Lowest TDP Mini-ITX build that can play 1080P?
I am trying to decide on a future mini-itx build, but I am trying to get the lowest TDP possible (preferably under 60W... save the earth).

I want it to be able to run Aeon MQ3 eden smoothly and want it to be able to playback anything up to 1080P (including mkv). I will be installing XBMC on top of Windows 7.

I also want to put a Sata3 60 GB SSD in it (since I am finding good deals on those at microcenter).

Anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible?

Also... as silent as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Look for the A6-3500. The integrated video card are powerful enough to play any HD files. Playback consumption is around 35W.

I run the Aon MQ3 and it runs nice.

Other choice would be i3-2100T or the non-T version.
Balinus Wrote:Look for the A6-3500. The integrated video card are powerful enough to play any HD files. Playback consumption is around 35W.

I run the Aon MQ3 and it runs nice.

Other choice would be i3-2100T or the non-T version.

I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to power consumption in computers.

I have been thinking about a A6-3500 build, but its TDP is 65 Watt. Will it always run 35W or less?
cwide Wrote:I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to power consumption in computers.

I have been thinking about a A6-3500 build, but its TDP is 65 Watt. Will it always run 35W or less?

Under playback conditions it will run about 35W and idle at ~28W. Under full load, it will max at around 85W.

If you plan to have lots of high load usage, the Intel CPU are better for power consumption. At playback, it's about the same. But you don't need an additional video card with the AMD A6-3500. Though, some people will argue that you can software decode with the Intel and that you won't need a video card (integrated or descrete).
Balinus Wrote:Under playback conditions it will run about 35W and idle at ~28W. Under full load, it will max at around 85W.

If you plan to have lots of high load usage, the Intel CPU are better for power consumption. At playback, it's about the same. But you don't need an additional video card with the AMD A6-3500. Though, some people will argue that you can software decode with the Intel and that you won't need a video card (integrated or descrete).

That sounds good enough for me. Just wish I could get mac mini power consumption out of a htpc (for less money of course).

I saw that you had a Wesena case on your HTPC. I am thinking about the ITX2 case.... or maybe wait for the ITX1 to come to US since I never use those drives. They are the same size though... so no real aesthetic gain other than losing an option.
cwide Wrote:That sounds good enough for me. Just wish I could get mac mini power consumption out of a htpc (for less money of course).

I saw that you had a Wesena case on your HTPC. I am thinking about the ITX2 case.... or maybe wait for the ITX1 to come to US since I never use those drives. They are the same size though... so no real aesthetic gain other than losing an option.

If you want even lower power consumption, you could look for the E-350 (TDP of 18W). But you might not get quick navigation in XBMC. Though, all media playback will taken care by the integrated video card flawlessly.

I like the ITX7. I don't have a ODD in there, but the option is still possible later on. Note that the ITX7/6 are almost 1 inch taller than the ITX2. If you plan to have a custom heatsink, keep that in mind.
I would go e-350 but I have seen multiple people on here complain about them.

Thanks for all your help. I am definitely leaning A6. I want it to be able to have computing power as well just in case I use it for other things.

I really want to go with the ITX2 case (i like aesthetics way too much). I don't know if you'll have a quick answer for this, but do you think it's possible to go fanless heat sink and install a super quiet case fan? I think that would be ideal unless there is a cost efficient way of avoiding fans altogether in a case like that.
+1 a6-3500
cwide Wrote:I would go e-350 but I have seen multiple people on here complain about them.

Thanks for all your help. I am definitely leaning A6. I want it to be able to have computing power as well just in case I use it for other things.

I really want to go with the ITX2 case (i like aesthetics way too much). I don't know if you'll have a quick answer for this, but do you think it's possible to go fanless heat sink and install a super quiet case fan? I think that would be ideal unless there is a cost efficient way of avoiding fans altogether in a case like that.

For fanless CPU, you might be able. On the ITX7, there is 2 side vent. Only one is occupied with a case fan. There is place for a 2nd one (max width of the fan would be 15mm, not the standard 25mm).

So, if you use 2 outtake fan, air will go through the rear vent, which is located near the CPU. With a good passive heatsink, it might work!

Though, as the ITX2 is smaller, the fans are 40mm and not 80mm. So you are moving less air.

Look for the ITX4: 80mm case fans and no slot-loading ODD.
Do either of you know of a good low profile CPU HSF? (I think needs to be around 40 MM or less if I want to have the SSD and ODD).

Wesena says... "Maximum height of motherboard with everything installed on it is: 1,75”, ~45mm with one HD installed."

I have been looking around for a while and I haven't found anything. Or even a good enough heatsink so I can just do that and 1-2 case fans.

After so much research and not finding a whole lot I am wondering if it is even worth it to get a slightly smaller itx case with a ODD bay I will probably never use.
If you go for i3 2100T (which I did, based on the fact that its real world power consumption is close to Atom while being several orders of magnitude more powerful), the stock fan is extremely low profile and should fit in any case you please.
Begall Wrote:If you go for i3 2100T (which I did, based on the fact that its real world power consumption is close to Atom while being several orders of magnitude more powerful), the stock fan is extremely low profile and should fit in any case you please.

Maybe if I can find a deal on that CPU I would.

As of right now between newegg and microcenter it is about a $50 difference if I went that route instead of the A6-3500.

The 35W TDP is appealing though. Getting by with a 60W picopsu would be amazing. What if I went 620T instead? Would I regret my decision? It definitely doesn't get the same excellent reviews as the i3 on newegg.

EDIT: Actually after all things considered and being able to get a 80W picopsu for cheaper (rather than a 120W for A6-3500) there is only a negligible difference in price.

So really it comes down to around 20W of power savings or a much better GPU.

Dunno.
With the 2100T at least you certainly wouldn't need to purchase an after-market low profile fan, which should cut that $50 difference down a bit. The 620T is a whole different kettle of fish imo. Cheaper yes, but it'll kick out a lot more heat for the same amount of work, meaning either a very expensive low noise/profile fan in addition to it or putting up with more noise and energy usage in a system that is presumably going to be on quite a lot, in a place you want to enjoy media.
It depends of you want to play games or not then.

No game? Go for the i3-2100T (or the non-T version if space permit. Not much difference between the 2 for media playback see here)

If you want to play some games, the A6-3500 will be a better bet.

For media playback, the A6-3500 is rated at ~35W, while the i3 is around 20W, idling is ~21W vs ~12W respectively.

A6-3500
i3-2100T
I don't get it.

Why nobody is recommending the AMD Fusion Plattform?

I got a system with a ASRock E350M1/USB3 and a brick power supply.

It uses 18 Watt in idle and 16 Watt while media Playback (no gui to render).

If you get the asrock mainboard, you'll found a cir header on the mainboard. With this header you're apple to start your pc from s5 via ir remote.

The XBMC gui is really snappy, even with the new xperience1080 skin (under linux).

greetz

regnets

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lowest TDP Mini-ITX build that can play 1080P?0