XBMC and Intel VAAPI: MPEG4 Color distortions
Hi folks!
I have serious picture distortions with XBMC using VAAPI (on Intel) and MPEG4 material, i.e. xvid, divx, etc. H.264 encoded files are working fine. I attached two pictures that illustrate this issue.

My system:
  • Intel i3 Graphics (first generation, Ironlake)
  • Ubuntu 11.10 x64 with unity (Kernel 3.0.0-14)
  • XBMC 11.0-PRE Git:20120105-a95ff30 (Compiled : Jan 5 2012)
  • Xorg-edgers ppa for xorg and intel driver stuff
  • FFMPEG(git of 01/05/12) for external FFMPEG compilation

What I tried by now:
  • Tested other playback software (xine with vaapi, mplayer with vaapi): Works fine!
  • Disabled VAAPI support in XBMC: Works fine, but obviously no hw acceleration
  • Compiled xbmc with external ffmpeg: Same problem.
  • Tried other XBMC branches: Same problem.

The described problem exists after the dist-upgrade to 11.10 and I am trying to identify the problem for 3 month now, without success. Weird: XBMC does not use hw acceleration for MPEG4 files.
I followed the following great tutorials to set up XBMC with VAAPI:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96669
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114368

Does anyone have clue what is going wrong here?

Cheers!
Chris

Sample Images:
ImageImage

Debug Output when playing the file:
http://pastebin.com/cM4ftACT
First of all please note that you are NOT using vaapi to deceode this file. It is not supporting mpeg4 avi files at the moment.

Code:
23:28:25 T:140714415056640   DEBUG: VAAPI - unable to find a suitable profile
23:28:25 T:140714415056640   DEBUG: VAAPI - destroying display 0x3d48740
23:28:25 T:140714415056640   DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Video: ff-mpeg4 - Opened

It is using software ff-mpeg4 for decoding.

Your problem is in updated mesa. I guess you are using mesa 7.12-devel. Just check with

Code:
glxinfo |grep version

It is a known problem already reported to mesa glsl developers. The bugreport is here. I already found the problematic commit in the code. Hopefully they will revert it.

Until that, please use mesa 7.11. Use ppapurge for xorg edgers:

Code:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers
sudo reboot

Edit:

Please do not combine my guides as it could cause problems like this. My old guide is outdated as I noted it in the first post. Only use my NEW guide on a CLEAN system. I will always update there the latest stuff to use. Xorg edgers is not the stuff you want to use at the moment.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thumbs Up 
Hi Alan!

First of all thank you very much for your answer and narrowing down the problem to the problematic commits in mesa 7.12.

Quote: First of all please note that you are NOT using vaapi to deceode this file. It is not supporting mpeg4 avi files at the moment.

Code:

23:28:25 T:140714415056640 DEBUG: VAAPI - unable to find a suitable profile
23:28:25 T:140714415056640 DEBUG: VAAPI - destroying display 0x3d48740
23:28:25 T:140714415056640 DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Video: ff-mpeg4 - Opened

It is using software ff-mpeg4 for decoding.

I noticed that but I made a error in reasoning and mixed up MPEG4 and MPEG2 decoding. Of cource MPEG4 is not supported. Thanks for pointing :-)

Quote:Please do not combine my guides as it could cause problems like this. My old guide is outdated as I noted it in the first post. Only use my NEW guide on a CLEAN system. I will always update there the latest stuff to use. Xorg edgers is not the stuff you want to use at the moment.

Actually I am not combining. Your great tutorials just give me an overview and a thread to hold on to. I needed the edgers ppa for my xine-lib-vaapi experiments (using vdr+xine) which is working pretty fine so far.

Thanks again for pointing at mesa 7.12-devel
Flachzange Wrote:Actually I am not combining. Your great tutorials just give me an overview and a thread to hold on to. I needed the edgers ppa for my xine-lib-vaapi experiments (using vdr+xine) which is working pretty fine so far.

Thanks again for pointing at mesa 7.12-devel

Ah, ok I understand.

If you really need mesa 7.12, please update your system with the xorg edgers, than, you can compile the latest mesa from git, patched with my patch.
Code:
glxinfo |grep version  # to check the xorg edgers version

sudo apt-get build-dep mesa-common-dev
sudo apt-get install flex build-essential
git clone git://git.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/mesa
cd mesa
./configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=\${prefix}/share/man --infodir=\${prefix}/share/info --sysconfdir=/etc --libdir=\${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --localstatedir=/var --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --with-dri-drivers=i915,i965 --with-gallium-drivers=
wget http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=cLpMCXwg -O ./color_corrupt.patch
patch -p1 < ./color_corrupt.patch
make
sudo make install

glxinfo |grep version  # to check if the version changed to latest git

Hope it works. Let me know, cheers Alan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Hehe, that's what I tried and I thought I could already present some success news.

Unfortunately it didn't worked. But looking now at your configure options I noticed my mistake. I installed mesa into the wrong libdir.

And now it works! Thanks again!
Flachzange Wrote:But looking now at your configure options I noticed my mistake. I installed mesa into the wrong libdir.

And now it works! Thanks again!

:-)

Yepp, that was a tricky thing for me to work it out. It has to be in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu dir on the 64 bit Ubuntu, unless the system does not find it.
This fix works here too, ASUS G35 HDMI. Cheers,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and Intel VAAPI: MPEG4 Color distortions0