Mac mini 2010 - Is Lion a bad idea?
Hi,

I have a 2010 Macmini4,1 (Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz) with the GeForce 320M and 4 GB of RAM.

I've been using it for over a year with XBMC without any problems. I'm now on Eden beta2 and everything works more or less the way it should. It even plays nicely with my Onkyo AVR.

The mini is also my SABnzbd+/CouchPotato/SickBeard/Maraschino/Air Video server.

The question is: will anything break if I install Lion on this thing? The reason I want to do it is because none of the iCloud services (i.e. sync, BTMM) work on this thing since I migrated from MobileMe. And all my other Macs are on Lion and I'm kind of used to it.

Most of what I do with this computer is related to XBMC and I can live with the lack of iCloud if Lion is going to hurt my XBMC experience (or any other service I'm running). I configured a VPN server just to be able to use the mini remotely, but I'd rather use BTMM and forget about the VPN.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Mac Mini 2014 Dual-Core i7 3.0Ghz | 8GB LPDDR3 SDRAM | Intel Iris Graphics | 256GB PCIe Flash | Synology DS412+ with 11 TB | 1 TB Time Capsule | Samsung 65" UE65HU8500 | Denon AVR-X2100W | Jamo S 426 HCS 3 5.0 Speaker system | Yamaha YST-SW012 Subwoofer | Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) | Kodi Alpha
Don't do it.

- Lion has problems waking up from suspend
- Problems with HDMI audio output
- iTunes might take over the remote control and key presses are being sent to it
Thank you!

I hardly ever use the Apple remote so iTunes taking over wouldn't bother me so much. The wakeup issues, I have read that they are mostly related to the Apple remote or the mouse. I use a bluetooth keyboard from my couch, so I guess I could live with that too.

I had read about the audio problems. I had just figured that after a while, they had been resolved by Lion updates and/or XBMC updates. If sound problems persist, this is definitely the show stopper for me, since I recently acquired my AVR and I don't want to compromise this setup.

So, unless anyone else has any other input, I'll be taking toiva's advice and I will not be upgrading to Lion for the time being.

Cheers!
Mac Mini 2014 Dual-Core i7 3.0Ghz | 8GB LPDDR3 SDRAM | Intel Iris Graphics | 256GB PCIe Flash | Synology DS412+ with 11 TB | 1 TB Time Capsule | Samsung 65" UE65HU8500 | Denon AVR-X2100W | Jamo S 426 HCS 3 5.0 Speaker system | Yamaha YST-SW012 Subwoofer | Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) | Kodi Alpha
arubinst Wrote:Hi,

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I moved to lion in order to use iCloud... and it works nice.... but it messed up a lot of things and even after a lot of time trying to set up again everything, I still missing snow leopard.
I have Lion on my 2009 MBP and I have none of these issues (n/a on the HDMI audio, since I don't have audio over HDMI and I don't use my optical output right now).
Thank you guys!

As I said, I use Lion on every other Mac I have and it grew on me. I kind of like it.

iCloud is not a big deal, but since my main computer is on Lion, all my contacts and calendar information is no longer syncing with MobileMe which is the only choice on the mini, as long as I keep Snow Leopard. This also means that BTMM no longer works and remote access to my information is a little bit less comfortable.

But HDMI audio **IS** a big deal. A lot more important than "nice" or "comfortable".

Oh well... let's see what 10.7.3 will bring...
MAc mini 2009 lion is kind ofa pain.

Standby not working correct. Waking up part
iTunes stealing remote
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
idioteque Wrote:MAc mini 2009 lion is kind ofa pain.

Standby not working correct. Waking up part
iTunes stealing remote

You could try an dissable wake on lan in system settings. And install a patch that restart the XBMC remote on wakeup. Both sees to be working for me, but the downside is that you can not power on the Mac from LAN. Probably an issue when using it with all the TV-show downloading, AirServer, etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac mini 2010 - Is Lion a bad idea?0