to manually search or type in some imdb id or something.

Why not give one of the 3rd part programs to find and scrap for you? I have been using one and its way better and easier for me.

They are in the Supplemental Tools for XBMC forum.

Yeah:

Movies : Ember Media Manager

Music : MP3Tag or something like that

XBMC : TV shows except for fanart which i do manually

I prefer to have the actual files in my media folders Nod
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
A ton of TV shows/movies exist. Tons of people, who can make mistakes/disagree on titles/use alternative titles, enter all the scraping data. Tons of people make insanely stupid file names for videos. There's no way to enforce any kind of standard to naming in files, actual TV shows/movies, and scraping.

With the massive number of variables out there you really should be asking "how come scraping isn't more difficult?"
Thanks everyone! Lots of helpful answers, great community =)

I tried the ember media manager, but got "error in xml document" on install. But I guess there are others to try.

My largest problem with scraping is that it tends to crash XBMC quite frequently (this is the wrong category so its off-topic). It seems to be more stable when I run XBMC on my primary screen for some reason :}
stormfrog Wrote:...My largest problem with scraping is that it tends to crash XBMC quite frequently (this is the wrong category so its off-topic). It seems to be more stable when I run XBMC on my primary screen for some reason :}

You should not be crashing when you scrape for movies. There must be a bigger issue. Start a debug log and try scraping and when it crashes, post that up for someone here to help you.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116941

Try that one.

Works perfect for me.
I let sickbeard/couchpotato handle all my naming for me and it hasn't misnamed anything in more than 6 months now aside from a handful of multi-episode (IE S01E01-02.avi) filenames I've had to manually correct.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can someone explain to me why Scrapping is so difficult?0