What is the best silent but active psu for htpc that can power g620 and gf430?
What is the best silent but active psu for htpc that can power g620 and gf430?

Im building silent htpc that have intel g620 and nvidia gf430. although there are silent fanless psu (seasonic fanless 400w), going fanless is dangerous especially to people like my parents and grandparents(who knows nothing about pc).

from psu calculator, recommended power is 300w.

any recommendation for silent active 300w psu?

thanks.
ANTEC NEO ECO series or SEASONIC.

120mm fans FTW!
ANTEC NEO ECO .... get the 400watt
thank you.
my brother bought a NEO ECO 2 months ago and,
honestly, i cant seem to hear it at all unless i stick my ears on it.

NEO ECO FTW!!
Yes same here.... I have to stick my ear close to it to hear it!
cant go wrong with NEO ECO's, FTW!
publicENEMY Wrote:What is the best silent but active psu for htpc that can power g620 and gf430?

Im building silent htpc that have intel g620 and nvidia gf430. although there are silent fanless psu (seasonic fanless 400w), going fanless is dangerous especially to people like my parents and grandparents(who knows nothing about pc).

from psu calculator, recommended power is 300w.

any recommendation for silent active 300w psu?

thanks.

I don't know what other components you are going to use besides an Intel Pentium G620 and a GeForce GT430, but those two (including mainboard etc) consume very little by itself.

I absolutely do not have the most power efficient system, but there is a GT430 in there. This is what I have:

-Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H
-AMD Athlon II X2 245e
-Fanless (sparkle) Geforce GT430
-4 Gigabytes of cheap kingston memory
-Cheap SSD

Although the Athlon II 245e is rated at 45W and the G620 at 65W, in practice the G620 is probably more power efficient than the 245e.

Anyway, my system almost *never* consumes more than 70W (and yes, I know that today it can be quite some more power efficient). During startup there is a spike of a few seconds of about 90W. But in xbmc itself power consumption is:

Full bluray (one with highest bitrate chosen), ~70W:

Typical 720p mkv, ~55W:

None hw-accelerated stuff is about 60W.

So all-in-all a typical system, such as you are planning to build, isn't probably even gonna consume 70W at full load. You mentioned "going fanless is dangerous". But if you search for some reviews on fanless power supplies, you will find that a Seasonic X-400 -for example- almost can function as a refrigerator with such low loads:

source

Probably even a 120W picoPSU might be enough.
-EaS- Wrote:Probably even a 120W picoPSU might be enough.

+1

I have a 150w picoPSU (but only a 102w AC adapter) in my HTPC right now with a G620 and a HD5450. During normal use my rig never draws more than 50w and I have a dual tuner and a 1TB media drive in there as well. Obviously a GT430 will draw a more power than my card (like maybe 25-30w more at full load) but I see no reason why it would not work with a 120w picoPSU and adapter. If you wanted to be a little conservative you could get a 150w picoPSU and adapter. I'd bet money that you'd have no problem with that setup.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
agree, 150w picoPSU and 150W adapter is peace of mind
eskro Wrote:agree, 150w picoPSU and 150W adapter is peace of mind

CPU- intel celeron G620
MOBO- h61 m Asrock

Case- milo Mlo3B silver stone

regarding the power though, which power source should I get.

power- Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D
( this is over kill I think) any ideas??

ANTEC NEO ECO 400w? again too much??
will it even fit in the case?

I will not be doing any serious games with it, might play the odd game on low resolution, but will be streaming, and be playing MOVIES of the highest quality this little beast can out put.
most media stored on NAS., current releases stored on OS HDD

you guys are talking about the 150w picoPSU and 150W adapter.
I looked it up, cause I had never heard of it, doesn't even look like a power source. so you think this is the best solution for quiet htpc?
you recommend this over the NEO?
the pico is double in price where I live.. so to me that's not the best option if it's not really important.
suggested PSU for that silverstone ML03B case
is in my HTPC guide
-EaS- Wrote:I don't know what other components you are going to use besides an Intel Pentium G620 and a GeForce GT430, but those two (including mainboard etc) consume very little by itself.

I absolutely do not have the most power efficient system, but there is a GT430 in there. This is what I have:

-Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H
-AMD Athlon II X2 245e
-Fanless (sparkle) Geforce GT430
-4 Gigabytes of cheap kingston memory
-Cheap SSD

Although the Athlon II 245e is rated at 45W and the G620 at 65W, in practice the G620 is probably more power efficient than the 245e.

Anyway, my system almost *never* consumes more than 70W (and yes, I know that today it can be quite some more power efficient). During startup there is a spike of a few seconds of about 90W. But in xbmc itself power consumption is:

Full bluray (one with highest bitrate chosen), ~70W:

Typical 720p mkv, ~55W:

None hw-accelerated stuff is about 60W.

So all-in-all a typical system, such as you are planning to build, isn't probably even gonna consume 70W at full load. You mentioned "going fanless is dangerous". But if you search for some reviews on fanless power supplies, you will find that a Seasonic X-400 -for example- almost can function as a refrigerator with such low loads:

source

Probably even a 120W picoPSU might be enough.

thank you. appreciate it.
eskro Wrote:suggested PSU for that silverstone ML03B case
is in my HTPC guide

you only listed the case but no psu . or did I not see it?

thanks.
[PSU] SeaSonic SS-400ET 80+ Bronze 400W ATX12V ($43 + $9)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the best silent but active psu for htpc that can power g620 and gf430?0