XBMC as DLNA server for Philips SmartTV
Hi all, I would like to use xbmc, connected to another tv, to stream video library via DLNA to a Philips Smart TV, mainly for HD content (MKV). Can it be done? My tv supports that format, and I saw that It works fine with Tversity installed on my pc.
But if I can try to use XBMC as a DLNA media server, I can browse the folders, but when I try to play any media, it says it is unsupported... Sad

I read many posts, but I haven't found if it works... What's wrong with it?
I use EDEN B1 on ATV2, wired (both atv and philips dlna client).
Thank you in advance
It's most likely your TV that doesn't support the formats. I use XBMC (Eden) to serve all my files to various UPNP endpoints and they all play the files they are capable of.

EDIT - sorry, re-read that it does support it.
Thank you for the feedback. Well.. maybe it could be...
But it's a strange thing, since the TV does support MKVs and it plays them fine connected to usb.
Another strange thing is that it plays them fine using TVersity on a Windows PC. As far as I could see it wasn't transcoding. This evening i will try to completely disable transcoding on Tversity just to check if I'm gonna obtain the same behaviour as with XBMC...

Thank you
I did some further tests:

- XBMC not working neither with SD (avi divx) nor with HD (mkv)
- MINIDLNA on OPENWRT router working fine with SD, not with HD
- uShare on OPENWRT router working fine with SD, not with HD
- Tversity on Windows PC working fine with SD, working (but scattering) with HD movies.

Via usb (connected to the tv) everything works fine.

I also checked the TV specifications. MKV is fully supported and both uShare and Tversity are fully supported as Media Server.

On XBMC UPNP is enabled and i can browse the files but when I try to stream something it says the format is unsupported Huh

But I really would like to connect the disks to the router and stream the contents directly from the router or from the ATV2 via XBMC (preferred solution)...

Thanks
hi there.
I also tried xbmc eden on a windows 7 pc as a server. Same result. I can just browse the files. No way to play them. Can a log file be useful in debug mode?
Thank you in advance.
A log file is always useful, but I'm not sure the iOS support section is the best place to post this since this is not an iOS specific issue.

Look around and see if anyone else has had any luck getting dlna working like this and post in their thread maybe?
Thank you for the answer. I see you moved the thread to the "general" category, thank you for that too. Yes, the behaviorur appears to be the same on both Windows and ATV2 versions.

Well I tried to look for similar experiances in the forums, with no luck (maybe wrong query).

So I will ask:
1) Is XBMC expected to work as a DLNA server for DLNA compatible TVs? With HD content?
2) Is any setting required to make it work? (I already set some like publish DLNA content...)
3) Is anyone using it like this? With Samsung/Philips TVs?

Thank you in advance
Hi there,
I finally found something related. Same behaviour here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ver&page=1

but with Samsung allshare (not philips)
and Dharma (not Eden)

I saw someone patched the 10.1 Windows executable for windows because dlna server implementation lacks some features required. I am wondering if the thing is going to be fixed in Eden next release.

Thank you.
Hi Alextan, thanks for highlighting this issue as I am having the same problem. I would like to use xbmc as a dlna server on my windows 7 pc to stream directly to my D550 Samsung TV but no luck. I would like to be able to choose the files to play via my android using the XBMC android app and have the files play from the windows pv to the tv by selecting the files with my adroid phone, but no luck yet :-(
hey guys, I`m getting this thread alive again... I`m really interested on installing XBMC on my philips LED TV, saw a video of very similar tv to mine with XBMC working just fine. Any updates?
alextan Wrote:I also checked the TV specifications. MKV is fully supported and both uShare and Tversity are fully supported as Media Server.

On XBMC UPNP is enabled and i can browse the files but when I try to stream something it says the format is unsupported Huh

MKV is just a container, even if MKV is fully supported it doesn't guarantee that all *content* in the container is supported.
+1

Using Phillips LCD-LED and looking for a working XBMC DNLA solution too!
Hi there
Same issue here
no perfect solution but by expecrience
Ive found the best DNLA solution was simply Vuze (I have a Mac)
Another thing i'm plannig to try is Jail broken Apple Tv + XBMC , search about it.
If you have a new Mac you can simply use the Apple HDMI cable (found in the Mac Store) and it will transmit both Audio & Video
Philips TV will play MKV I've even watched 3D MKVs via my Philips HTS using Vuze
But I think if a XBMC app where to be developed for the Philips TV to Connect via http then that would solve it , but it will have to be developed by Philips, so I think its not happening.
Hope you found this helpful
Cheers
if somone can make this to work look http://www.yourappontv.com/home
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I have Philips with Smart TV and have dedicated server where I installed the XBMC. Is there any way to see the XBMC user interface on TV via network? I used MediaTomb as UPnP media sever on same box and it worked well with my Philips TV but it's lucking few features. Any suggestions how to couple TV and XBMC via home network are welcome!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC as DLNA server for Philips SmartTV0